Local

Minnesota Bans ‘Piggyback Bandit’ From Prep Events

View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

Sports Fan Insider

Keep up with your favorite teams and athletes with daily updates.
Sign Up
Today's Most Popular Video
  1. 4 Things To Know For Dec. 17, 2014
  2. Downtown Cubicle Turned Into Holiday Cabin
  3. Officer-Involved Shooting, Chase Shuts Down I-694
  4. Threats Of Violence Cancel 'Interview' Premiere
  5. WCCO Archives: A 1993 Trip To Cuba

BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota is banning the man known as the “Piggyback Bandit” from high school games in the state.

Twenty-eight-year-old Sherwin Shayegan has a history of jumping on the backs of high school athletes.

Executive Director David Stead of the Minnesota State High School League says Shayegan was seen in St. Cloud on Thursday and was known to be in Minneapolis Friday.

Stead says he is banning Shayegan from all league-sponsored games and fine arts activities in Minnesota.

On Thursday, the North Dakota High School Activities Association took similar action after Shayegan showed up at three high school sporting events in Bismarck.

Last week Shayega pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor counts of assault after his arrest in Helena, Mont. He acknowledged jumping on two players at a soccer tournament in October.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,331 other followers