Minn. DFLer Eyes Reforms To Legislative Process

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A Minnesota House Democrat wants to change the way the Legislature conducts itself.

Rep. Ryan Winkler says the Legislature has been dysfunctional and needs to reform itself before it reforms other aspects of state government. The Golden Valley Democrat unveiled his proposals at a news conference Tuesday.

Winkler would require lawmakers to fully disclose pay from outside work, and prohibit political party officials from holding jobs with the House or Senate. His legislation would also put an end to floor sessions and committee meetings between midnight and 7 a.m., and would create a records process for legislative personnel matters.

He would also create an outside commission to handle the once-per-decade redistricting process.

Winkler says no Republicans have signed on to his proposals but that he hopes for bipartisan support.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Balanced Beam says:

This would be far more credible if the Democrats were proposing it while in the majority.

1. The Truth says:

Given the fact that we are only about nine months away from Democrats regaining control, it’s actually very credible.

2. Rob says:

No meetings between midnight and 7:00AM? How would that change anything?

Maybe Ryan can’t stay up that late and doesn’t want to miss out.

When the state government allowed four Hennepin County Commissioners to rip off the people by taking away their right to vote on a sales tax referendum, it was done in broad daylight.

3. Rockfish says:

Asking the party of no to say yes? I am not thinking they will change their stripes.

4. Brett says:

oh, REALLY?? By Winkler, the CHAMPION of the GAY rights movement? For real?? Give me a break, GET A LIFE, GET REAL. The party of “CAN’T” can’t get their regressive, gov’t dependent, taxpayer obligated ‘contracts’ paid for, so mr. winkler decideds to go on the “offensife”. What a relief. GV, you can do better than THIS.

5. Mel says:

So Winkler wants the government to keep tabs on our legislatures personal lives through records? I don’t understand. Also, what business is it of the governments how our legislatures make money? Aren’t filing taxes enough? This is crazy! More beaurocracy and big government. If I am missing something, can someone explain?

6. LOL says:

LMAO at Mel…
    Typical right wing hysterics. Personell and personal are actually two different words…

1. Mel says:

@LOL, thank you for the very polite correction on my misunderstanding. And also, thank you for calling me hysterical, which can be taken two different ways I guess. You didn’t address the disclosure of salaries outside of their job in office, which again, is already disclosed through filing taxes. But hey, you go ahead and enjoy your rights and freedom being slowly taken away through beaurocracy and oversight. I, on the other hand, will question everything. If that’s right wing hysterics, than I’ll take that as a compliment.

7. Tom says:

When God gave out Brain’s…the GOP were absent…nuff said!!!

1. Brett says:

When God gave out brains, you weren’t on the “list”. You are one of the many reasons why “kids” at 25 are still “iving” under their parent’s roofs, while when I was at that age, I wasn’t $50K in debt in student loans, and I was looking to buy a house. It is so unfortunate that so many of our youngest, and DUMBEST VOTERS EVER RECORDED, will be allowed to vote in our next election, simply because they are able enough to breathe.

2. Karen says:

what are you ten? I son can at least spell.

8. Arvid says:

Interesting comment consider the Ron Paul supporters are under 25. Now I understand why they support him.

1. Arvid says:

That was meant to go to Brett’s statement