Rep. Smith Accused Of Sexual Relationship With Staffer

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — A top Republican in the Minnesota House lost his committee chairmanship, and a female staffer was transferred, after he admitted to a sexual relationship with her.

Republican Rep. Steve Smith, of Mound, was removed as chairman of the Judiciary Committee and the Ethics Committee after the relationship was revealed.

GOP sources confirm the incident in August and cite “personal issues” for the demotion.

The female staffer was re-assigned to another committee and no longer works at the House.

Representative Smith did not return our call for comment.

Comments

1. G Dog says:

The party of FAMILY VALUES strikes again!!!!

1. s says:

I wish CCO would give a little more story then just this little bit I dont doubt he did it at all its like high school all over again

2. tfrds says:

You are only disapppointed because the party you support demands things from others and takes them where the conservatives work for something. Not the dumbocrats, with them its give me give me.

1. Citizen says:

@tfrds. It rather appears that the GOP is the party of “give, me, give me, give me sex!”

3. gigi (Jean Schiebel) says:

This may be the Republicans way of getting rid of a Moderate..no real evednce here..Lets see how this plays out

2. Ace says:

What a hypocrite

3. Balanced Beam says:

Actually, he voted against the proposed marriage amendment. He’ll look comfy in the DFL caucus this session.

4. Conservative Dude says:

Again, it looks like the party held one of its own to the standard they profess. He lost his committee chair positions.

1. Lee says:

Yes the party really held one to its own standard. If that had been a DFLer there would be such yelling and they would have driven that person out of his office with tar and feathers. Standard? If you mean hypocracy you are right. He was a Republican, therefore, he made a mistake and is not required to give up his position. At least the Republican female who did the same thing a month or so ago had the decency not to run again. Male Republican’s are not held to the same moral interpretude as female Republicans and others I guess. Shame on you people.

1. Conservative Dude says:

Really? Do you have any idea how many DFLers have had and are currently having relationships with staffers at the legislature? You obviously have no experience whatsoever at the State Office Building. It’s not even a secret.

1. Frankie says:

If it is not even a secret why is it not in the news. Right wing rhetoric, say something over and over again and people will believe it without proof.

5. Richard in Minneapolis says:

Why don’t we just recognize that sex is what men and women (yeah, I know, and some same sex pairs) do and just drop all this sanctimonious, pious baloney!

1. jackactionhero says:

Because it is not ethical to dip your pen in company ink, especially where there may be conflicts of interest involved.

6. Murph says:

I’ll bet the other commitee is getting a little these days! Too bad that these despicable false prophets called the GOP even exist! At least they are doing to each other what they want to do to us!Listening to the debates,for some reason Paul Simons lyrics keep pounding thru my head from his song “Sound of Silence”! It all will become clear and the haunt you too, if you remember the words.If not look them up!Now there was a real prophet,or just someone who recognized hypocrits long before the rest of us.No amount of Faux TV Australian seasoning can paint a pretty picture of today’s GOP! They are the dirty diaper of America! P.. freakin U..! Romneys lead most certainly shows just that!

1. Jake says:

Murph is right. There should only be one political party. The DFL. We would also need some lumberjacks. I mean, someone needs to cut down the trees to make the paper to print all that money nobody actually earns.

7. helpermonkey says:

Ahhhh… The unseasonably warm weather… trees budding… squirrels frolicking… the GOP engaging in closeted sexual conduct… it must be spring! Or, maybe its only Congress returning to session.

1. Murph says:

I never thought I could love a monkey! I never caught a rabbit,but if I had a penny for every republican dollar,I admit, it could become a habit! So if you disagree from what I have to say,when the GOP has had their way,pray I’ll be there to save the day.As sure as republicans are rabid!

8. Ain't got time to be searched says:

Well, at least we now know the real reason why they couldn’t get their work done on time.

9. charles says:

once again, you can’t make this stuff up. Keep on rollin’ GOP. Rollin’ RIGHT OUT THE DOOR!

10. Kevin says:

Good lord….who is left to sleep with down there????? Joe the janitor?

1. Amy K says:

Naw. Joe’s pretty easy. Nobody left.

11. Oops Wrong Head says:

Being chariman of the Ethics Committee must have gone to his head.

12. Ben Dover says:

Those randy, coked-out republicans. Spend a night with them and you’ll see God too!

1. shove it up the old tail pipe and smoke it says:

Coke? When did drugs come into the picture? Seems to me you are exaggerating a bit here. “horned up” maybe, but coked uP? I would call that outright lieing on your part mr. Bend Over……

13. Esmay says:

I hope he ends up in the same cell with Mr. Sandusky. Can’t believe he’s on the street right now considering the girl had just turned 15 in September. He needs some serious jail time. What did her parents do? Jr. High student. Amazing boldness.

1. helpermonkey says:

She was only 15?? Geez. To quote the great Jim Croce…
      “Five short minutes of lovin’
      gon’ cost you 20 long years in jail.”

1. esmaylying says:

Somebodies pullin your leg helpermonkey. It was sombodies 28 year old wife. Ethical dude.

14. See BS says:

Minnesota people are so uptight about sex.

15. Bunny says:

Who care who they have sex with. I mean really people. I would think you would be more concerned about who is in their back pockets, What is their platform, are they doing their job in representing you or are they crooked and just worrying about their own wallet. Things like this are MUCH more important then who they sleep with. Hell, they are all getting sex. Get over it!

16. tom says:

He was just staying after work talkng about family values.

17. Citizen says:

For Bunny who is trying to make “light” of the problem. The real problem is a privileged relationship for a staffer that may entitle that staffer to a promotion, raises, perks, etc. Gives the staffer undue influence with Smith. Also, the question here is did Smith use his supervisory position of power to coerce the female staffer into the relationship? Did the staffer use sex to obtain these favors? Sex is the proof, but the underlying questions as to why, what, and how are what’s important. And for you CONservatives who are so concerned about work, you can probably bet that there were “wasted” hours during the day at the taxpayers’ expense!

18. Tired of adulterous GOP's up North says:

Does GOP stand for Goofy ol’ Pervs?

1. Citizen says:

In the past it stood for “Grand old Pedophiles.” Remember the page scandals of a past decade? Also, stands for “Greedy old politicians.”

1. Shame says:

So they can not pack the puddy anymore and get a promotion? Why that is terrible and sooooooooooooo un-GOP like. No wonder Bachmann called it a day lol

19. Rocket Scientist says:

Does the GOP have their own secret rendevous room at the capital?

20. Citizen says:

I’m sure a desk and a locked door will do!

1. frozenrunner says:

Out the back door of the capitol and down the hill there is a motel. They can’t use the one by the freeway as many legislators stay there from outstate.

21. jimmy says:

Now we know how the GOP would handle a cheating man. No press conference, no interviews with the paper, just a press release on the hush hush.

22. Red light producer says:

The movie is coming out shortly for 19.99!

23. save a relationship says:

The fast black

24. smith473 says:

You ought to take part in a contest for one of the highest quality blogs on the web. I most certainly will highly recommend this blog!

25. Save my Relationship says:

The fast way to save my relationship and stop the pain

26. game key says:

Hello there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this web site.