Report: Biking Safer, More Popular In Mpls.

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A new report shows safer biking in the Twin Cities as well as more riders and trails.

The City of Minneapolis Bicycling Account unveiled its first-ever report to the Minneapolis City Council on Tuesday.

Between 2007 and 2011, the number of bicyclists in the city had increased 47 percent, according to the bicycling account.

The report showed not only had bicycle traffic numbers increased, but also the crash rate was down.

According to the bicycling account, the annual bicyclist-motorist crash rate was down from 10 percent to 4 percent of all bicycle commuters over the last 18 years.

The report also cited some of the improvements made to Cedar Lake Trail, RiverLake Creenway, Bryant Avenue and the Hiawatha Light Rail Trail connection.

In 2011, the city added 37 miles of bikeways, adding up to a total of 167. This puts the city 11 miles short of their goal to have 178 miles by 2015.

Comments

1. mwallek says:

No mandatory lighting for night riding. No registration and licsence in case of hitting a pedestrian (which I have seen) and riding blythly onward. No insurance. A general lack of signaling intentions and generally sloppy adherance to rules of the road. I’d say there was a LONG way to go bringing bikes into the commuter picture.

1. Ace says:

I couldn’t have said it better

2. jk says:

Moved here from Colorado 1 year ago and I could not agree more…thank you.

3. KirkL. says:

There is a law on the books in regards to having lights at night on a bicycle. Perhaps you ought to check facts before you rant.

The adherence to the rules of the road by bicyclists is about the same as that of people in cars. Bring more people on bicycles into the commuter picture is more about the length or time of the commute and desire to be fit.

1. Swamp Rat says:

@KirkL.
        Have to agree with mwallek’s original statements. The biking situation in the TC Metro is still the Wild West thus far when it comes to adherence to vehicle safety laws and just plain courteous common sense toward others. As a driver, pedestrian, and a bicyclist I speak from experience. Sorry, chum, the bicycling community needs to improve itself immensely to the safety rules and common courtesies before this bicyclist agrees with you.

1. KirkL. says:

@ Rat. You guys must choose to not see the safe bicyclists out there. Nowhere did I say all cyclists were good. You don’t notice them. You notice the idiots on two wheels. In regards to the original statement. State law: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/bike/pdfs/MN-BIKE-LAW-CARD.pdf
          Pretty simple, enforcement is the bigger issue. Did see a cop enforce it once. Not their higher priority. Sort of like the idiots driving 45 down residential streets. It is not a high priority. More taxes for more police?

1. Swamp Rat says:

@KirkL.
            I do see, whether driving or “cycling”, safe and courtesy cyclists but they are the exception and not the rule. Yes, enforcement is needed but it will take a cycling yahoo to get runned over for bike safety to be at the forefront for enforcement. Just look around the UofM or some of the heavily used bike trails. It’s amazing there aren’t more casualties or deaths.

2. Swamp Rat says:

@KirkL.

Need more be said?

3. Swamp Rat says:

@KirkL.

Need more be said? Don’t you agree?

2. kilgoretrout says:

Kirk, go sit at the four-way stop at the corner of Fifth St. and 15th Ave at the University of Minnesota. Count the number of bikes and cars that do not stop/signal at the four-way stop. Then, tally up the numbers. The facts will not please you.

1. Exp says:

So… you admitted in your own comment “Bikes AND Cars” failing to adhere to the laws. I’d say it’s the operators of the vehicles, not the method of conveyance that’s the problem and you should blame them and not bicyclists in general. Under state law, bicycles are considered vehicles and must observe laws for BOTH vehicles AND pedestrians.
          I believe that education of bicyclists is the best method. Maybe simulating a city bus vs. bicycle collision in a video with a crash test dummy. It’s unfortunate but people only seem to want to understand when they see the worst case scenario.

2. Pundit says:

Someone is a big government liberal.

3. sarn says:

I’m so relieved that with this massive budget deficit we’ve at least allocated our taxpayer dollars to make Minnesota the most “bike friendly” state in the nation. Somebody has really got their priorities straight

4. tom tom says:

Fortunate enough to live right on the Luce Line Trail. See a lot of bikes everyday. Road down to the first intersection (with a stop for trail traffic) and watched. I counted 47 bikes go through that intersection while I was there. Three stopped. Does not matter what your views are, that is fact.

I stand by the statement. ‘Everything we know about riding a bike, we learned by age 5.’

1. Swamp Rat says:

@tom tom
      Another good observational voice heard from. The cyclists are their own worst hazards when it comes to safety and rules of the road.

Incidentally, the situation with bikes becomes worse when cyclists are impaired with a night out on the town and had a few brewskis or drinks. You can be cited, ticketed, and arrested for DUI/RUI just like motor cyclists and vehicle drivers. Don’t laugh it happens! Couple that with impaired and reckless vehicular[bicycle] operation on the bikeways &/or roadways you suddenly will realize what the laws are in Minnesota.

No excuses, it’s time to wake up to the realities of bicycle safety and operation. Meanwhile, if you follow the rules and laws cycling can be a lot of fun besides being a healthful activity.

Don’t you agree?

5. CarsRule says:

I hope one of these pukes riding bikes doesn’t turn in front of me after a few drinks, then i’l get blamed even tho their the ones blowing intersections and not paying attention, grow up 8 years old ride bikes.

6. gear_daddy says:

I really fail to see anything meaningful in these rants against people on bikes. You’re just kind of sounding like an old man yelling “get off my !@# lawn!”. If cyclists are breaking the law, then yes they should be ticketed. Biking while drunk? Why yes it is illegal. Go ahead, give em a ticket. But really, what’s such a big deal here? The fact is that the bicyclist is the one taking all of the risk. Motorists are only marginally inconvenienced by all of this.

The facts actually show that bicyclists have greatly increased, yet safety has gotten better. So, what’s the big deal? These cyclists that disobey the rules of the road are all making an individual decision that how they ride is OK and safe, just like any motorist does when he/she bends the rules to roll through stop signs, etc.

I submit to you that this increase in bicyclists along with better safety is a good thing. We live in a place where people can ride their bicycles safely, which means we don’t live a congested cluster!@# of a city like Chicago or LA where this isn’t so possible.

7. Mike Jones says:

Sounds like CarsRule posted after a few drinks.

The roads are the Wild West regardless of vehicle. Motor vehicle drivers are just exceedingly blind to their own lawlessness, as it is the rule to roll stop signs, speed 5 miles over the limit, run lights after they’ve turned red, and drive recklessly.

The investment in cycling is a far better one than further exclusive investment in motor vehicles for several reasons. If you really care about saving government funds, there’s a lot more spent on car infrastructure. Let’s neglect some of that.

1. Carsrule says:

Well I don’t want to live in the crowded city full of freaks, I prefer to stretch out in my suburb, therefore riding a bike everywhere is hardly an option, and I like to travel more than a 5 mile radius.

1. Frankie says:

Too fat to ride a bike for 15 minutes? Open stretch of road in the burbs, that is about how long it should take you to ride it.

1. YayBikesFunLOL says:

I work hard labor for a living, I promise im in better shape than you, why would I want to pedal a bike around, when I can fill my gas guzzlers and drive around in comfort, also I often go on road trips, spending money thats no fun on a bike, yea it sux to make a decent living and have half your check left after all the bills to enjoy life with!

8. angus says:

Today I saw a long string of cars run the lane to 169N from 394W that is reservexd for multiple occupant cars. All had only the driver. Saw many lane changes, turns, etc. without signaling. Had 2 bunper riders on my back bumper with their little cars and I was driving a F250 extended cab. What would happen if I had to stop?

Cure: More law enforcement. Can’t no money and the conservatives just hate spending money on anything other than their own pleasures.

Agree there are bad bikers but I have also seen many bad drivers. Don’t blame the mode of transportation

9. biking gloves for men says:

If you’re into any kind of cycling whether it’s on road or off road, motorized or otherwise this is the site to suit your needs. We have reviews and direct links to the very best deals online for parts to complete bikes and motorcycles. You won’t find addiitional information together with the very best deals any place else so dig in to get yourself that perfect cycle you are looking for or part for making your task in progress an actuality. Happy Cycling!!!