Billboard Campaign Seeks To Find Toddler’s Killer
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A new effort is underway to get leads in the shooting death of a 3-year-old North Minneapolis boy.
Terrell Mayes Jr. died after a bullet broke through a wall in his home and hit him the head last December. At the time he was shot, Mayes and his brother were running upstairs to hide after hearing gunshots.
The Minneapolis Police Department and Clear Channel Radio announced a billboard campaign Thursday.
Terrell’s mother, Marsha, says she’s thankful for the billboards, but the pain of losing her son is still raw.
“I’m happy that the billboards are up, and maybe it’s going to lead into something…for me and my husband and my kids,” she said. “The only thing about the billboards is: I’m not going to be able to drive past them. I can’t bear to look at my own child up on a billboard. I feel like he should be home with me.”
Five new Crimestoppers boards will be placed around North Minneapolis. Police say since the first one went up earlier this week, they have already received tip calls.