Charges: Mpls. Man Ripped 3-Year-Old Daughter’s Ear

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A 26-year-old Minneapolis man has been charged with allegedly ripping his 3-year-old daughter’s ear by pulling on it, according to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office.

Corey Leigh Buckholtz was charged with one gross misdemeanor of malicious punishment of child in connection to the incident, which occurred on Feb. 14, 2012.

According to the criminal complaint, the victim arrived at day care with a one-inch tear behind her left ear. Both the victim and her 4-year-old sister reported that their “daddy,” identified as Buckholtz, pulled on her ear, causing the laceration.

The victim’s mother, however, reported that the ear injury was a result of eczema and dry skin, the complaint said.

Investigators later responded to the victim’s home and found her mother and Buckholtz, and they were uncooperative.

When child protection talked to the victim, she said “my daddy cracked it” and that she went in the corner because she turned on the TV. She also said that Buckholtz sends her down to the basement and she gets scared when she’s down there, the complaint said.

Buckholtz waived his Miranda rights and agreed to talk with officers. He said that the injury to the victim’s ears was caused by eczema, and said he pulled the victim’s ear previously, but not hard. He couldn’t explain the bruising on her right ear. He added he tells the kids there are ghosts in the basement to get them to behave, according to the complaint.

If convicted, Buckholtz could face up to one year in prison and/or a $3,000 fine.

Comments

1. PeeWee says:

What??????What????????

2. angie says:

and/or?
    that’s it? they are allowed to continue to “parent” these kids?!

3. Mr UFC says:

Maybe tough guy corey would like to try and pull on my ear just once. I can promise him he’ll reap the consequences of his actions. I’d be happy to take his childs place if he thinks its ok to abuse someone who is utterly defenceless.

1. weakling says:

internet tough guy here

2. GRAN H says:

MY PRAYER IS THAT HE WILL BE TAKEN OUT OF HER WORLD. hE IS NOT HER FATHER. PRAY SHE HEALS AND CAN FORGET THE MEAN BAD ARSS COREY

4. Susan says:

I am so angry at that lousy mother!!!!! I would have just punched any one who would treat any of my babies that way. We are suppose to protect our children and he tells them thst there are ghosts in the basement and then makes them stay in the basement. These little kids must be terrified and that horrible “mother” let’s it happen

1. Charley Manson says:

Why — trying to teah the little turd some manners he was.
      and momma needs the meat and taters so
      tally ho ….. ho

5. Pate says:

Wow,what an excuse.

6. that poor kid says:

Traditional Family Values- if they don’t listen, bend their ear – or break it. Then they will listen. Going to bed without supper is so passe these days.

7. See BS says:

Sounds more like an accident — but the State of Minnesota is full of Union thugs.

Of course the Union Thug Taliban will take care of it so the dad will have to explain it in a fast food job interview when she wants a bicycle for her birthday.

1. @ BS says:

I can’t wait until you have an ‘accident’. You’re a waste of a human being.

8. JG says:

Well even if it was an accident…like he did let his temper get the best of him. take the kid to the dr, i mean accidents happen its what you do after them that makes a difference.

9. GRAN H says:

i KNOW THIS PRECIOUS CHILD AND SHE DIDN’T DESERVE ANY OF THIS. sHE IS LOVING AND SWEET AND ONLY WANTS TO BE LOVED AND CUDDLED LIKE ANY CHILD. i’VE HELD HER AND WHEN SHE LOOKS AT YOU SHE REALLY LOOKS IN YOUR EYES AND FINDS OUT IF YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT HER. i LOVE THIS LITTLE GIRL AND MY PRAYER IS THAT SHE WILL FINALLY GET AWAY FROM HER PARENTS.

10. sue says:

just think she’ll grow up just like her daddy

11. makayleys says:

As a Christian I find these types of cruel attacks on God’s Children ( I can’t find the words to describe how I’m feeling about people like these!) Through the tears I ask God to forgive them all, but I pray God will give these precious little people the justice they deserve. We ask ourselves, (why?) do our children rebel, well, doda, you people are why! I pray for the children in these situations ,and I pray that the perps are paid back with God’s rath.

1. mandly says:

starting to harrass verbally, comment should be taken down

12. Concerned Dad says:

To me it seems like an accident, severe cases of eczema do cause lacerations as it is an irritation of the skin and children do itch and scratch. As far as him saying there are ghosts in the basement, whats the big deal? Any child of that age are afraid of ghosts, plus when children are of that age they can be cohearsed into saying practically anything as long as they have heard it anywhere before. I can ask any child of that age something they dont know about and they would possibly agree with me. Three year olds dont have an extensive vocabulary as well. I also highly doubt he put them in the basement either or the kids would have told teachers prior. From what I know this man has been this childs father since day one even though he is not biologically hers, he has supported her financially her entire life. So do I think this is just an accident yes I do, do I feel there are far more serious cases of child abuse in this county that go unknowledged, yes I do. There are homeless families where the kids are not taken care of. There are cases of broken bones, parents that whip the kids with extension cords etc. burning with lighters and cigarettes. So I wouldnt be quick to judge these parents. So “Gran H” if you know this child and were concerned why wouldnt you say anything sooner? Also Mr UFC, do you really enjoy being a tough guy over the internet? Maybe he didnt take her to the Dr. because the laceration wasnt serious, for yall know it could have been as small as a scratch. So dont be quick to judge, for anyone knows this all will probably go away when the truth is revealed because it doesnt seem like a serious case of abuse as there is across this state and country.

13. Concerned Dad says:

All charges were dropped because the state found nothing had happened and that the investigation should had never happened. Also the prosecuting DA would have never tried the case, but the fill in DA signed off on the charges.