House Vote Expected On Stillwater Bridge

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Legislation on building a new St. Croix River bridge connecting Minnesota and Wisconsin could get long-awaited consideration in the U.S. House this week.

Republican leaders placed the bill on the legislative calendar Monday evening. The House could take it up as soon as Wednesday. DFL Gov. Mark Dayton has warned Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann that he would direct state funding for the bridge elsewhere if it’s not taken up by March 15.

DFL Rep. Betty McCollum, who stands to inherit the bridge in redesigned congressional districts, sent correspondence to House colleagues Monday night, urging them to reject the legislation. Minnesota Public Radio News says McCollum calls the bridge a “monument to government waste.”

The U.S. Senate has already passed the bill that exempts the $700 million dollar Stillwater bridge from the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Andrew S says:

I usually cannot stand a word from the DFL mouthpieces BUT ….. McCollum, you go girl !
    The Bridge to Bankruptcy needs to stop. Here and now.

1. Greg Looseanus says:

What’s her position on GLBT? I know what mine is.

1. Amy Senser' says:

Let us hear it Greg lol
        I want this widened so I may have my students practice on it. 6 lanes would be better and maybe a rest room in the middle of it with a sauna – if that is not to expensive to add. Have yo’ll registered in my class yet?
        Rule #1
        Do not stop. Flle. Stash vehicle. Laywer up. Detox the body
        Now come forward.
        It is all covered in my class.
        The registration form is online for your convenience.

2. jackactionhero says:

Are you from Stillwater?

Do you deny the need for a new bridge there?

2. Rube says:

First time in History Betty McCollum has ever been against spending someone else’s money. She would be happier if it was just distributed to her constituants.

1. Jolly Roger says:

sounds to me like some pizzy locals who stand to benefit off my tax $$$$
      No – no – no
      It can be done for 60% of this cost……come on now all you Bachmann Tea Pee’ers. Where your fiscal constraint you hypocrites. LMFAO 😉 😉

2. Marcus Bachmann says:

and one of many that Sheeley voted YES to and sponsered to keep the good ol’ pork in the 6th
      I’m gonna miss you guys. We have been crying ourselves to sleep at night thinking how different things will be. I love love love you boys

3. MB's trained parrots says:

COME ON – WE COULD BE SPENDING EVEN MORE !

So it’s a pile of concrete that leads to and benefits Wisconsin and so what if it menas we pay for it all and they benefit o’er there.
    They have the Packers dudes, the Packers. You got the Purple Pukes.
    And everyone in Minnesota will see great benefit from this Bridge of Tribute to Michele. Seriously – don’t you live in Wisconsin and drive to MN to work? So you win !! Yea-Rah -ruh

4. ??? says:

Isn’t It Ironic?
    The food stamp program, part of the Department of
    Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food
    stamps ever.

Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Department of Agriculture,
    asks us to “please do not feed the animals” because the animals may grow
    dependent and not learn to take care of themselves

5. G Dog says:

See Michele? All you needed was a little kick in your Tea Party butt from the Guv to get this to a vote!!

1. jackactionzero says:

Tea party kicked her in the butt …. and off the stage …… months ago.
      I cannot imagine the Party thinks to highly of this bullchit….but hey. What’s another $300M for frosting eh????
      The fruitcakes reign in that area – way to much time playing doctor with one another. Inbred and Inbreeding – taught at Marcus’ Clinic of Purification no doubt

6. jackactionzero says:

seems I spoiked off all the “conservative” GOP voters.
    come back – I didn’t mean to. You get the bridge children and we’ll even have lines of etched gold for the center lines.
    Is there anything else I can get you while I am at it ?
    Maybe some more of the corporate farm subsizies or more federal money to faith heal the gay population?
    Come on Stillwater and the old 6th – straighten your hair, pull up your panties and lets talk