Police: Man Stabbed To Death By Brother

MOUNDS VIEW, Minn. (WCCO) — Police say a 51-year-old man was stabbed to death by his brother in Mounds View Tuesday evening.

Neighbors were holding tight inside their homes as Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigators went about their gruesome work.

Detectives and agents spend the day processing a bloody crime scene after one brother took the other’s life following a domestic disturbance.

“You don’t think it’s going to happen, but it does,” explains one neighbor, who didn’t wish to be identified.

Just doors away, 56-year-old Jay Herbert Hilling was arrested and booked into the Ramsey County Jail.

He is expected to be charged with second-degree homicide on Thursday for the stabbing death of his 51-year-old brother, Michael Scott Hilling.

Investigators still aren’t saying what led up to Tuesday night’s disturbance inside the family’s townhome on Lake Court Drive.

Police Chief Tom Kinney explained, “Evidently some sort of altercation … we’re still trying to determine the details and background information.”

mounds view stabbing Police: Man Stabbed To Death By Brother

(credit: CBS)

While the motive for the stabbing remains unclear, authorities said Mounds View police have been called to the home many times before.

Police records reveal some 35 calls to the house dating back to May 2005. The calls range from reports of domestic assault, drunkenness and medical calls to aggravated assault with a weapon.

The two brothers lived in the townhome with their ailing 77-year-old mother, who police say was home at the time of the murder.

“She was present at the scene in the residence, so we’re gathering information she’s been able to provide,” said Kinney.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Steve Murphy Reports

More from Bill Hudson

1. I'm thirsty says:

……I SAID, I want that last beer!

2. Real Talk says:

Why yes it is. What a profound and enlightening statement. Kudos Kevin…watch a change from the small-minded, angry bigots that frequent this site.

Unless…no…i mean who would be that little and so angry….well…..you werent being sarcastic were you? Tell me you are not dumb enough to believe the color of ones skins increases or decreases one’s propensity to commit violent acts? Wait…are you that dumb?

1. Bill Clintons Cigar says:

Your a moron. 4% of MN is black while 45% of prison inmates are black…..are you that dumb?

1. Chris says:

It has nothing to do with the color of one’s skin. It’s mostly a function of bad parenting and poor decisions made by one’s self.

2. @Bill Clintons Cigar says:

Before calling someone a moron, learn how to write proper English.

3. Peace says:

I don’t think the color of one’s skin has anything to do with diversity. Rather the person’s culture and how they were raised. The more diverse our culture becomes the more chances there will be different people who don’t view the world the same way. Instead what seems painfully wrong to me may seem perfectly fine to someone from a completely different culture. So, skin color has not impact here, more of a culture thing.

4. Patricia says:

I have yet to meet an adult Somalian person who is peaceful …. have met many young Somalian children who are but for whatever reason by the age of 10-12 that changes.
    Anyone able to explain that to me?
    FYI – I also work around many Somalians and am in contact 7 days a week with many many many of them. This is not a narrow cross section I am speaking about. Nor am I being flippant in the comments or question.

1. Real Talk says:

You are a tool if you claim to work with many Somalians from a wide cross section and you have not found one “peaceful” adult Somali??

You are either a liar or work in a prison.

Not saying i especially care for that group…but even I have met a couple nice Somali adult men.

1. Nan says:

I’m no fool and to this day haven’t found one that isn’t aggressive, plain nasty and loud and obnoxious and that didn’t carry an odd odor on them too.
        I work in Mpls in retail setting.
        You both say you don’t care for them especially – I will up the ante and say I dislike them 100%. Just being honest here – I don’t like them at all. If I ever meet on ethat’s decent I may change my mind …. heck, one won’t do it. I may like him/her but not them. 😉

5. Kevin says:

Who knows what color they are? There is none stated. Your all morons……..

1. Lamont says:

It says the man was stabbed by a brother.

2. Chris says:

Why does that matter to you, Mr. Internet Tough Guy?

6. max says:

Where does the article make mention of the guy’s race or ethnicity? The fact that the crime occurred in Mounds View might lead one to believe he is white.

7. Yep says:

Dude looks kinda like you. I know who you are.

8. Rubin says:

That will teach his brother to eat the last frozen White Castle Hamburger….

9. konjokris says:

Where does the Somali men come to play in this? Just wondering.
    I have met non aggressive Solmali men, few but they are out there.

10. eathelbard says:

There goes one o’ them whites again. Man, you just can’t turn your back on a white.

1. northmplsdweller says:

Uh-oh, a bunch of them live in my neighborhood. I better watch out!

11. Judge, Jury, Executioner says:

something about this story and that picture has me hearing banjos playing…

12. tomsmegpa says:

OH NO!!!!! He was our babysitter!!!!

13. whackjobseverywhere says:

Just me or does this guy look like he should have been locked up already, WOW, and not in the clinker but Anoka State.

14. blakie says:

good get the white folks out of here

1. Hans Kah says:

Looks Norwegian to me! From the Upper North East Side maybe? See the Lefse on his Chin.

15. Kevin says:

Is there diversity in Mounds View? Last time I was there is was all white. Been a couple years ago I guess. Of course Anoka used to be white too I guess. The census shows that the white populaion in MN is dropping fast. I think they are all moving to Canada…..or maybe they are moving to Mexico to do jobs that the Mexicans simply wont. I often wonder who will pay for the welfare structure as more and more whites leave. The illegals dont pay taxes…..the black unemployement rate is HUGE……I geuss its up to Somali taxi drivers and the Hmong. NIce

16. Journeyone says:

What is with these mug shots ????? I am sure this was already commented but come on…

17. alligator says:

inbred meth heads….little brother took the last hit which as supposed to be for big brother….big brother snapped and poked a few holes in little brother with a fillet knife……..little brother sprung a few leaks and just didn’t make it.

18. Stuffitwccogatekeeper says:

Could not agree more, sick of getting comments bumped by the “sensorship” of this site!

19. Slick says:

Dudes were both high level GOP boosters and spokesman.
    I suspect their daddy prolly schlepped his sister and created the Dyno Pair. Inbeeding crates weird things.
    Gotta love Minnesota – Land of 10,000 Lakes and 100,000 Perverts. Go Minneota

20. Boosters says:

Dudes were both high level GOP boosters and spokesman.
    Gotta love Minnesota – Land of 10,000 Lakes and 100,000 Perverts. Go Minneota