Hwy 55 Closed Tuesday AM Due To Bridge Cable Snap

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Highway 55 will be closed to motorists between East 26th Street and Lake Street Tuesday morning while crews work to repair the pedestrian bridge above it that sustained a cable snap, the Department of Transportation said.

Authorities are worried the Martin Olav Sabo pedestrian bridge might not be stable. Crews are working to put temporary supports under the bridge so that cars and trains can move again under it.

Mike Kennedy, director of public works with the City of Minneapolis, said the bridge will likely be closed for some time while crews work on repairs, but they’re hopeful Highway 55 below the bridge will be open by Tuesday.

Light rail passengers are being bused around the bridge. For up-to-date information on detours, visit Metro Transit’s website.

There is no word on what caused the cable snap. The bridge opened in 2007.

Comments

1. Pundit says:

When politicians waste our money making infrastructure elements “pretty” bad things happen.

Let the engineers create the simplest structures satisfying our needs.

It will be cheaper and safer.

And there is a beauty in simplicity.

1. Akazikian says:

And architecture is dead. It’s been a good 20,000 years, but you’ve ended the run. Good work, pundit.

2. Ash says:

Well at least the story about the dum**** jumping on trains has DISAPPEARED!!!!!!

3. CMA says:

It was just inspected last fall-good system they have!!

4. Ace says:

Let’s see who ends up paying for the repair. Want to bet it’s us?

5. Ace says:

You did not print my comment and tell me I keep repeating the same thing over. Again, YOU DID NOT PRINT MY COMMENT AT ALL

6. Ginny says:

I watch WCCO every morning, one reason is to find out what my commute is going to be like. This article didn’t bother to mention the Light Rail being shut down. My commute took an extra half and hour because of this. Had I known ahead of time, I would have driven to work.