Bachmann Says She’ll Seek 4th Term In Congress

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann swept aside doubts about her political future on Wednesday, declaring less than a month after ending her presidential bid that she will seek a fourth term in Congress.

Bachmann’s decision ended speculation that she might be ready to move on from the House, perhaps leveraging her popularity among some conservatives into a career in talk media. Despite her high profile, Bachmann has been only a marginal player in Congress.

“I’m looking forward to coming back and bringing a strong, powerful voice to Washington, D.C.,” Bachmann said in an interview with The Associated Press. She said a formal announcement would come later.

Unless redistricting radically changes Minnesota’s Republican-leaning 6th District, Bachmann figures to be a heavy favorite. Other Republican hopefuls had stood aside awaiting her decision. No Democrats have yet declared for the race.

Bachmann is a potent fundraiser who brought in $13.5 million in her last House race, but she would likely start from scratch after the presidential campaign. A campaign finance report that would show how much money she can bring to the race isn’t due until the end of the month.

Ken Martin, chairman of Minnesota’s Democratic-Farmer Labor Party, said the announcement wasn’t a surprise. He said Democrats would attack Bachmann for being absent from the district and for missing votes in Washington during months chasing the presidential nomination.

“Anyone who thinks that they’re unbeatable is fooling themselves, and particularly once you hand us these issues on a silver platter,” Martin said.

Martin said he’s talked with several potential candidates who were waiting for a special redistricting panel to issue new maps late next month. He said some were also waiting for Bachmann’s decision.

Bachmann captured some early momentum in the chase for the GOP presidential nomination by winning the Iowa straw poll in midsummer, but she eventually faded. Bachmann said she will not be working for any GOP candidate still in the race ahead of Minnesota’s caucuses Feb. 7.

Bachmann also addressed President Barack Obama’s State of the Union speech. As she did on the campaign trail, Bachmann criticized Obama for “doubling down on failures that didn’t work.”

She said she “chose to lay everything on the line this last year” because she saw a better way.

“I know how to create jobs and I am a job creator,” Bachmann said. “I do have a formula for success. I have lived that formula. … We need that voice here in Congress.”

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. just saying says:

Good golly! Please spare us the embarrassment.

1. Simple enough says:

simple
      drain gas tank
      call up Amy Senser
      problem solved

2. Dax Quatemaine says:

Possible stadium deal killed and now this, How much good news can Minnesota get? She is really not as stupid as she appears.

3. OneEyedJack says:

Now she can spend more time on the pressing issues of Minnesota! About time. Even though she has an ear piercing voice she does know how the gov’t is run and how to get things done. We welcome you back with open arms:)

1. jackactionhero says:

Based on what exactly?

1. transparent says:

Tunnel vision with only one eye, right Jack?

2. K. says:

With a woman like that in charge and people like you who believe in her, I have only one thing to say………..”may God have mercy on us all” !!!!!

4. Good Luck says:

I love how put the name Bachmann out their and the left nut balls come out in force wow !!!!!

2. alan says:

And her district is just inbred enough to elect her, too.

1. alan says:

Or . . . I lived in Stearns County most of my life, and know what I’m talking about.

1. joe says:

I’m also from stearns county and can’t understand why people still are voting for her. I’m all republican, but i would let a democrat take over her seat just to get her outta there

1. ann says:

I hope there are alot more people in your district that think the same way.

2. sue says:

study was done by St cloud state about the inbreeding in sterns county. he is correct

1. Sue's English Teacher says:

I assume inbreeding prevents someone from looking up how to spell the name of a county or from using capital letters.

1. sue says:

he is still correct even if I cannot spell stearns cty, oh my. people are not as perfectbas you

1. Deliverance Banjo Boy says:

That study is an urban myth. If not, post a link to it.

3. @Balanced Beam says:

Seems to all that you may have fallen off that beam and smacked your head on the floor once to often Mr. unbalanced one. lol 😉
        I need you to take this to your “leader” – a question if one may.
        She ALWAYS claims to be against excess gubbermint spending. An upstart Tea Party member. Yet she’s pushing down our throats that Bridge to Nowhere that will cost better than 2x what a similar capacity one proposed one would.
        The Tea Party is against this. Most people are opposed.
        So what is this woman in truth? Seems to me she is absolutely no different than every other pork pushing politician out there. Except the times she can get camera time ranting and raving about the “other” party.
        Hell – her and Obama likely make pillow talk together….. she’s as evil as any of them. Maybe worse – she professes to be something she is not. At least that Obama did what we all knew he would as he said so in advance.
        MB – rot on the vine

1. Balanced Beam says:

@@Balanced Beam.

You seem to miss the point. I am not a Bachmann supporter. I just point out when these folks make meaningless arguments and unnecessary attacks. If one cannot explain why a person’s political philosophy or integrity make them a good or bad candidate or office holder, simply throwing out personal attacks on them or their constituency adds nothing to the discussion and invites a nice little jab.

4. Mundoraymundo says:

Is it also disrespectful to ignore your constituents for two years while you chased, what any wonk would tell you, was an impossible dream?

5. Sumyung Guy says:

Wait. I want to attack Balanced Beam too! Can I please???

6. jackactionhero's dad says:

Go to your room. Your mom and I are so ashamed.

7. Mayhem says:

@ jackarsehero

youre one to question one’s mental stability, huh Clyde?

wow, dude…just…wow dude…I mean wow dude

3. Janice says:

Enough is enough. If the 4th re-elects this nut case the entire state is embarrassed (again). The list of what is wrong goes on and on. The example I really like is how she clips coupons and buys her clothes at consignment and 2nd hand stores but she lives in a house that she paid $760,000 for in 2008 (Google it). Living off the government (for both her and Marcus) such does pay well.

1. Bachmann's Bananas says:

Well said!

2. Sumyung Guy says:

I agree. I believe the house she is living in now was the most expensive house in the 2001 Parade of Homes and was showcased as such. I toured it and it was lavishly appointed throughout. Just what a coupon clipper/consignment shopper would want in a cozy little bungalow.

4. Deep Thinker says:

How can her constituents even vote for her? She has totally ignored them in her run for the presidental nomination. I guess if they vote for her…they deserve her….I would think a ham sandwich would be a better candidate than Michele O’Bachamn

1. Less Deep Thinker says:

Oh, stop. You made that same argument about Hubert Humphrey and Eugene McCarthy and Walter Mondale and Paul Wellstone (albeit his “run” for Pres. was very brief). I also remember you complaining that Latimer was ignoring St. Paul when he ran for Governor, and John Marty keeps ignoring his senate district every time he runs for guv, and Tarryl Clark ignored her senate district to run for Congress (so much so that she moved to Duluth!) and so on and so on and so on.

At least I think you objected to those things. I’d hate to think you are inconsistent.

1. Deep Thinker says:

Wow, are you ever misleading…first of all everything you just said is false..I wasn’t even born until after HHH died. second this tells me that you had a prepared rant that you just had to rationalize in some way…nice try…but I guess I can say that you are a LIAR…Don’t think for a second that I condone DFL politics just because I do not think Michele is qualified…you really need to get your facts straight…

1. Less Deep Thinker says:

Actually, I didn’t have such a rant, because I have no problem with the people I listed seeking higher office. I just thought your statement was more unimpressive than normal. Did Obama resign from the U.S. Senate when he ran? How about Hillary? What exactly did I lie about? You mean the obviously sarcastic juxtaposition of arguments that you did not make? You apparently think your way right past irony to the recesses from where hypocrisy lies.

You did not say she was not qualified, nor did you give an argument why she would be other than the inference from a claim that she is unable to fulfill her duties based on her penchant for seeking higher office. My response was simply to show that you fail to address all of the folks on the other side who have made the same effort. If only you could think a wee bit more deeply.

1. Deep Thinker says:

@Less, I really apreciate all the attention you are giving me but in;your own words

“You made that same argument about Hubert Humphrey and Eugene McCarthy and Walter Mondale and Paul Wellstone”

is obvious a lie, so come back with a little more intelligence…

2. @Less Deep Thinker & @Deep Thinker says:

Less Deep Thinker, I do believe Deep Thinker is correct, you accused him of making arguements about people that were already dead when he was born. Assuming that Deep Thinker is telling the truth about his age, you are indeed telling lies

1. Deep Thinker says:

Thank you, I don’t like calling someone a liar, but in this case we certainly have someone lying

2. Less Deep Thinker says:

Holy cannoli, do we have some slow witted folks on here.

Deep Thinker obviously never said those things my current post (and it is comical he thought I was being literal), which is my point. His argument against Bachmann does not hold up against elected officials on the left side of the aisle. He would have never said those things because that would mean he has the ability to apply the same standard to those he supports and those he doesn’t. He has shown he does not have that ability. Over. And over.

3. Kevin II says:

@Less Deep Thinker, you know what’s funny? You are just like Michele, in that you say something absurd & then you don’t own up to it, instead you keep attacking the person pointing out your mistake…

Please do not post anymore idiotic rants…you were wrong & got busted..put your big boy pants on & move along…

1. Less Deep Thinker says:

@Kevin Il. Add yourself to the list of those incapable of getting it. This is so easy, it’s hard.

1. I'm a Less Deep Thinker...lol says:

Wow, you really are simple minded, has the tought ever ocurred to you that Deep Thinker & Kevin II are the same person…lol…..what a dope…and you can take that literally…lol….lol….I laugh in your general direction…lol

1. Less Deep Thinker says:

And . . . we’ve hit bottom.

2. Kevin II or is it Deep Thinker????? says:

Rock Bottom…..and thank you for playing along…as a parting gift you will receive free medical care at Marcus’s clinics…remember all you have to do is pray your problem away…

2. George says:

I would vote for the ham sandwich and it’s lunch time.

3. Patty Holton says:

I agree 100 % about the ham sandwich. Her announcement is just another lie – she said at the start of her campaign, she WILL NOT run again for congress. And being that she is an Iowan, calls herself an Iowan, what are we doing allowing her into our Minnesota Politics? I ask everyone, did you EVER hear her mention MINNESOTA in all of her speeches? No, it was always how she is an Iowan For someone who touts fiscal responsibility and not spending beyond our means, she is a hypocrit – she is over 1M in debt, I’ve read,for her campaign.

5. Red says:

Gotta love those Spider leg eye lashes. Go away Michelle. PLEASE!

6. Murph says:

In her first act if you re elect her.No doubt she will introduce a bill that stops sending checks to farm owners that don’t farm anything! Like she gets.That would save a lot more money than robbing a few bucks from old folks on social security!Come on Shelly,do the right thing or as you would call it a left leaning thing!

7. Kirk Allen Larson says:

Please God make her STOP!

8. Tom says:

I bet her followers are very happy that their nutty pride and joy is running again so that she can show them the way. I bet they begged her to run again as they would be lost without her. They just don’t realize voting for this nut makes them nuts as well.

9. transparent says:

Like who didn’t see this coming.

Let’s watch how it works when her district is reshaped.

Let’s see what dress Marcus will choose if she wins. One strap or two? How does he walk in those heels?

10. Rhys Becker says:

Why if she failed bid for the presidency running again spare the pain and agony to the true minnesotans. She should moved to Iowa and run for office their not in MInnesota.

11. James P. Stout says:

We could eliminate undesirables from the electoral process by a simple step: impose an intelligence test, testing both ability to engage in critical thinking, as well as knowledge of basic economics and history.

12. O'Bachmann says:

Can we use Marcus’s method & pray Michele away? Actually how many of us are hoping she wins again so we have such an easy target to ridicule?

Yes, please all of you constituents vote for her again. She makes the news entertaining….you know…kind of like a train wreck… In the meantime, can any of her followers name one thing she has accomplished over the last 2 years??? I didn’t think so….oink oink

1. BABS says:

LOL Love your post!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. One Tin Soldier says:

I’m sure jackactionhero was super insulted by Al Franken’s reconnection with Minnesota for the purpose of becoming a Senator after mocking us in New York for thirty years. Then again, maybe he only reserves the ad hominem for people with whom he/she disagrees.

1. One Tin Soldier says:

I’m not insulting you, but using contrast to show the fallacy of your complaint. I’m pointing out the hypocrisy that comes with making an argument about one candidate that the other side does not apply to its own. If it makes you look bad (hence, the insult), I did not write your initial post.

If you object to all the Democrats who have run fro higher office while holding another, here’s your chance to clear that up. Then again, it might just be more fun for you to complain or attack the messenger. And stop looking behind that curtain . . . .

1. Ron Regan says:

I have a smelter ready for you Tin Man … come on over

1. alan says:

I love smelt. Haven’t had them in a while

1. One Tin Soldier says:

Quit moving in on my smelt invitation, alan.

1. alan says:

Great – now I got smelt on the brain . . . gotta find a diner

2. One Tin Soldier says:

But you are a self-described lefty.

1. jackactionhero says:

I have never in my life been a “self-described” lefty…

1. Mayhem says:

you’ve never been much of anything in your life apparently.

wow dude, just….wow, dude…I mean, wow dude.

2. Sumyung Guy says:

And I’m sure Norm Coleman ticked you off when he made his run for St. Paul mayor and Minnesota state Senator after having come to our area in the 1970s as a carpetbagger from NY, where he had lived since the 1940s, right?

1. One Tin Soldier says:

@Samsung Guy, I wasn’t the one leveling the carpetbagger charge. You also forgot Arne Carlson and that South Dakota chap, Hubert something or other.

3. Mayhem says:

@jackarsehero

The reasons for insulting you are many….one of which is that you open yourself up to it.

Oh ya, Im bored and looking for a fight. you gonna beat me up now?

1. Pity Mayhem says:

he can’t but I sure as puck can. where we gonna party at there lil’ man ??😉

1. Mayhem says:

Leave me alone, Mom. I told you I don’t want to. You fight dirty.

14. H Y P O C R I T says:

In further unrelated news Michele Bachman has decided to start a farm & have it run by 25 foster children…just so she can continue living off of the government.

15. Gladys says:

Bachman needs to crawl back under the misinformed rock and stay there. For someone that is supposed to be a Representive, she doesn’t represent anyone but herself. She is totally unconnected with the real world and the real issues that affect this state. When we had the state shut down, where was Bachman???? One state lower stating I WAS BORN IN IOWA, VOTE FOR ME, what the Hell!!!!! The woman must have a pair of blinders for everyday of the week. When I hear her speak it reminds me of a new mother trying to figure out how to change a diaper. Bachman needs to back up and back out. If intelligent people vote for Bachman boy are the blindsighted. You know what they say, You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make them drink.

16. tan pup says:

MB – the 60s called they want their puffy hair and fake lashes back. BTW How long do you think it took the adheisive to dry on those things? Spose it’s toxic?

17. Center of the road says:

James P. Stout has a great idea, an intelligence test. I bet Nancy P, Al F, That first Embarrassment Muslim dude frmo Minneapolis, That VP dude that have a very colorful vocabulary, …. goes away as well. Yes we do need an intelligence test, for all offices no matter of political party.

1. tan pup says:

You might want to try it out too . . .

1. Center of the road says:

any day. i have met all of our representation and if you have not noticed, I left Amy K.out, she is very intelligent. I also left off many more that I know would fail. Unlike you I speak from facts and personal experience, not to support or denigrate any political party.

18. HockeyMom says:

Thank you Baby Jesus for giving me enough sense to move to Wisconsin! LOL

19. The new normal says:

Funny how all the criticism of her regards her looks (spider legs eye lashes?) and what she wears. Then those who do critisize her race out and vote for the likes of Al Franken, Betty McCollum and Kieth Ellison (Elmo) ,,,

1. Deep Thinker says:

@The new normal…..as soon as Michele does something (other than get up in front of congress & talk about O’Bama’s failures) let us know so we can decide if she makes any sense………but since all she knows how to do is call liberals names, I don’t think we will hear from you…bye bye

2. Red says:

Do worry- I did not vote for any of your above mentioned likes Gag It seems to me by reading these posting that most people would like her to GO AWAY

3. mwallek says:

The woman is garbage, self serving and self absorbed. The fact that you can’t see this says you probably share the same neurotic issues.

20. MrB says:

I’m sorry 6th district, I really am!

21. sue says:

please say it isn’t so. does the GOP have so little to choose from that they are letting her run again????

22. joe says:

most of the voters aren’t even from stearns county, 6th district is basically all the suburbs to the north and west of the cities where most of the votes come from. So i dont think alan was saying stearns county was inbreds but the entire 6th district were for voting her in.

1. alan says:

Two words – Brooklyn Park.

1. Janice says:

Good one. I wonder how many commenters understand the post? It does explain MB’s followers in simply terms.

23. uh huh says:

uh huh…Bachman should be running,but to the hills!

24. mwallek says:

Something she said she would not do if she, thankfully, failed to win the presidential nomination. Still the same liar that she always has been. A worthless addition to our nations population.

25. Andy says:

Alright , challenge thrown down, time to stop the crazy bi$&h!

26. alligator says:

good god spare us Minnesotans the embarrasment of having to own up to the fact that she is from here……i predict that she will fail yet again in trying to get elected and that she will only cause further embarrasment to herself and her flamboyant husband and all his shades of pink…..i do believe her politically elected days are over.

27. j speedbag 64 says:

too mean and nasty….lied to much….no votes this time around shelly…….

28. Center of the road says:

I can not wait until all the outside money pours into our state to unseat her. Just like the outside money to remove the Elected Governor of Wisconsin and the money that will flow in to defeat the Voter ID bill and the Marriage Amendment. Apparently Minnesotans need to be told how to vote by much smarter people with a LOT more money from outside of Minnesota. So if the republicans are the party of money worship, where do the democrats get all the money to try to tell us how to vote?

1. EqualJustice4All says:

simple
      drain gas tank
      call up Amy Senser
      problem solved

29. alan says:

I am in awe.

Personally I like “Anoke County: 300,000 people, 6 last names”

30. TL says:

See what happens when you let GOP’ers vote an annoying gnat in office…the gnats just keep coming back.

The least she can do is move back to IA and run from there.

31. William says:

haha…now we get to see all those voters in District 6 show how ignorant they really are….again!

32. Roger says:

Why don’t she move to iowa.
    she seems to like it there.
    Rog.

33. Deep Thinker says:

I just wonder if she will wait for the campaign to tell us that God spoke directly to her again & said she should run for another term. Of course sometimes God doesn’t speak directly to her, instead he talks to Marcus & lets him relay the message…..seriously…..this is who people want to support? disgraceful

34. Cindy says:

We all llost when Michele Bachmann dropped out otf the president race.
    Thank God fo rMichele Bachmann and porple like her who are trying to save this great country.

1. alan says:

Typing with 6 thumbs can be a trial, I imagine.

1. @alan - who doesn't understand that his name should be capitalized says:

Resorting to attacking someone’s lack of typing skillls can be a trial, I imagine

2. alan...loses at his own game says:

Way to funny. I guess your extra thumbs make it hard to hit the shift button…lol….way way to funny

2. George says:

Cindy I get your humor many porple will laugh at this. Porple, stop it your killing me.

35. helpermonkey says:

Reelect her, I say. If this is the rhetoric and behavioral model that her district feels most appropriately represents their paradigm, then so be it. It will be similar to the appropriate posting of biohazard signage around the perimeter of a toxic spill.

Does anyone else think that Marcus bears a striking resemblance to Burt Lahr?

36. Jacob says:

Praise God! We need Congresswoman Bachmann’s strong, conservative voice in the halls of Congress for more. I was hoping she would run. Congresswoman, I will be in prayer for your campaign. Thank you for sticking up for your beliefs and being unashamed in your faith. God bless!

37. Jacob says:

1. eathelbard says:

The myth of god is a drug for those who are afraid of the unknown. Life is indeed pointless. Deal with it.

1. George says:

Or to fkin stupid to face reality

2. Jacob O'Bachman says:

@Jacob…so idiotic you had to post it twice

38. mike says:

Great will the great lady from the state of iowa, and confusion please stand to take her oath. oh wait I mean Mn. Politics must really pay well for her to be so absurd that she thinks MN will forget the last six months of abandonment

1. jackactionhero says:

Minnesotans will forget and forgive her and re-elect her. Nobody is more gullible to a sound byte than a Minnesotan.

1. Mayhem says:

and no one is as completely moronic and idiotic than a jackactionhero.

39. Sumyung Guy says:

Oh goodie! I was hoping she would just fade away into the sunset like most losers do, but NOOOOOO! At least we will have her ongoing stupidity and ignorance to joke about until she is beaten in the next election.

40. G Dog says:

The first of the Seven Seals just opened…………………..

1. Kevin says:

Oh fu** G Diggity Dog…what do you know about the bible…??? I have to go back to work now…to support your 50 %….

41. Dana says:

Michelle, do everyone a favor in Minnesota and go back to Iowa! Thank You.

1. Kevin says:

Dana do me a favor and do what you do best…..open wide for daddy….

42. Give Us Liberty says:

It s a great Republican strategy to help Rep Bachmann. She is a strong voice and clearly points out that the only thing Barry Soetoro had improved on over the past 3 years was that of lowering his golf handicap. Oh, I’m sorry, he saved the Volt that no one wants or afford.
    Dems will spend millions and then spend more in order to defeat Rep Bachmann. Think of the hundreds of teachers the Dems could hire with those millions wasted. The Dems will give a lot of attention to Rep Bachmann. Part of that proof is in these responses.
    In the mean time the GOP will go after the do nothing Betty.

1. John says:

How exactly can “Dems” hire teachers? I don’t understand that sentence. Are you implying people who give money to campaigns could instead open their own schools? Bit of a stretch, no?

43. Christine says:

I am embarassed to say I voted for her once. But, I own up to my mistakes and fix them whenever possible so I promise that will NEVER happen again. Voting for Bachmann turned out to be a WASTED VOTE because she did NOTHING – not one single thing to benefit the people of her district. She is big ‘ol blowhard who does nothing but run her mouth. She is completely out of touch and a bigot. I will fight tooth and nail for whomever runs against her.

44. Cheryl says:

I the commenters would turn this venom on the candidates than each other, we might get somewhere. Typical congressional copy cats here. Bachmann should step aside for some new blood. If anything, her president candicy showed she had done relatively nothing (other than slam and condemn) instead of propose a better way to move forward. She likes the fat government salary with perks and somehow can’t figure out how go home an invent a new career other than taking our tax dollars.

45. deltadawn says:

TERM LIMITS for all these Elected officals!!

46. Mike Jacobson says:

She has lost all credibility with her constituents, as she missed most of her votes in Congress. She does not give a lick about MN..she tried embracing Iowa as her state. I hope the people in her district aren’t as fake as she is. Send her packing.

47. Jerri says:

Guess Fox News didn’t pay a visit to the Bachmann household

48. Kevin says:

Bachman is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. Goob says:

Mickey bought in 2008 for 750,000?? Oh my…she is soooo upside down…in more ways than one.