MN Researcher: Sitting Is ‘The New Smoking’

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A researcher in Minnesota says that sitting is the new smoking.

Doctor James Levine from the Mayo Clinic is on a mission to get people moving more at work.

Levine is leading a study on the effects of sitting.

Levine told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that workers can burn up to 350 extra calories a day and reduce their health care costs by replacing two and a half hours a day of sitting with standing.

His research team is doing a three-month study at the company Caldrea in Minneapolis. About 30 workers at the company will be using adjustable work-fit stations and stand for part of their day.

Levine’s study isn’t the only one focusing on the effects of sitting too long. Others have found it linked to increase risk of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, cancer and early death.

Click here to see the story done by CBS News New York on the study.

Comments

1. Government is great says:

Love the picture of this genius sitting on his butt! – great find WCCO, it tells the story

How much tax money was wasted on this hack and his “study”?

1. Willow says:

Have to agree. The irony is just too much here.

2. Guy says:

Ban sitting in bars and restaurants!

3. Kevin says:

In realated news…..the State Of MN has unleashed the Inspector General to sue any and all seat manufacturing companies. Theyare also outlawing seats in all bars, resturants, and in all public areas. The money won from the law suits will mostly go to the lawyers. But the remaining funds that are supposed to be used to conrtol the costs of sitting…..will be used to fill budget holes in the futrue.

1. lol says:

Now that was awesome.

4. Jim P says:

And what makes you think he’s a hack? Why are so many people so willing to be disprespectful, dismissive and rude? He’s a DOCTOR AT THE MAYO CLINIC! To me, that says he deserves to be heard.

5. ksmahoney says:

There have been multiple large scale studies on the effects of sitting. It has been shown that standing increases your oxygen consumption two-fold and an enzyme that breaks down fats for use called lipoprotein lipase is only produced through contracting muscles. Therefore, when you spend all day sitting, you are burning far fewer calories and not utilizing fat as effectively.
    Sara (PhD in Exercise Physiology)

6. Even Better says:

This is great news!

With the Obama economy becoming the norm, most people are out of work and not sitting behind a desk all day.

I knew he was good for something!

It will reduce the money spent on obama-care and we can take care of the remaining workers with the death panels once they get sick from sitting all day.

7. Cindy says:

This is great news!

I knew he was good for something!

8. You're not smart says:

Please continue to be stupid and angry towards everything. Don’t do what this doctor says. That way you might die of heart disease earlier which will cut down on my commute time.

9. George says:

I like big butts and I can not lie
    You other brothers can’t deny
    That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
    And a round thing in your face
    You get sprung
    Wanna pull up tough
    Cuz you notice that butt was stuffed
    Deep in the jeans she’s wearing
    I’m hooked and I can’t stop staring
    Oh, baby I wanna get with ya
    And take your picture
    My homeboys tried to warn me
    But that butt you got
    Make Me so horney
    Ooh, rump of smooth skin
    You say you wanna get in my benz
    Well use me use me cuz you aint that average groupy

1. Arnie says:

I see you’re a fan of the first “lady”

2. Sir Mix-a-Lot says:

I’ve seen them dancin’
      To hell with romancin’
      She’s sweat, wet,
      Got it goin’ like a turbo ‘Vette
      I’m tired of magazines
      Sayin’ flat butts are the thing
      Take the average black man and ask him that
      She gotta pack much back
      So, fellas! (Yeah!) Fellas! (Yeah!)
      Has your girlfriend got the butt? (Hell yeah!)
      Tell ’em to shake it! (Shake it!) Shake it! (Shake it!)
      Shake that healthy butt!
      Baby got back!

10. Rufus Larkin says:

Minnesotans are sedentary that they never travel and are a provincial isolated society, which is probably worse than sitting itself.

11. You show them there geniuses says:

Good luck Mr Invincible. Have another vinegar and water.

12. Willow says:

So what, pray tell, are we supposed to do if we have a desk job? It’s not like we can all quit our office jobs and become brick layers.

How much govt. money went to this study that could have gone to more important things?