Wis. DNR Ranger Faces Excessive Force Charge

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Prosecutors have accused a state park ranger of threatening a motorcyclist at gunpoint.

Bernard Mark Garvey of Argyle faces one misdemeanor count of endangering safety by use of a dangerous weapon.

Investigators said in a criminal complaint filed Monday a cyclist named Michael Parrot entered Yellowstone Lake State Park in June without a sticker for his motorcycle and got into a scuffle with Garvey over the motorcycle’s keys.

Garvey handcuffed him but Parrott managed move his hands from behind his body to the front. Parrott told investigators Garvey pressed the barrel of his gun against Parrot’s helmet and said “give me a reason.”

Online court records didn’t list an attorney for Garvey. DNR spokesman Bill Cosh says Garvey was relieved of his law enforcement duties in August.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Serpico says:

I wish I was a cop so I could beat people up and take their stuff.

1. Brett says:

You aren’t smart enough. Trust me.

2. Lakewood 4 are burning says:

A law enforcement officer is actually being charged for excessive force! Did hell freeze over?!

3. Brett says:

Ah, sounds like the “tough guy biker” was looking for a confrontation. If you need a STICKER to enter a state park, well, that’s the LAW. If some stupid biker wants to challenge the park ranger to a life or death struggle over a permit, well then, BRING IT ON. It the biker is THAT stupid, then maybe DEADLY FORCE, or the threat of it, is necessary to maintain ORDER. I’m a biker, but I won’t defend the stupid actions of other bikers.

1. KM says:

I don’t know what article you read, but the one I read stated the scuffle was over the bike keys not necessarily about not wanting to get a permit. The article actually did not give enough information! But if a park ranger was taking my bike keys w/out just cause, I would challenge it also!

1. Brett says:

SO, the BIKE KEYS didn’t want to get a permit?? CASE CLOSED.

2. Brett says:

Who said anything about “bike keys”??? When will ANYBODY respond to the “issue” abotu bike keys?? What, exactly, are BIKE KEYS?? is that a bike GANG THANG?

2. Lakewood 4 are burning says:

Bret again, please get sterilized ASAP!

4. Brett says:

Bike keys?? Who said ANYTING about BIKE KEYS??

5. Brett says:

Lakewood, please stay in your parents basement, you don’t want any part of DIS.

6. Lakewood 4 are burning says:

Ah…the parents basement one because you have nothing intelligent to say as usual. You are such hack Brett. Wonder if the average citizen would only be charged with a misdemeanor if we held a gun to someone’s head unlawfully? Absolutely not, this should be felony assault. Another dirt bag with a badge, that’s ok their time is coming.