Wis. Officials: Dems Can Force Senate Recalls
Get Breaking News First
Today's Most Popular Video
- Dancin' Grandpa Turns Down For Nothing During '50s Medley
- 4 Things To Know For July 23, 2014
- Top Mpls. Chefs To Pair Dishes With City's Finest Craft Brews
- Recall On Some Fruit Sold At Costco, Trader Joe’s, Sam’s
- <a href="http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/10395857-video/"The Lowdown: EPA Tweets About Kim Kardashian
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin election officials say Democrats have turned in enough valid signatures to force four Republican state senators into recall elections.
A memo Government Accountability Board staff released Friday concludes recall organizers have gathered thousands more valid signatures than they needed to force Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald and Sens. Van Wanggaard, Terry Moulton and Pam Galloway into elections.
The senators had challenged thousands of signatures, but after GAB staff reviewed the names they ultimately didn’t find enough problem signatures to block the elections.
Democrats are trying to oust the senators and Republican Gov. Scott Walker and Republican Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch from office as revenge for passing a contentious law that stripped most public workers of nearly all their union rights.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)