Charges: Man Raped Woman Who Agreed To Clean Apt.

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — A 49-year-old St. Paul man has been accused of raping a woman after she agreed to clean his apartment, according to the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office.

The Attorney’s Office charged Steven Francis Martinez with one count each of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and kidnapping in connection with the alleged rape, beating and confinement of the St. Paul woman.

According to the criminal complaint, on Sunday, St. Paul Police responded to the call from the victim who told she had been held against her will, beaten and sexually assaulted by a man she knew as “King Steve.” She said she met him at a casino and agreed to clean his apartment for money.

There, he allegedly partially shaved the victim’s head, strangled her with a razor’s cord and raped her. She was able to flee, but did not remember which apartment she had been in.

Later, police were able to determine Martinez’s address and arrested him without incident, authorities said.

Inside his apartment, police found the victim’s cell phone, purse and Minnesota ID. Police also discovered a pair of hair clippers as well as a trash bag with a large amount of brown hair.

“This is a truly disturbing and unsettling case,” said County Attorney John Choi. “Quick cooperation between the St. Paul Police and Dakota County Sheriff’s Office brought this individual in quickly.”

If convicted, Martinez could face up to 30 years in prison for the sexual conduct charge and up to 40 years on the kidnapping charge.

Comments

1. Sandy says:

Dirt bag, “King Steve” is the first red flag. God bless the victim, may she find strength in other and may the string Steve up, or, throw away the key.

1. King Jeff says:

Don’t be so quick to judge…Innocent until proven Guilty!

1. Tina says:

I know him he’s guilty!

2. Turtle says:

Sounds like marriage.

3. Bill Clintons Cigar says:

My apt is so dirty! So dirty!!!!!!!

4. mel says:

HOrrifying! I hope this girl has a good support system; she’s going to need it. Lots of prayers headed her way.

5. bringbalance says:

It is crazy to me that in MN you can get 30 years for sexual misconduct and 40 years for kidnapping but yet people get 13 years for murder.

I am not saying the the perpetrator should get and less time if convicted but our sentencing guidelines are absolutely insane.

1. bringbalance says:

I should clarify, 13 years for murder committed by knife or other object, up to 20 for firearm.

1. bringbalance says:

I would imagine if you are dead that you don’t really care if it was a knife or a gun…you’re just as dead either way.

2. Upset Mother says:

It blows my mind that the man who broke 24 ribs on a 6 WEEK old baby only gets 8 and half years. The sentancing guidelines are a joke. There is no rhyme or reason to them.

6. See BS says:

Sounds more like she is a “Woman of the night” if she looks for cleaning jobs at the Casino.Hey! Baby!! You wanna come over to my house and wash my Dishes?

Was the victim under the influence of drugs or alcohol when the police showed up?

1. BS to See BS says:

Wow…..this is all of a sudden her fault?? Are you a freind of King Steve or something?

2. alligator says:

and YOU sound like a f’n moron…..i’d like to bash you AND the perpetrator in the face with a sledge hammer.

3. Scuba Steve says:

I agree. She is partially to blame. She wasnt kidnapped and brought to the apartment. She met a STRANGER at a casino and went to his place to “clean” his apartment? How stupid are you. Take responsibility for your actions. If I step into a lions cage I cant get mad when the lion tears me to shreds.

7. Coolbreeze says:

I fail to see the crime here.

8. Tamed says:

That guy use to work with me. I thought was he a giddy person. But ick… This is disgusting. My work place is full of criminals!!!!😦

9. calatrash says:

I personally have met KING STEVE. He was arrested on drug charges a few weeks prior to this incident. He needed his apartment cleaned because the cops who raided his apt. trashed it. After he was arrested ,the door did not get locked so “neighbors” helped themselves,too. Had he been STILL locked up, this incident probably would never have occurred. He is or at least was on probation previously. The last time I saw him he looked very tweaky.GIRLS-DO NOT GO HOME WITH STRANGE MEN. ESPECIALLY IF THEY SAY ALL THEY WANT IS THEIR APT. CLEANED!!!!!!!! DON’T BE SO GULLIBLE.

10. calatrash says:

Another thing about this case- Where were the other 4 apartments with tenants in them? No one heard a thing–RIGHT??? I see the victim is the one who called police. Way to look out for your neighbors. Yea, I understand that the issue of Steve being a tenant is beyond my comprehension as well. Regardless,if someone was attacking one of you, wouldn’t you expect someone to care enough to call for help? Wake up here. When people with sketchy lives of their own do not demand better neighbors from the property manager because of their own behaviors? That is why this naive woman nearly DIED. Shame on all of you who tuned out the noise.

1. alligator says:

another moron….hey jackwagon, did it ever occur to your idiotic brain that maybe there wasn’t any noise to have alerted the neighbors?….YOU and this king ahole deserve to be removed from this earth.

2. Melissa Andrle says:

not one of the people who lived there helped me and two of them took pictures of me and sent them to who ever cuz he asked them to apt #3 thanks lady you said u was gonna help me and he almost killed me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am NOT OK