Presidential McNugget Sells For $8K On eBay

DAKOTA CITY, Neb. (AP) — Call it McWashington.

A Nebraska woman has sold a three-year-old McDonald’s Chicken McNugget that resembles President George Washington for $8,100 on eBay.

The Sioux City Journal in Iowa says bidding ended just after 11:30 a.m. Monday.

screen shot 2012 03 06 at 2 37 49 pm Presidential McNugget Sells For $8K On eBay

Photo of George Washington McNugget from eBay listing page.

Rebekah Speight of Dakota City sold the McNugget to raise money for a drive to raise $15,000 and send 50 children to summer church camp in Sioux City.

Speight says her children didn’t eat the chicken during a McDonald’s visit three years ago. She was about to toss it, then spotted Washington’s resemblance. Speight stashed the McNugget in her freezer.

eBay had temporarily taken down the auction last month because it violated rules regulating expired food.

She later received an email saying the site was “willing to make exceptions to help your cause.”

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. I know best says:

where’s the picture of the nugget???

1. I know better says:

In the video at the top of the article.

1. johnson says:

You idiots, it was for a fundraiser to send kids to camp. Do you morons ever read anything but the title, and a chance to say something stupid anonymously?

2. Bink says:

Well, as we used to say in the car biz, there’s an ass for every seat.

1. Mencken Baken says:

“No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.” ~ H. L. Mencken

3. Ash says:

It looked like a regular chicken nugget to me! I don’t blame her kids for not wanting to eat those “chicken” nuggets!🙂

1. Desert Eagle says:

I ate one that looked like Obama. Similar results

1. Charlie Smith says:

I ate one that looked like Bill Maher the talk show hack on HBO’s Real Time, and then puked it up!!

2. JOSE says:

FAKE CHICKEN SERVED UP BY ILLEGAL ALIENS WITH FAKE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS WHAT A COUNTRY

4. MWF says:

Having to point out the parts should suggest something to you. For starter it does not resemble anything except in a very vague and questionable way. One the plus side it was not some religious figure… wait if you think of the chin as the nose, nose as eyes and ruffled shirt as beard you have…

1. DeusVult says:

taking another look at it, if the chin is the “nose”; the nose, eye and hair is “the 40’s style hat”; the ruffled shirt is the fur lining of top of a womans coat…it looks to me LIKE “eleanor roosevelt”!-LMAO!

5. Jerry says:

Boy i messed up, i just flushed a turd that looked like Obama!

1. I know better says:

That was probably just your reflection.

1. Skippy says:

As much as I chuckle at Jerry’s comment, I have to give this one to the lib for a WIN comeback.

1. me says:

I don’t think that was a WIN comment at all. Pretty typical liberal reply to me.

1. nick says:

To a comment that was an original Conservative post?

1. Some Guy says:

Well maybe not too original after all, because we all have turds that look like O’Communist.

2. marg1 says:

But what if all these birthers turn out to be right? More and more of the people I talk to are starting to doubt the validity of the long form birth certificate. They are questioning his college records, his Selective Service record…lots of questions out there with very few answers.

And my newest question: Where are all his former girlfriends?

1. Stop Communism says:

Where is EVERYTHING in Obama’s past life? The guy is a GHOST! No past college friends, girlfriends, jobs held, it’s as if he appeared from out of nowhere.

2. PTParks says:

Best response yet!!

3. Jodi says:

really, ? I’m sure he speaks highly of you —

6. Devon says:

Man, somebodys laughing all the way to the bank.

7. Fritz says:

If you want to get freaked out, look on youtube to see how mcnuggets are made.

8. Skippy says:

While it does look like Washington once the identifier tags are placed on the photo,; Good luck collecting on that bid. Most of these “winning” bids are from 13 year olds who are using their mom’s Ebay account and having some fun. Ebay bids are non binding even if they (Ebay) says they are…

9. X-Puffer says:

If you turn the picture upside down, it looks like the Virgin Mary.

10. Dennis D says:

Looks more like Barbara Bush

11. NoFear says:

I’ve got a turd that looks exactly like Obama.
    I wonder how much it’s worth?

1. Thomas says:

It must be worth quite a bit, the full size turd that looks like Obama has secret service protection.

2. Dufus says:

It’ll lose value on Nov. 6.

12. X-Puffer says:

You do not have to put McNuggets in the freezer.
    They take approximately 14 years to degrade at room temperature.

13. Brad says:

Just wait… the Taxman Cometh!!

1. Don says:

Noone is going to tax this as income. The unbelievable part is that someone actually paid that much for this thing. The only conveivable reason is to make a donation to the cause she is raising money for and generate a little more publicity for it. This certainly gives the cause more visability than it would have otherwise.

14. CommonCents says:

Can we assume eBay/PayPal upheld their ‘risk’ policy and are now holding her funds in a ‘pending’ status since this is clearly an auction of a dubious item?

Those of you who sell on eBay know exactly what I’m talking about.

15. SFC J. Simmons, USA, RET says:

1. I don’t see it.
    2. Some people just have too much money.

16. balderdash says:

Did any of you read the part of the article where she stated that the item was sold to raise money to send 50 kids to summer camp? I’m willing to bet that the cause had more to do with the little nugget being sold for $8.100. Ebay even gave her an excemption from their rules regulating expired food.

Chaka Over
    Khan Out

17. Crosscut says:

Someone has too much money.

18. Brett says:

Dear Internet:

I have a Dorito that looks like Morey Amsterdam. What is that worth?

Sincerely yours
    Some Bozo

1. uggggg says:

Brett, I wonder how many people in here even know who that was?

1. Brett says:

So, under $1000 then? What a rip!

19. Cemnei says:

The good news for the buyer is that the nugget, crammed full of preservatives, will never rot!

20. Janet says:

Seriously? There are hungry children and women who need contraceptives and people are paying this much for a chicken nugget??… That’s really not even chicken??

1. Learn to read says:

Moron, it’s not for the nugget, it’s for the cause

1. Janet says:

I did read the article. There are seriously hungry kids with families losing their homes…I can think of better use of money than camp when times are that hard. Look at the devastation from recent tornados alone….that’s all I’m saying and…Lose the hatred.

1. Robin says:

Unless you are giving ALL of YOUR money to charity, Janet, you have zero right to tell others how to spend THEIR money. Stinking lib.

1. Janet says:

Actually, I’m not telling anyone how to spend their money. I was just pointing out absurdities, in my opinion. It doesn’t mean anything…it’s just my opinion. I personally wouldn’t bid on a chicken nugget for a cause…I would just donate the money. I do give 10% + each year to charity. And, I’m a proud Republican.

2. nick says:

You got SERVED, Robin. Angry con.

21. AnneP says:

Okay, I am beginning to think the occupy people have a point. Americans have way too much money.

22. sebassh says:

Who paid money for used food? What a dumwad!

23. JDW says:

I confess. I bought the nugget. I wiped at my a s s with it and threw it at a group of Occupy Wall Street kids in Oakland.

I hollared “get a job” while throwing the McDonald’s nugget at their faces. You know, to be ironic.

24. DTyson says:

As it is largely a plastic product it should stay perfectly preserved for countless generations to enjoy.

1. nick says:

I believe they’re deep fried, freeze dried, and deep fried again before serving.

25. Daveindandridge says:

eBay item 320855766157 – take a look at the bidding. Looks like there’s a ZERO shill bidder involved. Several people just playing games. There will be no payment! But the winner looks legit, based on feedback.

26. Eat Me says:

Looks like Bronko Nagurski with a leather helmet…

27. Bergerfry says:

I guess I need to reread the ebay policy on “raising money” via auctions. I can use the sympathy line to get more bids too. I know of a bunch of underprivileged barflies who need some money for the poker machine.

28. mcw1142 says:

If you have to label the parts of the face to see George Washington’s image it can’t be worth $8100.

29. Count Downs says:

Washington is number one.

Obama is number forty-four — dead last in every way…

30. Chippy55 says:

The birth certificate was manufactured and the Cold Case Posse knows exactly which White House computer created it exactly 20 minutes before the White House uploaded it to the web. The draft card is a fake, and a poor fake. The Liberal media can’t be trusted, just like San Rather who made up a story and was subsequently fired.
    Neither hospital in Hawaii can find a record of Obama being born there. One piece of evidence which would show Obama’s mother getting off a plane is missing. Imagine that, one single microfilm from August 1 to August 7, 1961. How convenient.
    Someone in the White House committed a crime and they will be brought to justice.

1. Niki says:

Um, I don’t want to point out the obvious or anything Chippy but what does any of your delusional rant have to do with the article, which in case you forgot was about a chicken nugget? You are a scared little man aren’t you?

31. Mitchie says:

It looks like President Lincoln with out his trade mark hat

32. fluffychainsaw says:

if you tilt your head sideways, and squint, it looks like a chicken nugget.

33. Gimmeabreak says:

only in america would a person pay 8 grand for one nugget.. GW would be spinning… Hope the fat s.o.b. enjoys his 8 thousand dollar nugget.

34. Dave says:

I have a prune that looks exactly like Nancy Pelosi. . .I bet that’s worth a few bucks

35. Gimmeabreak says:

he could of fed the poor with that money.

36. jose chuey mongurro says:

the virgin marry i think maybe no say

37. Andrew` says:

That’s George Washington attempting to come back and claim the country that is lost!

38. Stop Communism says:

I had a mcnugget recently that looked just like Obama, complete with hammer and sickle.

39. agarguest says:

To me it looks like Michelle Obama ordering common public school kids to work in her garden to grow food that they will not be allowed to eat.

40. Dave says:

I’m going to start checking out my nuggets every day

41. STRAIGHT TALK HAWK says:

That’s nuthin.’ I saw the baby Jesus in my oatmeal once.

42. Ebayer says:

This auction broke several ebay rules. Ebay no longer allows subtitles in the pictures.

43. Change in 2012 says:

Looks more like Homer Simpson to me.

44. Some Guy says:

Over 6 million views, have you seen it yet? Just 10 minutes long and covers a lot, but still doesn’t scratch the surface and needs updated
    Obama Admits He Is A Muslim
    http://www.youtube(insert the dot)com/watch?v=tCAffMSWSzY

45. Reality says:

Everyone is focused on the wrong thing! What you should be focused on is the fact that the Chicken nugget is 3 years old and still looks the same as one made “fresh”. If that doesn’t stop you from eating McDonalds than I don’t know what will.

46. Klaus says:

Rarer still is a McNugget that looks like a piece of chicken.

47. flo says:

WOW…everything i hate about humanity wrapped up in one story!

48. Dave says:

A good rule to live by is “always check your nuggets”

49. Lori Ricciardi says:

We’re doomed.

50. pomoc says:

Now there’s a real DIMWIT

51. BlownfuelCoupe says:

I ate one that looked like Obama, now it looks like aTurd.

52. Mel Shapiro says:

The “nuggets” come frozen. Any semi-artist could easily carve one to resemble anything. Want to make real money? Carve one in the image of your favorite religious icon!

53. elcee says:

How does nobody here realize that this was probably a case of charity. The lady was raising money for a good cause people! It was good fundraising and somebody out there obviously appreciated it.

54. Casey says:

Just think, some family out there is now going to be passing this stupid McNugget down for one generation to the next like it’s a valuable heirloom. Only in America!

55. rawheadrex says:

From what part of the chicken does the nugget come? Or is a nugget just a poultry pastiche fashioned from various finely ground, discarded parts of the bird into a crunchy treat? I know I will not order chicken nuggets again.

56. mk says:

i’m sorry, it looks more like Thomas Jefferson to me.

57. Conner says:

Now, the big question – will the winner pay?

Anyway, as far as saving/buying on eBay goes:

If you send the seller a question about an item, find another of their listings, and send the question from that item page, rather than from the one that you actually want. This will add a little bit of work for the seller, if they want to add the question/answer to the item description page that you are actually interested in.

If you see an item that you want listed in auction format, send the seller a message asking if they will accept $x to end the auction early and sell the item to you. May be telling them that they would not have to wait as long to get their money (they would probably know that, but it still might help). If that does not work, use a sniping service such as Bidball.com to bid for you. It’ll bid in the last few seconds, helping you to save money and avoid shill bidding.

Use a site like Ebuyersedge.com to set up saved searches. You’d get an e-mail whenever a match is listed. Especially good for “Buy It Now”s priced right.

If the item that you are looking for is difficult to spell, try a misspelling search site like Typojoe.com to hopefully find some deals with items that have main keywords misspelled in the title. Other interested buyers might never see them. Then, if the item is listed an auction format, after a few days of no bids (hopefully anyway) send the seller and offer to end the auction early and sell the item to you. They may worry that no one is interested, and take whatever they can get.

58. Ryan says:

You think that’s cool? Check this out. The price is a bit ridiculous, but wow!!

59. Costume jewellery says:

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I to find It really useful & it helped me out much. I’m hoping to give one thing again and aid others such as you helped me.

60. abcdef says:

i have a nugget that looks like alien no joke