Man Sentenced For Destroying Nests, Killing Chicks

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — A 59-year-old man has been sentenced for killing and attempting to kill a large number of American white pelicans, which are protected under federal law.

In U.S. District Court in St. Paul Tuesday, a judge sentenced Craig Louis Staloch of Minnesota Lake to two years of probation and imposed numerous conditions, which include a $12,500 fine and 100 hours of community service directly related to wildlife preservation. He earlier pleaded guilty to one count of violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a federal misdemeanor.

According to the United States Attorney s Office, on May 17, 2011, farmland rented by Staloch was visited by a wildlife specialist with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR). The purpose of the visit was to assess the status of an area that had been used as a nesting colony by pelicans the year before. Upon arrival, the specialist found numerous adult pelicans, many sitting on nests.

The next day, the same specialist returned with others to conduct a complete count of the pelicans at the site. However, no adult pelicans were found and broken eggs were discovered in many of the nests, appearing to have been smashed with a heavy object. Also, researchers found countless dead pelican chicks — some crushed — and other dead from abandonment or exposure.

There were 1,458 nests in the colony. More than 70 percent of the nests had been destroyed, according to the Attorney’s Office.

Comments

1. Deep THinker says:

Another serial killer of chicks.

1. jackactionhero says:

and a waste of eggs…mmmmm nummmy eggs
      Were they fertile? If so they are even a higher source of protein. Add a strip of a pig and you have Perkins in the Field ! mmmmmmmmmmmm good stuff

2. Drew says:

He should have been sentenced to his crop entirely destroyed.

3. Pundit says:

“broken eggs were discovered in many of the nests, appearing to have been smashed with a heavy object.”

Yes, it takes a sledge hammer to break an egg.

4. Monica Nyblom says:

He should have gotten jail time. Bet those weren’t the only animals he has killed.

5. Murph says:

I beg your pardon.He must have a nice crop of Mary Jane close by.What other excuse would he have for destroying the reason the “authorities” would have come to visit his hideout! Gotta be smarter than the bad guys to catch ’em!Maybe some human bodies buried nearby even! Weird if not for one of the above reasons.Or maybe an illegal still! Naw,he woulda cut into my business then and I’d ah heard about it!

6. Susan says:

oh !!!! you must be his brother, What a low life!!!

7. Sonjay says:

Lawlz I like your over the top message but seriously the Brilliant Liberal Zoologists commenting on rural life is ridiculous. I can’t imagine these people trying to make a living with a low population (Meaning less opportunity in a diversity of jobs that don’t involve the family business) have ANYTHING in common with these Citydiot commentators. If they ACTUALLY got up close and personal with REAL nature they would realize that living in nature is to survive TRUE rigors and when there’s no one around to hear you scream what do you do?

1. Susan says:

glad no one is around to hear you scream lunatic!!!!

1. Sonjay says:

Just because you look and sound like a chicken doesn’t mean you’re a bird.

2. citizen00 says:

Not so sure who’s the lunatic

1. jackactionhero says:

me maybe?? I like eggs …… really like eggs…..mmmmmmmmmm

2. Troy says:

Shoot ’em! Shoot ’em Elizabeth

3. Guest says:

We all know how dangerous colonies of pelicans can get
      They might have gotten big enough to scoop him up in their bill,old cartoon style

8. john says:

was he a fish farmer? if not obviously pelicans dont feed on grains they eat fish etc.i agree some of these type birds cormorants,pelicans etc need b kept in check too r hard on fish populations n all but if these birds were not harming this farmers intrests then he had no reason to do the action he did. n no i not one of the cidiots

9. Drew says:

The law is the law you morons…If the species is federally protected, you can’t do a thing. If he was really upset he should’ve contacted his local DNR officer and checked if there was some sort of alternative solution. D-bag conservatives…always jumping to unnecessary conclusions with no deliberation.

10. Brett says:

I’m not a PETA supporter, but I think that this guy got off way to easy. What kinds of harm happen due to a healthy pelican population? Don’t ask me about cormorants. That’s another story.

1. f8 f8 says:

but what about cormorants

1. jackactionhero says:

I eat their footsies hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good. Some bbq sauce and yummy. Like a chicken finger

11. svea says:

And what if you were a PETA supporter? Does that make your argument less valid?

12. GN says:

Pelican colonies tend to destroy rather wide areas where nothing can grow. As the colony becomes larger, the more destruction. I believe this fellow complained to the DNR on several occasions about the destruction and they did nothing. WCCO is reporting only one side of the story. Typical media reporting.
    No, I do not know Mr. Staloch.

1. Jolly Roger says:

nor do I.
      nor will I

13. Jolly Roger says:

I know the peilcans

14. citizen00 says:

Some laws are meant to changed…animals will be animals!. We have too much too worry about than to sentenced someone for some animals!

1. Ace says:

15. citizen00 says:

All this fuss’ about some White pelicans. Bet you if they were Black pelicans no one would care!

1. jackactionhero says:

prolly not ____ but that’s the way life is

16. Ace says:

17. Ace says:

If you’d murder baby birds, you’re not fit to live in this world. If you could just smash tiny baby birds with a hammer, I could only imagine what you would do to a human if you were mad at that person. Cruelty is so unnecessary but some twisted idiots get pleasure out of it and those people should be locked up away from society forever. I clicked on submit and your site said: page not found. I clicked again on submit ad it said I was posting too quickly. Get your act together. Now you say page not found again. I guess you don’t like what I have to say and there is no free speech on this site. There are other news stations

18. Mad_as_Heck says:

Maybe some one should come along and smash his babies head in. Do onto others as you would like others to do to you.

The earth DOES NOT BELONG TO HUMANS….it belongs to alll species of life it created. To think otherwise is to proclaim your immense egomania.

Just because we have set up a process of allocating land via purchase does not mean other species are suppose to abide by it.

To kill any baby of any species is a crime against nature and she always gets her due.

He will pay dearly either on this side or the next. God doesn’t take kindly to those whole kill his innocent creatures.

19. jackactionhero says:

me maybe ?????

20. Kevin says:

I bet you he’s black!

21. jonanthony says:

My instincts tell me his tooth-count and IQ are in the same quartile.

22. Crystal says:

Not sure why this is such a debate. He broke the law and is being punished. You can debate whether you think the punishment was sufficient, but discussing what pelicans do or don’t do is irrelevant.