’30 Days of Biking’ Aims To Spread Cycling Love

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minneapolis and St. Paul already have a vibrant bicycling community, but a group of cycling enthusiasts is determined to bring more non-bikers into the fold.

They call their effort “30 Days of Biking.” The idea is to get people to ride their bikes on each of the 30 days in April.

Spokesman Kurt Stafki says non-cyclists who try it can be inspired to adopt more active lifestyles.

This is the third year the group has done it. They say they signed up more than 500 people in 2010 and more than 2,000 last year.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Just a Workingperson says:

I have a JOB and have worked hard so I don;t need to ride a bike to my job at burger flipper dish washer dot com.

1. Richard in Minneapolis says:

And I worked even harder to find an apartment close to my job so I could rid of my car and about $300/month on commuting costs, $250 month in car payments and about $150/month in car insurance. That’s $700/month for a piece of iron I would use only occasionally. On a pretax basis that works out to over $1,000 per month additional money in my pocket.

And I don’t flip burgers. I am a well credentialed financial manager who knows how to spot value.

2. Uncle Rico says:

@workingidiot- You probably do have a “JOB,” as opposed to a career. If you worked harder you may have been able to land one of those, but that would require critical thought, which you clearly lack. Keep riding in your car and eating megafarm McDonalds 3times a day with cigs for desert.

1. Lucas says:

Are you really so daft to think a person who bikes everywhere would also be eating McDonalds for every meal?

1. Lucas says:

Oh wait, never mind. I’m the dumb one!

2. Ace says:

I don’t want to ride a bike and I don’t want to pay for bike enthusiasts’ hobbies. I wish they would just go away or at least quit wearing spandex and while I’m at it, why don’t they obey the traffic laws. As a pedestrian I have had problems with them not giving audible warnings and not respecting my right of way in an intersection. Some of them are OK but those “it’s all about me” bikers are who give all bikers a bad name.

1. Uncle Rico says:

would you really rather they were in cars?

3. Greg says:

Biking is a good thing for the cities. I have a car but usually bike to work most days – to my job (and it is a good one). The reason the government is increasingly encouraging cycling is not to support the hobbies of a few; it saves a lot of money in transportation infrastructure. The average motorist who drives to work daily costs the government about $3000 in extra subsidies beyond the gas taxes that motorists incorrectly assume cover road costs. If you were to cycle everyday to work, the government saves about $300 (cyclists pay in more than they take out). Cycling infrastructure simply costs far less than that for cars. If you were designing a transportation from scratch, there is no way you’d design what we have now – highway systems to for individually-operated vehicles that usually run 80% empty and carry no cargo. However, challenging neophytes to ride a bike everyday for 30 days seems a bit lofty of a goal for this thing. I think, first, I’d just encourage people to ride a bike one day/week or one day/week for a month or something. If you really want to get people to try something new, you really don’t want a high cost to entry. Unfortunately, one downside of a lot of these cyclist efforts types is that it borders almost on religion and an associated lifestyle…so, there is a bit of an air of seeking 100% religious converts and, sometimes, a bit of a piety contest between the devout. That can be aversive. It is a bicycle, not a religion, and like a car…you can have/use a car without having the car be the center of your life.

4. Jim Tomczak says:

Ace, I really know what your talking about. These so self importent people who have no reguard for anyone else but theyself’s lay it on everyone else. They can not even have the common courtesy that they are passing you on the bike paths. I found it rather funny that they acctually had to put up signs to inform people to do this on East River Road.

1. My car is bigger than yours says:

I understand, too.

Plus, motorists should receive commendations for how well they obey the law at all times. The undivided attention they give to the road and their fellow drivers makes me wonder why anyone would want to do anything but drive. I also have a lot of respect for those professional racers on the road that can handle their car while going upwards of 50mph over the posted speed limit.

I also agree with you that we should evaluate and stereotype all bikers using the ones we dislike most as the example. This is the most logical and level-headed way to handle all things.

Oh, and I also think that supporting other people in their strive to better themselves and try to enjoy life a bit more from day to day is a bunch of junk. If people don’t think like me and don’t agree with me, they obviously shouldn’t even be spouting off about how they feel. I am superior in every way.

5. RU Kidding says:

I was thinking of becoming an avid biker but was on the fence.

Thanks to this group, I have left my wife and kids, quit my job and will now bike 24×7.

1. Uncle Rico says:

Your “wife and kids” and company are probably begging for you to leave them.