GOP Leaders Work To Stop Sex Offender’s Release
Get Breaking News First
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A man who has been labeled as a predatory sex offender — and locked up in the state hospital in St. Peter — is about to be released.
Clarence Opheim has admitted to a 100 predatory sex acts — most of them young boys — before 1993. That’s the year he was committed indefinitely under Minnesota’s civil commitment law.
Earlier this month, a three-judge panel approved the release of Opheim to a half-way house, saying he had completed treatment.
However, republican leaders do not want him released.
House Majority Leader Rep. Matt Dean spoke with WCCO’s Esme Murphy on the matter on the Sunday Morning show. He said they have strong concerns about Opheim’s release — as well as the lack of public notification.
“We’re working as fast as we can,” he said. “We’re going to bring this up under emergency rules of the House on Monday.”
Watch the video above for the full interview.