Motorcyclist Injured After Losing Control, Sliding Into Guardrail

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A 60-year-old Forest Lake motorcyclist lost control of his bike Friday and crashed into a guardrail in Wisconsin, authorities said.

The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department said Kenneth Schwintek was negotiating a sharp curve near Trimbelle Township around 2:20 p.m. when his motorcycle ran over loose sand and caused him to lose control. The motorcycle fell over and then slid into the guardrail.

An ambulance brought Schwintek to Regions Hospital. He suffered undetermined injuries, authorities said.

Comments

1. Cheers says:

The freedom of a bike is incredible …. own 2 myself
    That said I am 61 and realizing maybe I need to slow down as my skills are not quite the same. Maybe even a smaller bike or ….
    46 years of riding and dread the thought it may be coming to an end

1. dan says:

You’re still a young man. Keep riding. I don’t kneed to tell you but you have to ride like everyone is out to kill you. Just got my Valkyrie out yesterday, wrenched on her a little and went for a ride. Nothing like it. Keep riding.

2. hunnybear18 says:

That sand if unforgiving and humbling no matter what your age is. And for the record, I know of a lady in her 80’s who saddles up and rides solo to Colorado every year. It’s a state of mind.🙂

3. what?!? says:

I have a couple bikes my self and this will make my 20th season – With almost 50 years of riding, man you got nothing to worry about!. just keep doing what you are doing and RIDE ON BROTHER!

2. babybluebiker says:

To all baby boomers who are buying motorcycles after year of not riding, please take the time to take the motorcycle rider safety course. Very inexpensive and well worth it. Took the beginner course once, and experienced rider course twice. I am a former member of the Minnesota Motorcycle Safety Advisory Committee.

1. dan says:

Very good advice. I took one when I was 16 (47 now) and I still remember the defensive riding tips.

3. Crazy Joe says:

I have been riding since 1974 and still ride all the time. I’m 56 and I never let my guard down, don’t try to keep up with the younger crowd, you have way more experience than them. Ride as if there is sand in every corner, be safe.

1. babybluebiker says:

Great advice!

2. babybluebiker says:

Been riding for 20 plus years. Don’t want to keep up. Be safe too Crazy Joe.

4. jackactionhero says:

As the saying goes, if you’re a motorcycle rider- you’ve either put your bike down, or you’re going to.