Union Fight Brews With Right-To-Work Push In Minn.

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Republicans pulled Minnesota into an explosive issue Thursday by introducing legislation to make union membership optional, setting the stage for a fight that has triggered boycotts by Democratic lawmakers and large protests in other states.

GOP senators introduced the plan as a proposed constitutional amendment, meaning it would need only a simple majority in the House and Senate — and bypass Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton — to get on the ballot. If voters ultimately approved it, the amendment would bar labor contracts from requiring both public and private workers to pay union fees or compelling membership.

Democrats have vowed not to support the proposal, but Republicans have narrow majorities in both legislative chambers. Still, some GOP lawmakers have been skittish about the issue, leaving its fate in question.

Sen. Dave Thompson, a Lakeville Republican, said proponents are heading into the campaign knowing it’s a volatile issue. But he stressed that the measure doesn’t change the ability to collectively bargain in places where unions exist.

Thompson and other advocates said such laws help create better business environments and spur job growth because employers are more hesitant to expand in places where unions are more prevalent.

Union leaders argue that such measures give employers cover to pay lower wages and benefits.

Sen. Barb Goodwin, a Democrat from Columbia Heights, said the plan is simply an attempt to weaken unions, one of the major backers of the Democratic Party.

“The playground bullies are attacking working people again,” Goodwin said. But, she added: “It will bring working people out to vote. And that’s not a bad thing.”

Almost half of U.S. states have such right-to-work laws. Indiana became the 23rd right-to-work state on Wednesday, when the state’s Republican governor signed the measure into law. It ended a contentious two-year political fight that included large union protests, and lawmaker walkouts and stall tactics — including Democrats in the House fleeing the state for five weeks last year and refusing to enter the chamber for several days this year.

Such efforts are usually backed by Republicans, who say their right-to-work plans are better for business.

In Minnesota, Republican Rep. Steve Drazkowski of Mazeppa, the chief sponsor in the House, claimed that workers relocate from “forced-unionism states to right-to-work states.”

“This initiative will give Minnesotans the opportunity to reverse the hinges on the doors,” he said.

However, experts say many factors influence states’ economies and that it’s nearly impossible to isolate the impact of right to work. For major industries, access to supplies, infrastructure, key markets and a skilled workforce are key factors, according to business recruitment specialists. For a state’s workers, the impact of right-to-work legislation is limited because only about 7 percent of private sector employees are unionized.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More from Pat Kessler
Comments

1. mll says:

BEST THING EVER.

1. Keep It Real says:

You are correct, it is. Why would something like a union, who is supposedly for the people, fight against anything that gives every person, every worker, every cog the right to do what is best for them. Unions are corporations, taking money from the working man so a small, very few, can live in luxury. Time for the people to stand up and say…no more on my back!!!

1. Ross Perot says:

Richard Trumka President AFL-CIO
        Andy Stern President SEIU
        Gerald Mcentee President AFSCME3 of the largest unions in the country.
        All 3 are members of the DSA, Democratic Socialist Party of America
        The top 2 are members of the Communist Party of the U.S.
        The top 2 have also stated that capitalism is broke and they want the government to take over the means of production. They prefer the new world order of a socialist/communist world.

Why in God’s earth would anybody support these socialist/communist/marxist thus. As well why should anybody be forced to give these thugs money.
        Is this what you people really want.

If you don’t believe me. take some time and serf the net. All the information is there.

2. Vote Union YES! says:

If those people want to do what’s right for them, they don’t apply for work in a union shop. They knew what they were getting into before they started work there.
        Employers screen employees in an effort hire people who object to unions in order to get rid of them. Union dues are a small price to pay for the benefits gained.

2. Sinclair says:

It’s complicated.

Company A wants to hire Employee B.

Should a third party, Union C, be able to force the employee to join the union as a condition of employment?

The Republicans say no. The Employee has a right to work.

1. KM says:

Doesn’t sound too complicated to me!

1. MIke says:

It’s not complicated at all. The average wage in right to work states is $5000.00 less and 21% of the residents have no health insurance. That is not a good thing.

1. R2D2 says:

False. Mike you are a liar and just making things up. The most successful industry in the country, IT, has no unions and the highest wages of any sector. It is because they can take their talent anywhere, and sell it for more money. Unlike any union job on the planet. Go IT!!!

1. HDMC says:

so…instead of union dues, buy health insurance. and @5k less, you have to live within your means. crybaby. if you dont like that, go to school get a different job. not that complicated but you union guys sure think it is.

2. OP Hum says:

No Mike is right. Go look at the stats from the Census. Out of the 23 states that have right to work laws on the books, 17 of them make up the bottom half of average pay. It works out to be about $5300 less a year is earned for families in the states that are right to work. Do your own research folks

3. mll says:

My husband is forced to pay in union dues every month when he doesn’t support unions. No one should be forced to pay dues to an organization they do not support. Especially when his union dues are being used to pay for liberal campaigns.

1. pizzedoff says:

I so agree, mll. When I realized my union money was going to support uber liberal socialist agendas and feeding the democrat campaign for a white house I sooo can’t agree with, I got out. And I had to FIGHT my way out because they acted like I didn’t have the right to quit their little gesta po family. It’ll be a cold day in hades before I vote dem again.

1. The Truth says:

It’s not too hard to get out of a union job. Simply quit. Take the lower paying, lower benefit job that you so desire and let someone who actually supports the union take your place. There. Problem solved.

2. BettyC says:

If the rupublicans supported the rights of middle class workers instead of just big corporate interests they too would be getting contributions from unions. They have in past years before the republican party became a wholely owned subsidary of the Koch Bros.

3. BettyC says:

1. JIm Gaff says:

2. JB says:

Here’s a great idea! Your husband can quit his union job that he doesn’t support! I’m sure another union member or someone who is willing to pay union dues will take his position with enthusiasm and gratitude that your husband is lacking in his current position!

He is also probably paid more than his non-union counterparts in the same profession too! So if he is willing to take a pay cut and look for different employment with the other millions of unemployed people I suggest that he give his notice immediately! More than likely if he wasn’t union the company would have already let him go years ago instead of having to put up with him!

3. BettyC says:

It amazes me that so many people that have benefitted from the struggles that Unions have gone through want right to work. If it wasn’t for Unions there would be no paid vacations, paid sick days, employer pd Insurance, worker health rules. to name just a few.

1. Citizen says:

I’ve never worked for a Union, nor have I worked for a company that has a union in it. However, I do have compensation that includes paid vacations, paid sick days, employer paid insurance, and worker health rules to name a few. I have these because my skill set and the quality of my work commands them.
        It is refreshing that my compensation is based on my performance. So co-workers who don’t put as much effort into thier work get paid less.

1. Murph says:

Citizen,please excuse our stupidity,I’m sure all those people who work around you for less are SOOOOO jealous.Are you a relative of one of the owners,or just a giant kiss bottom addict of extraordinary skill and experience at it! Stop pretending to yourself and others of your mastery of your trade. Do you sell shoes or just manure?

1. Citizen says:

If the best you can do is throw insults, it must mean you don’t have a valid point to argue. You may try to insult me all you want, but that doesn’t change the fact that I got to where I am in life by my skills and talents. Not by being a slave to union rules.

4. Gop Hater. says:

Yes he should. If you poor husband does not like it go work some ware that does not have a union. I do not want to pay for your kids to go to school. And for you to be on welfaire.

5. Can't Do It On His Own says:

I’ll bet he’s never turned down a raise or a benefit that the union negotiated for him.

4. Tinman says:

Two things:

First: “workers relocate from forced-unionism states to right-to-work states.” Would sure like to know where this information is coming from. Workers go where they can get the work.

Second: How dumb of a move is this for the GOP this year? This already has created headaches for them in other states. It is an election year and they have flawed candidates at the top of the ticket. They are just spurring up a hornet’s nest of opposition going into the election.

And, yes, I am covered by a union – but not a great and powerful one (no raises in 4 yrs, increased insurance and other costs, and people have still been laid-off – with paltry severance packages).

1. jon says:

It’s call a weak economy. Unions can’t magically force employers to have more money to hand out raises. The money has to come from somewhere. Our government on the other hand doesn’t seem to understand that concept as they keep raising the debt ceiling.

1. GOP Hater says:

they have not had a rasie in 4 years.

5. richard says:

Do away with unions so the rich can get richer and pay their help $10.00 an hour with no benefits

1. The new normal says:

Spoken like the SEIU Comrade of the Year.

1. the peoples normal says:

Spoken like the CEO of a bailed out bank who still gets his bonuses.

1. The new normal says:

How did you know???? Glad I got my bonus before the additional federal banking restrictions and price controls were put inplace.

2. hunnybear18 says:

So if everyone who disagrees with a lib is a rich CEO stepping on the poor, wouldn’t they make up more than 1% of the population?

1. dan says:

Don’t take everything literal even though it is printed on the screen. It is called humor.

2. James says:

For what it’s worth Richard, you’re exactly right and there’s nothing wrong with it. People should be paid for what they’re worth, not a penny more. The union mafia mentality probably feels good for the workers, but difficult for a business owner to justify paying a 90k salary to a group of 50 year old union janitors that are taking out the trash as their biggest contribution to society.

1. you're nuts says:

Hey James….show me a union janitor that gets 90K. Running your mouth when you have no clue what you’re talking about. A state janitor topped out after 20 years only gets about 55K. Know your facts!!

1. dan says:

That’s the problem, $55,000 per year for what? Sweeping floors and changing light bulbs? Seems a bit high for the education and skills required for the position.

1. Arvid says:

Your ignorance of what a state janitor does shows through.

1. State Janitor says:

I’m on my 3 hour break.

2. sarn says:

Janitor: One who keeps the premises of a building clean, tends to the heating system, and makes minor repairs.

2. Raymond says:

That’s why they all need to be replaced by grade school kids doing the work for nothing. I’m tired of wages going to my workers and not going into my bank account. Give me a right-to-work state so I can throw these bums out the door because I don’t like the shirt they’re wearing and bring in all the grade school kids for nothing. Capitalism is going to work for me – or else…….

2. Peacans for me says:

55,000 for scrubbing toilets plus all the bennies, show up 8 hours. work for 3 walk around for 4 and 1 hour lunch sign me up!

3. Gop Hater says:

It is only 33 a year. Not 55.

3. reality says:

That’s what the Republicans want so their rich CEO buddies can jack up their bonuses and multi-million dollar wages and pensions when the rest of us have to work 60+ hours per week just to make ends meet.

1. SBO says:

Reality
        Is it a crime in America to be rich and SUCCESSFUl . I dont need a union to negotiate my wages I am smart enough to do that on my own. If you dont want to work 60+ hours a week get an education and get a good job. The money will not fall in your lap you have to work for it. You can also try to live within your means that always helps!

4. Beavis says:

Welcome to the Wal-Mart economy. Don’t cry and whine once the sheeple pass Right to Work for Less!

6. Citizen says:

This is America, the land of the FREE. No one should be forced to join anything in order to be employed.

7. no amendments please says:

This should not be a constitutional amendment. That should be the real issue .No matter how bad you want something, the means never will justify the end. The precedent that, or could be set is enormous. Do not be short sighted. Today it may favor you, but tomorrow……

1. Samuel says:

In order to keep activist judges from imposing their will on us, now-a-days laws have to be put in the constitution.

That’s just the way it is.

1. BettyC says:

How come they are only activist judges when they make a ruling you don’t like. Most of the activist judges around these days are republican The proof Citizens United

8. dan says:

This should be interesting to see how the Far left is going to spin this as an anti worker bill.

1. Swamp Fox says:

You are full of beans, Dan! But can’t you see the MN GOP is using this as a stalling tactic to drag the session out and avoid personal heat in passing needed legislation? This issue can wait there are more important issues; IE–passing a proper balanced budget without creating another shortfall or creating a jobs program; that must be dealt forthwith.

You can’t blame the Governor for this mess. It’s the Legislature especially the GOP but Democrats are not blameless either. Don’t you agree?

1. Adam says:

Either thay are using this as a way to deflect away from the real issue(s), or you are.

2. dan says:

Both parties need to get to work, I agree. lets look at one item at a time and not try to wrap 4 undesirable items to achieve one positive.
        This is no different than our US Senate and House. No budget in the past 3 years! where is the leadership? Obama has been the single most alienating problem with our Govt over the past 3 years. He has never made one speech of coming together without blaming Bush or the GOP for something.
        Go back and listen to Bush, Clinton or Reagan speeches and you will not hear them blaming the previous administration or the other side of the aisle for their failures.

3. NICE says:

Hey Swampy, why to nail it on the head!!!!!! great comment. AND THE TRUTH!!! Just wait until this fall when all these Repuklicans are voted OUT…

1. Mary says:

And how much money would you be willing to wager?

4. NICE says:

1. LiberlasEatDooDoo says:

I think you mean IN. Even though Rom-noodle is a joke of a candidate, he will beat Obama, who has done nothing except raise taxes for 3.25 years!

2. BettyC says:

It is an anti worker bill. No spin just the facts

1. Citizen says:

Allowing a worker to choose between being a member of a union or not (forced to pay dues or not) is far from anti worker. More freedom and this bill is pro worker. No Spin just the facts.

2. Curtis B True says:

Thanks BettyC..I’ll bet you can really put the “hurt” on a buffet!!! Do you like gravy? Everyone knows that BettyC is a paid “poster” from the demosnats…just trying to spread liberal lies!

9. Tom says:

I guess they did NOT learn from Wisconsin…how long until we can throw these Union busting TeapubliCON’S from office? They are destroying decade’s of progress in the work place by demonizing Union’s…do some research as to what it was like for worker’s before Union’s existed…man how long are we going to let the TGOP take us backwards instead of moving forward??? Think people…this is not some sporting event…this is your life…!

1. dan says:

Settle down Tom. Most companies are non-union and treat their employees very well. Do yoiu think if Unions go away every employer is going to go back to sweat shops?
      Whats to learn from Wisconsin? The anti Walker crew cant even come up with a contender.
      You should only be paid for what you are worth. The only ones up in arms over this probably are not worth what they currently getting paid.

1. deltadawn says:

Why should the taxpayers give unions and elected officials golden parachutes. THEY DON’T PAY SOCIAL SECURITY(elected officials). They get their last salary, plus cost of living when they retire. We need TERM LIMITS and social security for the elected. No more special treatment for people we pay to NOT do their jobs and work for the people.

2. DougT says:

Gee – and here I thought it was a free country – where free men – but their own efforts – rise of fall.

And here all along it was the unions making all this happen.

(bunch of self serving, short sighted, low brow, crime thugs – I can represent myself quite well and really do not need you busting any heads for me – really!)

3. mll says:

There are laws in place now to protect workers’ rights. Unions are just bloodsuckers. Their need disappeared long ago.

1. BC says:

And those laws came into being because of unions. Believe me without unions you would be making less money, have less benefits and have more dangerous working conditions. And even if you work in a non union company because of the wage level and benefit levels at Union facilities your workplace is safer, and your wages and benefits are competitive.

1. Citizen says:

Unions may have provided a benefit in the past. And today they may still be useful somewhere. But that is no excuse to force people to pay dues in order to have a job. People should be free to choose if they want to be in a union or to support them via dues.

2. Citizen says:

Just because unions provided benefits for workers in the past, and may help some today. That is no excuse to force a person to be a member of a union or pay dues to a union today in order to be or stay employed. Being a member of a union and paying dues is somethng a person should choose to do, not be forced to do.

10. truthOutlaw says:

Does this mean I can’t be forced into buying car Insurance?

1. Denny says:

Nothing to do with car insurance. If you hit my car, total it and have no insurance I pay and my insurance co pays for your damaging ways.If you operate a machine that can do the public harm you need to be covered. That is a good law.
      By the way I work in non union manufacturing and I make a very good wage.

1. Rentacop says:

Denny: Hows that non union benefit package working for you ?
        Hows your retirement package going to work for you ? Nothing wrong with making a “GOOD” non union wage but it’s what comes with it that counts.

11. Peace says:

I’m glad the Republicans are trying to change our state to be a RTW state. We need change, not old regulations that no longer apply in todays society. I think the Democrats need to re-think always saying “NO” to every idea Republicans have. Maybe they need to be more progressive and get up with the times!!

1. the new normal says:

And when do the GOP at listen listen and do some compromising…why do I have to sit and have the GOP position on everything shoved down my throat? I am a middle of the roader, but the GOP stance of our way or the highway keeps pushing me left.

2. The Truth says:

Republicans idea of progressive is rolling back the clock to 1900 instead of 1890.

12. notpaid says:

Company Union does not want to hire me, and Nonunion coporation doesn’t either. What is the dirty difference there?

13. Enough says:

So is everything going to be decided on by a public vote and put into the state constitution? I thought Republicans were supposed to be against more government and all they seem to do is make more laws?

1. dan says:

Its called a democracy and we get to vote on what we want for laws. Republicans are seeking less rules in this case. Freedom to work and not be bullied into a Union should be a right everyone should stand behind.

1. The Truth says:

Actually, dan, it’s called a Republic. In a Republic we vote for representatives to make the laws. That is what our country was founded on.

Freedom to work (for less) is what you want. The rest of us prefer living wages.

14. LK says:

You people “Republicans” do not have a clue. It is because of the republicans Obama can’t get anything done. Its a no brainer. Unions help workers and republicans only want you to think a right to work state is good – IT IS NOT! Do you want people working for less than $10 an hour 80 hours a week? Think about it! Do you want unskilled workers building your buildings, roads, bridges, etc. etc?

1. Kevin says:

Your a freaking moron. Only 11% of the nation is union. And I believe it breaks down to around 7% Govt unions and 3% private unions. So how the h*ll does giving 11% of the work force a right to decide if they want to be in a union or not mean the end of the world? Oh and if your a moron working for less than $10 an hour and your working 80 hours a week….you should walk slowly on I-694 until you see the light. Or better yet go to school and make your life better, you dont need me and or the Govt to do that for you! Freakin liberal moron…..

2. dan says:

Unskilled workers? Kind of like the stoned and drunk automotive workers in Detroit puting your drive train together.

3. Right of left and left of right says:

Do you mean those first two years when the Democrats controlled the house, the senate and the White house he could not get anything done? Is that like saying all of our problems today are still President George Bush’s fault? When will President Obama and the Democrats take any responsibility for their inaction and inability to compromise and get ANYTHING done?

4. Grynch says:

If you want to talk about unskilled workers LK, look up how much of our budget goes towards funding education and then compare it to the quality of our public school system.

15. good point says:

Good point LK!!! But the problem is these Republicans have so many people brainwashed they can’t think for themselves. If they would just do some investigating they would realized how much good unions actually do but they let the Republicans think for them.

1. dan says:

Cant think for themselves? I thought you were talking about union employees. Outside of a test crash dummy, who would work for an employer and only get a raise or change of benefits when the Union thinks its best. Who wants to get paid the same as the lazy guy sleeping the day away in his truck?

2. hunnybear18 says:

Right. Because unions are all about individuals thinking for themselves and making their own choices. Oh, wait, they are against choice in this one. Never mind.

3. sarn says:

No, horrible point… you sir are out of your flipping mind. Unions only do good for themselves and for the politicians they support and it’s all at your expense.

This issue is not important anyways. We need to focus on gay marriage, that is a must.

16. G Dog says:

“Right to Work” should be named “One More Step to Slavery – with Massa CEO gettin’ a REALLY big bonus this Year”

1. Dayton Does Doggy says:

Great facts there Mr. Dod.

2. Citizen says:

“Right to Work” should be named “Freedom”. I’m FREE to work wherever I want without being FORCED (slavery) to join a union.

17. rick says:

I don’t understand the issue. If this goes to a vote before the people of Minnesota. The group that can get the most votes wins. Isn’t this better than someone else forcing their agenda?

1. Swamp Fox says:

@Rick
      ?????????????????
      Right Now the MN GOP/Tea Party is forcing their agenda on us! Where are the jobs that need the right-to-work amendment. Besides, we don’t need an amendment because we already have R-T-W laws on the state statute books.

18. Swamp Fox says:

Hey Folks;
    Can’t you see what this issue is doing to all of us here on this thread? It is drawing us away from the greater issues that are before the Legislature. The GOP majority and some lazy Democrats want to stall us with a right-to-work debate and proposed state Constitutional amendment as the major issue of the day.

Sorry folks but the real truth of the matter is that the GOP/Tea-Party has no idea or wish to fix whats ailing this state’s economy and employment outlook. Minnesotans are homeless, jobless, and suffering from the political BS and gridlock at the Capitol. No one wants to work together for the common good.

Whether you agree with the Governor or not, he has proposed many cost effective ideas that could get Minnesota out of the economic doldrums. Instead all he has gotten is vindictive gridlock and raucous debate. The few in the MN GOP who know how to get things accomplished are being stymied by their own party and come-lately tea drinkers. Compromise and consensus have become dirty words to legislate by.

Now you have some supposed GOP bigwigs telling us we need a state constitutional amendment over the right-to-work laws already in place. What good are these laws &/or subsequent changes if there are no jobs that will be covered.

How about where are the balanced budget bills that will help this state recover and avoid another shortfall? Where are the bills to promote new business and full employment? AND, where are the bills to be enacted that will avoid the state government and services from shutting down again?

Don’t talk to me, at present, about the right to work amendment. Talk to me about the state of the state and its economic help. Where are the jobs so I can work, pay taxes, and enjoy my life? Where are the new roads, bridges, and public works we need to improve our quality of life? I could on but who is going to listen in St.Paul?

Come On, people, see the light of day here. We are being political bamboozled when more dire needs and issues need to be dealt with. Do we want to end up like Wisconsin and a couple other states in a bitter political gallimaufry that makes no sense or taste at all? Think about it!

19. grumpygeezer says:

Another constitutional amendment??? I thought we elected these people to make decisions. Now all they seem to want to do is “put it before the people to vote on”. At this pace, why do we need a legistature? That would certainly be the ulitmate “less government”. Maybe we should also vote on such issues as their pay…….

20. Citizen says:

Doing away with forced union participation in order to have a job is one of the best ideas that has come out of our state government in a long time. Allowing people the freedom to work without joining a union may not solve all of the economic issues we face. But it’s significantly better Dayton’s only real effort to stimulate the economy, spending a lot of money we don’t have to create temporary union jobs.
    It may not have been pretty, but Wisconsin and Indiana got it right. We need to follow their lead.

21. Harleymanmn says:

There is no way that you should be required to be a union member to hold a job. If the union is so attractive, sell it to the employee and they can volunatarily join and pay dues to be a member. It should not be legislated to require you to belong to a union and require the employer to collect dues. Let the union grow or die on the merits voluntary membership!

22. RIII says:

I have been forced to join 2 unions to get the job. The unions did nothing but promote people based on how long they had been there and not on skils or ability. If you worked faster then the others they would tell you to slow down. If you took the time to get a better skil set and did the job better then others is did not make a differance in promotions. We need to do a way with paing the mob for a job!

1. Ross Perot says:

Rlll; You are spot on. My friend has been a postmaster and has tried to fire several people because they don’t work hard, don’t show up and convince others to slow down. (At the USPS management is non union and carriers are( unionized) He’s been trying for years to fire these employees and has to fight the union all the way. He is successful about 10% of the time and even that takes about 2 years to accomplish

23. Rentacop says:

The union members will retire with a pension and benefits.
    The non union people will retire with ??????????? 401K??????
    If I had a choice, I’d take the higher wages and the security of a pension.

24. bubba55124 says:

If your not a union member you have no clue what this law will do. Wages will drop on every job in this state. Example,heavy equipment operators make roughly $25-27 an hour hear, in a right to work state like Arizona, they make $12 an hour. The companies that pay union wages can afford it, the only ones that want this law are the greedy ones. Keep in mind what I said, wages will drop on every job in this state,do you want to share the money or let the company keep it ?????

1. Kevin says:

My God your a moron….http://www.postbulletin.com/news/stories/display.php?id=1484525

2. Ross Perot says:

Richard Trumka President AFL-CIO
      Andy Stern President SEIU
      Gerald Mcentee President AFSCME3 of the largest unions in the country.
      All 3 are members of the DSA, Democratic Socialist Party of America
      The top 2 are members of the Communist Party of the U.S.

1. jimmy says:

I have surfed the net and found what you say to be untrue. If you have a link that you are proud of go ahead and post it.

25. ipmutt says:

What is with these people. If a person has a job but does not want to be part of a union, how can a government force that person to join. This is America. We give people the right to choose, especially when it comes to work. Can you imagine if we forced people to join a political party of a religion based on where they work? Do these democrats only allow freedom when it suits their psrty supportes. This is not right

26. John says:

If you don’t believe in unions why would you apply for a job at a union shop? Oh wait, its probably the pay, better healthcare, a defined pension and more vacation. I also get a kick out of all these people not wanting to pay union dues. No big deal, I claim mine each year when I file my taxes. Its also funny reading all these posts from people who don’t want their dues going to politicians they don’t support. Now i cant speak for all unions but the two unions I have belonged to had it written in the bylaws that dues could not go to political parties. All money that went to politicians came from voluntary contributions from members. It just goes to show you that most of these people who slam unions have no idea about unions and how they work. I wonder how many of these people who don’t want to pay union dues at a union shop would then be willing to work for less money and have less of a compensation package than their dues paying coworkers. I think not. UNIONS set the standards.

1. Ross Perot says:

John, read my comments above. If you want to sell out the constitution and the free market system for a few more bucks that is your choice. These union heads are socialist/communist/marxists. It’s all over the web. Do some research. If you still agree then stand up and say you are a socialist/marxist and I don’t believe in the constitution and the free market system. You can even go on you tube where these union thugs say capitalism is broke and they want to take over the means of production. If you so strongly believe in unions knowing their true desires, then stand up and say you’re a marxist. I will have no problem with you then.

27. Incredulous1 says:

Odd how the Reverselicans in our fine state are doing exactly the same thing Reverselicans in other state houses are doing, i.e. Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio. Why are we setting public policy for our state by listening to some outside groups (read American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) ) ? Vote them out in November!

28. ED E says:

Get Real, for construction workers, the wage difference is more than $5,000 but up to $10,000 for neighboring states in the same construction job class versus MN. So the difference is larger in construction. But, we are talking about an $11 hour salary. We are NOT talking about workers getting rich here in either case. Right To Work is a killer of the American Middle Class….not a job creator. Of course you could say it is a job creator when the worker is forced to go get a second job at Taco Bell. There is your new job creation measure.

29. 30 year UNION MAN says:

No one has ever forced any one to “belong” to a Union. You can be fair shared at a reduced rate. Thus you won’t have any voting righs on any issues.

30. Let Freedom Ring says:

No where and I mean no where in this movement of freedom is preventing someone wishing to join an union from joining.
    If the union membership is warranted then join one. If unions are so important and great, why do the dems want to take away an employees right of choice?

31. 30 year union man says:

All the issues above some are just crazy remarks. Yes union people get bennis. Yes we pay dues. Yes we have a Union rep. If we did not our boss would be pulling our chain and we would be making Min. Wage. Hire street people who don’t want bennis. And who only want min wage. Lets see how long they last when the boss starts to pull their chain. They would spend more money on training than the job is worth. Yup Private sector is the way to go. Save lots of money that way. I bet. LMAO at the person that said they were forced to join a union. If you didn’t want to join then walk away. Been in a Union for over 30 years and proud of it.

32. Benny says:

the people will decide and just like voter id it will pass in a landslide. this is a no brainer.

1. Paul Solinger says:

You’re right, Benny. It will pass in a landslide. As a matter of fact, if I were you, I wouldn’t even waste my time voting. Instead you can save time by going to work, standing in front of your boss, bending over, and saying “Thank you, sir, may I have another?”. Since that will be the “end” result of this law passing.

1. Benny says:

boss can’t do that as I plan to vote against gay marrage.

33. Harleymanmn says:

To those writing in that support union membership I ask the following: If your union is a worthy organization to belong to, why do you have a problem with making it voluntary to belong to a union? If the union is as good as you say, you should not require mandatory membership when working for an employer nor should the employer be the one required to collect the dues. The dues should be paid voluntarily from each member directly to the union and keep it out of the payroll function. As the law is now written, you cannot work for a signatory employer unless and only if you join the union. I say that if the union is a worthy organization, let it stand on those merits alone and not because the law mandates it which is socialist.

34. kevin says:

It’s all about the money and foring someone to pay dues which a large portion is siffened off to the democratic party and you have no choice. As a member of anyother party will the union send money to the libritarian , rnc or anyother party, no way. Dues are a scam and unions have become the people they hate.

35. Murph says:

The GOP supports your right to work “for less” ! The corporations also support that and would most certainly take advantage of that advantage! Would they hire goons to threaten you and commit violence on you? History shows that they did it before! Stop grasping on to Faux promises and false promiser’s! These GOP’ers are mercilously and hopelessly addicted to their rich masters and their place as foot warmers on the soft beds of luxury bought by your blood,sweat and tears! Their one desire is to replace and give early burials to you and your slippery grasp on a humane living wage!

1. Citizen says:

Other than you hate anyone involved with the GOP, what’s your point? Babbling on will not convince anyone to back whatever it is you support.

36. State of the Union says:

Its as simple as this people, I have a Choice that Choice should not affect whether I can take a Job or Not because someone says I do not Have a Choice. This is the current problem with Unions, They force you to join to get the Job that your qualified for and need to feed your family.

That is not the premise of what this country was built on. You should have a choice to take a job and not the Union. Plus if you go on strike the Union still gets paid and you do not? how does that work for you? for me I would say that I’m not getting what I paid for.

37. Adam says:

I am a union employee in MN. I am not required to belong to it to have a job. Maybe because I work in county government that is different than the construction industry. Sometimes I wonder just what they do for me. But come contract negotiation they fight just to keep my current wage or maybe get a 1 or 2% wage increase over 2 years. I would be happy with what I make if the cost of the things I need to feed and clothe my family didn’t go up each year. On the other hand, my mother-in-law works for a fairly large aseptic plant in a very small town and they make gooood money for the area. I think she is at around $17 an hour in an area where you can buy a pretty decent home for under 70,000. And they went on strike a couple of years back. That was ridiculous if you ask me. So I can see the GOP’s point to a certain extent. Problem lies with the corporations and CEO’s though. Because they want to make their millions, and if they have to pay a bit more to their labor force maybe they won’t be able to afford that second or third vacation home, or that new jet. I think people see how much money a company makes and just wants their fair share for doing all the work. So the question is, what is their fair share? That is where the unions come in. They have all the information regarding the annual “rake” a company makes. Why should the owner of a company make 1,000,000 a year and pay squat to the people that are actually making him or her the money? That owner could afford to make a little less, say around 600,000 and live a very good life well at the same time paying his employees a good wage so they can live comfortably without sweating it out until the next payday. Everyone can’t be rich…but there is definitely enough money flying around this country to make the middle class a bit more secure.

Inflation is a b!tch, so go after that instead of going after the unions. Again if it weren’t for inflation, I wouldn’t need a raise each year…

I am still on the fence for this presidential election. I vote the person, not based on party lines. I voted for GW’s first term, and I voted for Obama. I am beginning to think that Ron Paul may be the man if he can get the nomination tho. I think his ideas about the economy would make this union fight a moot point. He blames the Federal Reserve for inflation because they keep “making money out of thin air”. If our government could get their stuff together and actually fix the budget and slow inflation waaaay down, maybe several other areas would fix themselves. Maybe our wages would catch up with the cost of living.

38. 1 + 1 = 2 says:

$760 in union dues last year. There is a GROWING number of very good public school teachers who are fed up with the democrat-union voice. I received 38 mailings from my union telling me that I must vote for Obama. Many of which were boarding on hate speech. There are a lot of sheep in the education field. Most right thinking teachers stay silent. Unions are hurting our children and their future. Please think this voting year.

1. MAJ says:

This could have been written by my daughter who is a teacher. She is not happy to pay $760 for nothing. Why does this union get by recommending that teachers vote for Obama. Can’t educated people decide who to vote for on their own.

39. Vote Union YES! says:

Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!
    Then, Why doesn’t it appear in the comments.

40. Murph says:

Don’t worry folks,the government has spent many ears sprucing up concentration camps all across the country to deal with your objections with whomever wins in 2012.! The REX 84 program has housing,starvation meals and menial jobs for giant corporations all set up for you! It’s the GOP idea for poor people,we will take care of you! AKA “work will set you free!”. 800 camps,some holding up to 20,000 non 1 percenters, it’s a goldarn GOP wet dream just waiting for you to make it come true. Move to the woods now! While you still can.They’ll proably still get you,but maybe you’ll get some of THEM first!