Freeman To Announce Bill To Protect Vulnerable

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A new bill being introduced this session would make neglecting a vulnerable adult a more serious crime.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, Sen. Warren Limmer and others will hold a news conference Thursday to announce the new legislation.

The bill would make it a felony to neglect a vulnerable adult. Freeman’s office says that currently, even the most severe forms of neglect can only be charged as a gross misdemeanor — and carry no prison time.

The bill will be announced at 3 p.m. Thursday at the Hennepin County Government Center.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Paul Simon says:

Great news long overdue.

2. Renesha Motten says:

C’mon man, I just needed a few things.

3. Kevin says:

Who thinks up this shi*? Shouldnt the be finding ways to cut my taxes…..or cut entitlements…..or improve the employment opportunitites…..just wondering…I mean we are in the worse recession since the great depression…..and this is the best they have???? We are all scrw*d…..

1. sarn says:

Nothing against “vulnerable adults” and I certainly don’t condone their caretakers neglecting them but you’re right. We as a society have much bigger problems than making sure somebody gets more severe punishment for neglecting “vulnerable adults”.

4. Sal-E says:

Is it just me or are there more people needing jobs than there are vulnerable adults needing justice for being neglected?

1. tan pup says:

I guess you don’t understand what vulnerable adults means. Do you also enjoy running over small animals in the street ?

1. stp says:

If they’re in the way of my big tricked out Hummer… Yes.

2. sarn says:

I understand what it means. It’s just that it’s a rather broad category and the article isn’t really specific as to what type of “vulnerable adults” they are speaking of. It could be a drunk guy as his judgment is impaired and that makes him vulnerable so will I be charged with a felony if I can’t stop a guy from driving drunk? Small people can be vulnerable as well, do I get charged for not breaking up a fight between a big guy and a little guy. And to answer your question, no I do not enjoy running over small animals in the street I just feel that there are more important issues to address than this one though I’m not stating that it isn’t important at all either.

5. Tim says:

Wow a bunch of winners here so far. So jobs are the only issue at all?? forget everything and everyone else?

1. Etan says:

Nobody has stated that “jobs are the only issue at all”, just that they believe there are more important issues to address. If you have one issue that needs to be addressed due to a couple of unfortunate instances and another issue that needs to be addressed due to several million unfortunate instances and is causing more problems then which issue do you address first Tim?

6. See BS says:

No one will want to work in Nursing homes if they get too carried away with these laws.

1. Citizen says:

@See. Ri-i-i-ght. So when an vulnerable elderly adult is left dirty, unattended, and overmedicated almost to the point of death, no charges should be more than a misdemeanor? Really? And before you say that doesn’t happen, I have personally witnessed this problem. Overmedication is very, very common to keep dementia nursing home patients calm. It’s called medical restraint, and it can kill. And it is easy for the medical community to administer. After all, it is VERY difficult to prove medical malpractice. Sounds as though it would be much easier to go after someone who caused another’s death under this new law.

2. Citizen says:

@See. Ri-i-i-ght. So when an vulnerable elderly adult is left dirty, unattended, and overmedicated almost to the point of death, no charges should be more than a misdemeanor? Really? And before you say that doesn’t happen, I have personally witnessed this problem. Overmedication is very, very common to keep dementia nursing home patients calm. It’s called medical restraint, and it can kill. And it is easy for the medical community to administer. After all, it is VERY difficult to prove medical malpractice. Sounds as though it would be much easier to go after someone who caused a vulnerable adult’s death under this new law.

7. Citizen says:

Sorry for the duplicate comment. You can thank ‘CCO’s WordPress program for that!