New MN Cupcake Shop Wins Food Network Competition

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Before she even opened her Minnesota bakery, Abby Jimenez became the state’s first pastry chef to win Food Network’s “Cupcake Wars.”

Jimenez, who will be opening Nadia Cakes in Maple Grove sometime in March, won the Food Network competition in part thanks to her cheesecake cupcake that wowed the judges.

Jimenez said she’s a self-taught baker “who just really loves to create desserts that are as pleasing to the eye as they are on the taste buds.”

And on “Cupcake Wars” she did just that.

Judge Florian Bellanger even bragged Jimenez made the best cheesecake cupcake that he’s ever tasted on the show.

cheesecake cupcake New MN Cupcake Shop Wins Food Network Competition

(credit: Megan Hayes Photography)

Jimenez said she and her husband Carlos visited 23 states in 2011 before deciding to build their bakery in Maple Grove.

She said Minnesota just seemed like the right place to raise a family and grow their business.

Nadia Cakes is currently under construction and is expected to open in March at the Shoppes at Arbor Lakes.

Comments

1. jackactionhero says:

Seeing this picture makes me thirsty for a glass of milk!

2. jean says:

Seeing this picture makes me thirsty for a of coffee

1. jackactionhero says:

Really, Jean? What part of the picture specifically makes you thirsty for coffee?

1. @ Jack says:

Probably the same thing that makes YOU want MILK!

3. John Gettler says:

FYI – This show will be televised on the Food Network channel tonight Tuesday January 24th at 7pm Central time. The episode is called “Rose Bowl”

4. Mount Olympus says:

wow, WCCO, really? I leave a comment “oh big whoop” and you take it away, why?? was it derragatorry? mean, racially motivated ….no, just my opinion, people say far worse and I don’t see their comments being deleted, censcorship from the left at it’s best

1. Val says:

Why can’t you be proud to have them move to your community? Support for small business should be encouraged in this day and age. If you don’t think this is “a big whoop” why share? What does it do for you to be petty? Have a nice day. Go eat a cupcake or something – oh, that’s right. You don’t HAVE a cupcake shop yet, much less an award winning one.

1. jackactionhero says:

Cupcake shops are frequented by large women. You won’t catch any guys in there.

How many men out there do you think care if cupcake shop is in their town, award winning or otherwise, Val?

1. Val says:

Actually, my brother does go to a bakery and buy birthday cakes for people. Most men I know enjoy having a cake on their birthday. In fact two guys I know went to a bakery and they had one designed with a Harley theme. I hope you find someone special someday and have a wedding cake. You will need a cake shop then won’t you? Want to make a special day better – you go to a bakery and buy some cupcakes on the little occasions, the cakes on the big ones. And if you don’t do these things that is okay too, just don’t rain on everyone else’s parade. And I am sorry that in your world only LARGE women eat cake.

1. jackactionhero says:

I do not like a cake for my birthday. I don’t eat cupcakes, ho-ho’s or twinkies either. I don’t think I even ate a piece of our wedding cake.

It isn’t my world that these large women are eating twinkies, cakes and cupcakes. It’s everybody’s world. Open your eyes and look around. No offense. I don’t eat junk food and that’s what I feel this stuff is.

I’m not raining on your parade either. I find other ways to contribute to an occasion than cakes, pies, etc. Feel free to indulge in that at whatever pace is right for you.

2. edward oleander says:

Um… Me, for one. Instead of milk, why don’t you have a big hot mug of STFU? And the next time you want to say something stupid, or decide you speak for anyone besides yourself, have another creamy, frosty glass of STFU. Thank you, and have a nice day. And STFU.

1. jackactionhero says:

LOL

Meltdown in aisle 9!!!

hahahaha. Well done, sir.🙂

5. MNGirl says:

Welcome to MN Good luck in your future endeavors…that show is a tough win so you must make some good stuff!

1. edward oleander says:

What’s a nice girl like you doing in a thread like this?

6. modern wedding says:

great.I have been tempted more and more by quinoa from so many recipes posted on food blogs. Yours looks so fabulous – roasted red pepper-walnut pesto and goat cheese must add amazing flavor to a meal healthy and complete.thanks a lot for your post. modern wedding