The Good Life For Less: Best Buys For January
If one of your goals is to save more money in the New Year, I’ve got a list of things that are historically on sale in January — if you’re not shopped-out from December that is.
• Home Remodeling Items– Services, materials, flooring, and carpet typically go on sale in January because the demand is down. Many people hustled before the holiday to get their last-minute home projects done before company came over. That’s makes January a perfect time for you to think about your remolding projects.
• Jewelry — December is a big month for buying diamonds — you know there’s been many a man who got sucked into getting his wife a sparkly gift because of all the commercials. But with a little patience, you could’ve got more for your money after the holidays. Plus, jewelry stores have got to restock with Valentine’s Day merchandise. Buy early in January.
• Vacations — Just like the travel slump between Thanksgiving and Christmas — there’s another slump right after the holidays. You can get rock-bottom prices the first week of the New Year. Traveling later in the month? You will want to think of the quick weekend getaways — Vegas, Chicago, Orlando, etc.
• The Big-Ticket Summer Items — In mid-winter, spending time relaxing outside is usually not top of mind, but it should be. Low demand means you can find patio furniture and grills on sale. They are usually last year’s models, however. Also, it’s a great time to look at investing in an energy-efficient air conditioner. You can find them at great prices in winter and it will save you money on energy right off the bat come summertime. Don’t forget to see if it qualifies for a tax credit, too.
• Winter Gear — I noticed lots of winter coats and boots on sale around Christmas but January gives even steeper discounts. If you are still looking for the perfect winter gear — look now. If you are looking for winter sporting gear — like skis — you should wait until the end of the season.
• Electronics — Right after Christmas and before the Super Bowl there is a magical time that HDTVs, stereo systems and home theaters go on sale — often times lower than Black Friday sales. You may not get the crazy-low prices some stores offer on Black Friday, but you will get name-brand merchandise. You may also see more open-box items (from returns) or store display TVs for sale. Don’t be deterred from buying them because they usually come with the same warranty.
Of course you don’t need reminding that if your resolution is to pay down debt — making big purchase isn’t the way to go. But these are things to keep in mind when the next January rolls around.
Know of any other deals? Share them with other ‘Good Lifers’ in the comment section. You can also read more money-saving blog posts here and text WCCODEALS to 81807 for a ‘deals of the week’ reminder.