New Airline To Take Flight At Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. (WCCO) – Starting early Wednesday night, we should be able to start booking flights on a new airline at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.

We won’t know officially which airline it is until the Minneapolis Airport Commission announces it, but it’s widely expected to be Spirit Air.

That’s the airline known for its rock bottom prices and fees on everything from carry-on bags to boarding passes. The new airline will be flying out of Terminal 2 or the old Humphrey Terminal, which is right now dominated by hometown Sun Country Airlines.

The Twin Cities has the 11th highest airline prices in the nation.

“More competition is good,” said Lynn Arneson, a frequent air traveler.

Initial speculation focused on JetBlue or Spirit being the new airline at the MSP airport. A spokesperson for JetBlue said Tuesday that there was no announcement planned for Minnesota. Officials with Spirit Air didn’t confirm the announcement with WCCO-TV.

Edina-based travel agent Raelee Boyce said Spirit’s deals can appear better than they actually are. Delta’s round trip price for a flight from Chicago to the Dominican Republic is $719, while Spirits is $581.

But when you add in the Spirit fees of $50 for carry-on bags, $20 for an assigned seat and $2 each for snacks, drinks and printing a boarding pass, the price of the Spirit ticket jumped to 657. It’s still $54 less than Delta, but not quite the deal it appeared to be.

Travelers WCCO-TV talked to seemed to balk at the carry-on price more than anything.

“For me they shouldn’t charge for a carry-on,” said traveler Chuck Zwitt.

An official announcement on the new airline at the airport will be made at 9 a.m. Wednesday.

More from Esme Murphy
Comments

1. Al says:

Hello Raelee I am not a travel agent but the fee is only 50 bucks if it won’t fit under your seat. On top of that Delta messes around with all sorts of fees too. I for one am tired of flying with idiots that think the cabin is their personal locker and can carry half their garage in the overhead bin on top of my jacket.

2. Mechanic says:

Still censoring!

3. Tim says:

Interesting that T2 is “dominated” by Sun Country. According to the BTS, Southwest Airlines (with free bags and no change fees) has enplaned thousands more passengers than Sun Country for the past two years.

4. betty says:

I wish the Airport Commission would persuade Virgin or Jet Blue to fly out of MSP. They are the best!!!! Tired of these ‘old’ airlines (Delta, United) that just take their customers for granted.

5. Andrew M says:

It’s always amusing reading aviation related (mis)information written by local non-aviation reporters. Most have Delta business links. None actually understand what they are stating. Spirit is a less refined Ryanair. Its fliers are not the fliers that Delta covets. Most flights are connections, none will have the same reliability factor as Delta. This is not in any way competition for Delta and between SWA and SC at MSP I give these guys 6 months. Real competition would have come from JetBlue or to a degree Virgin America. This is junk. BTW – the fare quoted to Dominican Republic is absolute BS.

6. E VIE PEDERSEN says:

WELL I DON’T THINK YOU GUYS DUG QUITE DEEP ENOUGH ABOUT THE LUGGAGE PRICES.I HAD A FAMILY EMERGENCY, AND HAD TO FLY TO NORTH CAROLINA. WHEN I GOT TO THE OUTSIDE CHECK IN, THE MAN SAID YOUR SUITCASE IS OVERWEIGHT YOU HAVE TO GO INSIDE AND CHECK IN. I WAS THEN INFORMED THAT IT WOULD COST ME $90.00 MORE, TO PUT MY SUITCASE ON THE PLANE. THAT’S PLUS THE $25.00 YOU ALREADY PAID. SO OK. WELL I WASN’T GOING TO GET TRIPPED UP AGAIN ON THE WAY HOME. BUT I DID DO A LITTLE SHOPPING. SO I MAILED A 40LB. BOX HOME, THAT WAS $29.00 FROM THE POST OFFICE.
    I GOT TO THE CHECK IN AND THE GUYS LOOKED AT ME AND SAID “YOU ARE OVERWEIGHT” OH NOT AGAIN!!!. SO I HAD TO STILL PAY ANOTHER $90.00 TO GET THAT SUITCASE HOME, PLUS THE $25. ALREADY PAID. HA THAT DIDN’T COUNT MY CARRY ON. I DID HAVE TO LAUGH ABOUT IT, AND THE GUY CHECKING THE BAGS THOUGHT I WAS NUTS, BECAUSE EVERY ONE ELSE YELLS AT HIM. I JUST STOOD THERE AND LAUGHED. GUESS I BETTER LEARN HOW TO PACK BETTER.