2 Storms Could Bring Belated Winter Wonderland

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Minnesota has managed to dodge a white, fluffy bullet for most of the winter thus far. But the state’s dry fortune looks to change over the next five days.

“Our luck has run out,” said WCCO meteorologist Mike Augustyniak. “Or it’s increased, depending on how you want to look at it.”

The current forecast calls for not one, but potentially two significant snow events going through the upcoming weekend.

The first event should arrive in the area on Thursday. Augustyniak says the Twin Cities should see flakes begin to fall by the morning rush hour. Snow is expected to continue throughout the day.

By the end of Thursday, central and southern Minnesota and Wisconsin will see an average of 1 to 3 inches of new, wet snow. A narrow band of enhanced snowfall is also possible, which Augustyniak says could bring a few communities up to 3 to 5 inches of snowfall.

If snow totals reach that mark in the metro, it would qualify as the biggest snowstorm of the season so far. But Augustyniak is tracking another system that could take that title away in a matter of days.

On Sunday, a storm affecting the entire region could potentially bring even more snow to the state.

The storms may bring commuters and sidewalk shovelers a few headaches, but they also look to settle the state’s snow deficit.

More from Mike Augustyniak
Comments

1. Alden says:

1-3 inches isn’t exactly a snowstorm…

1. call it what you want says:

This year it is…

1. pork chop says:

bring it on

2. MN Fan says:

I couldn’t agree with you more Alden!! If the wind was blowing 30-40mph and it was snowing 2-5″ an hour….that is a storm!!! Snow without any wind is just a snowfall.

2. Ann says:

Believe it when I see it!

3. beenthere says:

I am having a big fundraiser for my brother on Sunday! We need to raise this money for him. Please no snow or light snow…this can’t happen. Weather man do something!!!! LOL

1. the daily funny says:

yeah, it’s all about you…

1. minniegirl says:

way to be a jerk with that kind of comment. so they don’t want a snowstorm; big deal? I have plans too and don’t want a ton of snow either.

1. Snow Angel says:

I hope it snows a foot

2. MN Fan says:

Hope your fundraiser goes well!!

4. me says:

…No complaints….been lucky so far…

5. I need Spring says:

Obviously we couldn’t get through the winter without this happening. Go figure now that we are close to spring, we would get snow. Why this surprises me in this state, I have no idea. I only wish I could find work in a much more temperate no winter /snow climate. Why my ancestors chose this state to settle is beyond me. and, why Minnesota is the only place I can find work is even more beyond me. Winter…ugggg snow…double uggggg.

1. Tom says:

To help you out a little with some little known history-most settlers stayed here when a wheel fell off their wagon and they were unable to repair it before winter set in. Then after their first winter in Minnesota their brain had been frozen to such a degree as to no longer see the reasoning behind continuing on. Just sayin.

6. Wake up says:

Lets hope that the weatherman is right for a change otherwise we will really needs some substantial rain come spring or we’ll be hurtin come summer.
    Bring it on as I’ve been waitin all season for the snow.

7. Finally says:

I thought Winter is on vacation in Europe. Apparently it got tired of it and came back to work.

1. minniegirl says:

hahaha this made me laugh good one!

8. Denise says:

As much as I dislike shoveling or driving when the roads are nasty, we REALLY need the snow. If we don’t start getting some moisture the lakes, rivers and streams are gonna be WAY down and the farmers are gonna be hurting because there won’t be enough ground water to support crops. Besides, it’s the end of February. Not like any snow we get is going to hang around for very long.