Bicyclist Hit By Snow Plow Identified

FRIDLEY, Minn. (WCCO) — A bicyclist who was hit and killed by a snow plow early New Year’s Day has been identified.

The Anoka County Sheriff’s Office said Kerry Steven Baker died when a private snow plow struck him in the 4700 block of East River Road in Fridley, Minn. It happened just before 7 a.m. and was very dark outside, police said.

Baker, 46, was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash. There were also no lights on his bicycle.

The snow plow, which was not plowing snow at the time, was going south on East River Road. Baker was going north in the same lane when he collided with the plow truck.

The plow driver hit the brakes but could not avoid hitting the bicyclist, police said.

Baker had massive injuries including multiple broken bones and internal damage to his organs. He died at the scene.

Dorian Grilley, of Bicycle Alliance of Minnesota (BikeMN), said this incident highlights the need for bicyclists to take safety precautions and for motorists to watch out for whoever else is using the road.

State law requires bicyclists to have a headlight that can be seen from 500 feet or a full city block. They also must have a rear reflector, so approaching cars can see them.

Comments

1. Ole says:

I’m totally with you about being green and how motorists need to pay more attention, but come on. This guy was riding his bike in the dark, with no lights, no reflective gear, no helmet, AND he was going the wrong way. The plow driver is not to blame, and he certainly is not guilty of murder.

1. Go Green! says:

NO!!!! Motorists do not care about bicyclists and this is a perfect example. Why did the motorist not obey the law and give right of way to the bicycllist? Why? Because motorists are fossil-fuel burning road hogs who hate the environment and have no regard for anything or anyone other than themselves.

1. Ole says:

Ok, I now get that you’re just joking, that you’re inciting people’s comments. Stop making a bad name for people who care about the planet.

2. rightwingnut says:

For the record, this comment is not in reply to Outlaw Biofuels. This comment was in response to Dale Gribble, who left an ignorant comment (kind of like the one below) that was removed. I guess the first comment was removed by WCCO.

2. Ralph Nyquist says:

You may want to look again at the article. The bicyclist was in the wrong lane, no helmet, no lights on in the dark. This one is on the biker.

1. Go Green! says:

NO!!!! The law says that a motorist must ALWAYS yield for a bicyclist, no matter what! Motorists are destroying the planet and killing innocent bicyclists every day. All motorists are complicit in mass murder and the ecological terrorism.

1. realist04 says:

You are an idiot. Go hug a tree and freeze while I DRIVE home, sit in my WARM house, EAT MEAT, and relax while watching TV on my BIG SCREEN TV.
        Mororist do no ALWAYS need to yield to a bicyclist. Riders and Drivers SHARE the road you twit. If the bike was going the wrong way, no reflecters, lights and in the middle of winter during a snow storm… Well, too bad for the idiot riding the bike.

2. poodie says:

Biker was in the wrong lane. By definition he was breaking the law by riding the wrong way. Your ALWAYS isn’t.

3. Calling it the way I see it says:

i agree with Ralph. Wasn’t he on the wrong side of the street. And no helmet or lights? Both laws in Minnesota for motorcycles. Totally on the biker here! Feel bad for the driver of the truck……as well for the rider. This is just bad incendent any way you look at it.

4. tan pup says:

Also, early on New Years day – just after it snowed and with ice under that! Excuse me, but that is just stupid – riding on ice and snow; in the dark with no reflectors – oh and lets not forget the 60 MPH wind gusts that day! G0 Green I think you are still hazy from gettig too much “green” over new years!

5. bob dobbs says:

The guy didn’t see a F###ING snow plow coming directly at him? Really? Wouldn’t most people get the F outta the way? God weeds out the stupid, I guess.

1. Ryanba says:

I have to agree, I kind of wonder if the biker didn’t intend to do this. I just can’t imagine how he couldn’t have seen, or heard the plow coming. Feel bad for the plow driver

2. Wube says:

genome468 on January 14, 2011 i checked out your site. not bad. its done etptry much like craigslist so i enjoyed the familiarity. A question tho. how long has the site been up? This can grow to be a big thing just like craigslist.. good luck to ya

6. Ben Dover says:

Go Green, you are Sofa King Stupid.

7. M says:

Here is a helpful link for “rules of the road”…in case anyone is confused…GoGreen, for example

8. Alex says:

Go Green, Have you taking any pills before post this comment? I think you are drug over doses.

9. Smartenough not to rid bike in Snow and Ice says:

I couldn’t have said it better myself

1. BRITTANY says:

THAT WAS MY UNCLE YOUR TALKING ABOUT AND HOW ABOUT THIS SMARTENOUGH NOT TO RIDE A BIKE IN SNOW…… WELL BE SMART ENOUGH AND GO FIND ANOTHER DAY TIME JOB!!!! THIS ONE AINT WORKING FOR YOU I WILL NOT STAND FOR YOU CRULE COMMENTS ANYMORE !!!!! YOU DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED ONLY KERRY AND THE SNOW PLOW DRIVER DO SO LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!! THANKS

10. rj says:

get a life, all of you.

11. brittany says:

o my. listen to all the tree huggers! wow! how is the plow truck at fault? the bicyclist had no safety for him self. It was dark out how would you expect for a truck to see him and while he was going the wrong direction? there is no way that the truck driver is at fault just shows that you tree huggers dont use common sense!!

12. Are You Kidding... says:

If I am on a bike, day or night, I am going to watch out and move out of the way of ANYTHING that can hit and kill me. right of way or not! Then I’m going home to me warm house to eat meat and watch my big screen!

13. Mike says:

It is a amazing all of the negative comments….it seems that Go Green is just trying to stir up trouble…..it is apparent that biker was at fault simply by going the wrong way, in the dark, with no safety features, after a snowstorm, on a 4 lane road whose speed limit is at least 45 MPH. However, the same thing could have happened on a sunny summer day. Going the wrong way almost guarantees you will get hit, regardless of the surroundings and environment.

14. digger says:

Go Green,
    did you write the skit man on the street ?????? cause reading all of these peoples comments that can’t read between the lines you wrote is hilarious :]
    But on a serious note, it is sadfor his friends and family that he died. But God does weed out the stupid.

15. Sean says:

I could barely drive a car on the ice Sunday morning, how could anyone ride a bike on the ice? This is very sad, but a legit question?

1. Brett says:

Very legit, a really stupid ‘biker’ got WHACKED because he failed to exercise GOOD JUDGEMENT. A rebel with a a ’cause’, I guess.

16. I brake for no bike says:

@Go Green- “innocent man is dead because of..” blah blah blah. What actual evidence is there the plow was doing anything wrong? On the contrary, the biker was the irresponsible one (as most of them are) riding the wrong way into opposing traffic. P.S. the law has never required motorists to give right of way to bicyclists. As a matter of fact, bicyclists are subject to the same rules and regulations that govern motor vehicles.

1. Brett says:

HERE, HERE!! A note to all of you ‘hardcore’ bicyclists out there…. Just because you ride a ‘green vehicle’, it doesn’t mean that you can ignore the LAW or the LAWS of PHYSICS. Ride stupidly, and if the ‘law’ doesn’t ticket you, the laws of PHYSICS just might take your life. There is a difference between ‘intelligence’ and WISDOM….

17. Brett says:

I wonder if this was the same guy who I saw about a month ago, riding a bike along southbound University Ave. (a 50 mph zone) in December right about sunset, during our first ‘snowstorm’. Visibility was about 1/8th of a mile, it was getting dark really fast, and I saw this idiot riding a bike with NO helmet, NO lights, and he looked like he was in his mid 40’s, give or take. Hey, if you want to play ‘chicken’ on a busy road with speed limits around 45 mph on a bike in the middle of winter, while it is snowing, GO FOR IT. It’s not illegal, but it is REALLY, REALLY, STUPID. One would think that someone above the age of 40 would know better, but I guess NOT. The only victim here was the snowplow driver, who never expected to see an idiot riding a bicycle, riding the wrong way, with NO LIGHTS, at NIGHT, on a snowy evening/night. If you really feel the ‘need’ to ride a bicycle during the winter here, I suggest that you stay on all of the OVERPRICED BIKE TRAILS, sidewalks, and ride during DAYLIGHT, if you want to LIVE. Just because you have gone ‘green’ doesn’t mean that you have more ‘rights’ than ANYBODY ELSE.

1. BRITTANY says:

YOU ARE CRULE LEAVE IT ALONE YOU DO NOT KNOW HIM AND YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THAT NIGHT ONLY KERRY AND THE SNOWPLOW DRIVER DO. SO GO DO SOMETHING ELSE WITH YOUR LIFE THIS IS NOT RIGHT AT ALL. YOU DISGUST ME. OHH AND BY THE WAYY DONT CALL MY UNCLE STUPID!!

18. Peace says:

I don’t think it was a matter of the truck not yeilding to the bike, it was that the truck driver did not see the bike until it was too late. The biker chose to break several laws that cost him his life. I hope this sends a strong message to other bikers to please obeys the laws, they are not just there to take away your fun, but rather to save your lives.

1. Go Green!! says:

The laws are written to support Big Oil and Detroit. Those trying to reduce our carbon footprint and save the planet are marked for death. The blood is on the hands of anyone who drives a car. Murderers!!!!

19. Brittany says:

To all that are saying nothing but bad things about my uncle, STOP, only the snow plow driver and Kerry know what happened . you guys are going off of what you guys heard and thats not right it DISGUSTES me looking at all the nbad you guys can say about someone you dont even know. thats wrong and i will not stand for this. Brett yu are mean and crule and just stop go find something bettter to do . and this is to SMART ENOUGH NOT TO RIDE A BIKE IN SNOW

20. no good people ! says:

To Brett you must not have a life i know exactaly who you are. you live at home with your mom sleep in the same bed as your mom, you have about 4 cats and your girlfriend is a blow up doll. and you have the nerve to sit here and talk about somebody. why dont you get your life together and stop wearing your mothers clothes and find a life of your own!!

21. jamie super says:

you ppl have no heart at all that is my uncle….so while you all sit on here talking bad he is gone in heaven wow i hope all you small minded ppl are happy with what your saying i don’t ever wish upon anybody to have a family member killed by a snow plow RIP UNCLE KERRY I LOVE YOU

22. Samuel says:

Hi, a fellow hcolsohmoeer visiting from the hop! well, yeah, homeschooling is kind of a limited subject, but you are right, it is really our one big hobby/job so we think about it a lot and write about it a lot. I do think though, that when we share what we do, crafts/lessons/read alouds and resources we use, that even non-homeschool moms might find something useful/fun they can do afterschool or on a weekend, so I figure it is all good and we can all learn from each other. it’s nice to meet you, I love the name of your blog, very sweet.