Savage Officer Hurt In Squad Crash Has Started Talking

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The Savage police officer who was seriously hurt in a squad car crash has started talking, according to his wife.

Officer Frank Mackall was responding to a call on Jan. 2 when he lost control and hit a tree. He was extracted from the vehicle and airlifted to North Memorial Hospital.

His wife, Lisabeth, posted on Mackall’s CaringBridge site that he began talking early Wednesday morning.

“Frank appeared to be resting, but when I put my hand on his chest he immediately opened his eyes. What I noticed right away was that it was not just opening his eyes, but he looked right at me,” she writes. “I asked him how he was, and he tried to tell me something in a whisper.”

Comments

1. Thin Blue Line says:

Awesome news! Get well soon, boss!

2. Thurman Merman says:

@fair is fair-your idiocy is so obvious. As a matter of fact, he was on a call when he crashed. He was six blocks away from a call of a prowler. Easy for you to Monday-morning-quarterback his actions when you have little to no knowledge of the situation beyond what the media has told you. Thank God the law enforcement community has idiots who think that just because they pay taxes, they have the right to judge municipal workers on how they perform their job. And I’m sure if the prowler were at YOUR house, you’d want the cops to drive the wheels off their squads to get there and stop the guy. It’s a nice double-standard.

3. Fellow Officer says:

As a fellow police officer I am very happy to hear Frank is doing better. I truly appreciate all the supportive comments from most people online but have to be honest, I am seeing more negative anti-police comments as of lately and it’s very troubling. If the nay-sayers think the job of a police officer is so easy they should. I don’t think most would even pass the sniff test let alone the battery of tests officer candiates have to go through. I hear every day, “But I pay your salary, I am a tax payer”. I respond, “I am a taxpayer too so I am self employed”. That quickly shuts people up! 🙂

Thanks again for the comments of support, they do far outnumber the idiots like fair, who as Thurman pointed out, has not grasp on what really happened. He is most likely the same type of person who would say a landing was rough on an airplane thinking he knows more than the pilot.

A fellow officer.

1. itsgottahurt says:

Rent-a-cop…..nice

4. Jad says:

I don’t ever need them. I am a voluntaryst I protect myself and my home they are nothing but thugs with badges the farther away from me the better.

1. Adam says:

Ya until you get t-boned right in your drivers door. I would like you to tell the cop to stay away and not try to help save your dumb a$$…or you get caught on the toilet as somebody kicks in your front door. Real smart…

5. northern minnesota says:

I would have a agree with Jared on that one. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very glad that this officer is showing improvement. So many times i have seen officers not wearing seat belts and how about cops talking on cell phones while driving. Practice what you preach.

1. ez says:

There is nothing wrong with talking on your cell phone when driving. In fact even using a computer of texting is allowed by law enforcement officers while on duty. As to the seat belt, see my comment above.

6. @Jad says:

We’re all impressed you protect your apartment, you don’t mention protecting your family, thats a real surprise you don’t have anyone in your life, 24/7 alone dah winning jad!

1. J says:

Hey dumb a$$, I own two homes two kids and a wife. So shut the f^%k up.

7. Thurman Merman says:

Yep. Earlier articles said he did.

8. MN Cop says:

If your community is participating in the blue light program (check with your local law enforcement) please stop down and buy a blue lightbulb. Proceeds will help the Schneider family as they cope with the loss of Shawn in Lake City (at least that is where my community is sending it…may be that some will help out Mackall’s family). If not stop at your local hardware store and buy one. Replace your porch or exterior garage lights with it and leave it on through the month of January in support of the brave men and women in MN who risk their lives everyday to keep you safe. Especially Shawn Schneider and Frank Mackall.

Thank you for the positive comments!

9. MN Cop says:

If your community is participating in the blue light program (check with your local law enforcement) please stop down and buy a blue lightbulb. Proceeds will help the Schneider family as they cope with the loss of Shawn (at least that is where my community is sending it…may be that some will help out Mackall’s family). If not stop at your local hardware store and buy one. Replace your porch or garage lights with it and leave it on through the month of January in support of the brave men and women in MN who risk their lives everyday to keep you safe. Especially Shawn Schneider and Frank Mackall.

1. MN Cop says:

Sorry for the 2nd…posted the draft by mistake…