Minneapolis Apartment Fire Leaves 32 Homeless

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — It was just after 2 o’clock Friday morning when the shrill sound of smoke alarms pierced the overnight darkness.

Many residents of the Saint George apartment building just blocks south of downtown Minneapolis thought it was a false alarm. That was until the smell of smoke told them otherwise.

Resident Cynthia Hampton used the light of her cell phone to guide her way out. The fire had cut electricity to the building and lights weren’t working.

“It was dark, it was dark so I couldn’t put on a light or find anything or grab anything. Yes it was, it was very scary,” said Hampton.

As firefighters arrived, it quickly became clear that more were needed. The fire grew to three alarms as flames spread through nooks and crannies of the 93-year-old building.

Assistant Fire Chief Cherie Penn said about 45 firefighters were helping to extinguish the flames. Due to the old construction, however, that proved extremely difficult.

“It’s an old building, constructed in 1919 so we’re confident with the type of building it is that it ran into the pipe chases and fed the horizontal and vertical extensions,” said Penn.

Fortunately, all 32 residents of the building got out safely, some escaping with only blankets to keep them warm. Buses gave them temporary shelter as their former home turned into a smoky, blackened ice castle.

The Red Cross and Salvation Army set up an emergency center in a nearby church to help with basic needs of food, clothing and shelter.

For resident Pamela Price, there’s a lot they can’t give back, including the family photos she lost in her third floor apartment. When the roof of the building caved in she knew instantly that all of her belongings were ruined.

Fighting back tears, Price said, “my 16-year-old beauty shots, my father, he just passed in January, and so it’s all just gone.”

Fire investigators say the fire began in a basement utility area. No cause has yet been determined but investigators are giving close scrutiny to the building’s electrical wiring.

More from Bill Hudson
  • Michele

    This is awful. It’s in my daughter’s neighborhood, and I an only think that it could have been her.

    This is all I can say to people: get renter’s insurance. It actually doesn’t cost that much. We pay $15 a month, along with our auto insurance.

    All it takes is one cigarette, one faulty wire. We moved into an apartment complex eight months ago, and we’ve already had a fire down the hall. You can’t control your neighbors, or how the place was built.

    Just please, please, please consider it. I don’t want to think about anybody being homeless.

  • Rae

    I used to live in this building and had a lot of really nice memories from living in Stevens. I really feel horrible for everyone involved, I wish I could give back their precious belongings, but all I can do is see if there’s something else I can contribute to help the folks who lost their homes. I hope any pets inside came out safely too.

  • http://twincitiesfirewire.com/2012/03/09/massive-blaze-guts-minneapolis-apartment-building/ Massive Blaze Guts Minneapolis Apartment Building | Twin Cities Fire Wire

    […] Minneapolis Apartment Fire Leaves 32 Homeless Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo […]

  • Sharon

    What a blessing that everyone lived through this! Kudos to all the calm heads and to the fire and rescue people!

  • http://firesystemcontrol.com/?p=2270 Two-alarm fire guts apartment developing near UC Berkeley Fire Alarm System Wiring | fire control system

    […] just blocks south of downtown Minneapolis thought it was a false … Study a lot more on CBS Regional Author: admin Time: Saturday, March 10th, 2012 at 3:16 pm Category: Fire Systems Comments: […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Thursday Night Football

Listen Live