1 Dies After Motorcycle Vs. Pickup Accident

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A Wisconsin woman died after a motorcycle and a pickup truck collided Saturday night.

The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department said the accident occurred around 8:11 p.m. on Saturday, on 650th Street, just north of County Highway J in Martell Township.

A pickup truck, operated by 54-year-old George Budd (pictured above) attempted to make a turn into a private driveway in the path of a motorcycle, according to officials.

The motorcycle crashed with the pickup and ejected the driver and passenger. The driver is identified as 48-year-old Glen Nelson, of Hammond, Wis., and his passenger as 47-year-old Julie Nelson, also of Hammond.

Both were wearing helmets and were transported to Region’s Hospital with unknown injuries.

Julie Nelson died in the early hours of Sunday morning, authorities said.

Budd was not injured in the crash.

The accident remains under investigation.

Comments

1. Tammy Gorka says:

People need to open there eyes and start seeing motorcyclist, they said that a study showed the riders are the ones who cause most of the crashes I think not its people not paying attention to us out there on bikes OPEN YOU EYES!!!!

1. Dee says:

Where does it say that a study showed the riders are the ones who cause most of the crashes? It clearly says that it was the pickup driver’s fault as “he attempted to make a turn into a private driveway in the path of a motorcycle.”
      I just had a motorcyclist cut in front of me yesterday on Highway 100 northbound. He was trying to get out of his lane that just slowed down on him. He came out of nowhere into my lane, and I had to slam on my brakes. Sorry, I see more daredevils on motorcycles than careful riders. Don’t expect me to “see you” when you darted out of a line of traffic. Maybe you people need to start “Seeing vehicles”.

1. Dave says:

Dee. I agree with you about daredevils on motorcycles. Im a motorcycle rider and you have to be a defensive rider out on the roads. There are courses for that increase your riding skills . The motorcycle that cut in front of you yesterday is a complete idiot. I as a motorcycle rider dont have the time of day for these type of riders. Those type of people who ride like maniacs give us bad name. I also read a article a few days ago that stated that riders cause most crashes. I beleive Tammy was commenting on the article she also read.

1. Matt says:

Problem is there are more and more “daredevils” on the road Motorcyclists have been watching too many movies and think they own the road.

1. David says:

I ride a crotch rocket. The only difference is I’m an adult and these kids get these powerful bikes and think they are toys and cars are expected to see them. Dave is completely right they give us a bad name with their carlessness. I always tell my biddies to get respect you have to earn it. I’ll say sorry for the idiot riders but for the rest of us all I ask is that you always look before you do anything because we aren’t seen a whole hell of alot.

1. ABATE says:

A full 54% of all motorcyclists killed or injured in 2010 were to people aged 40 and over. DAMN those kids! Seriously though, Carless riders make us look bad but adults that go out and buy a bike thinking they don’t need training are the bigger problem.

2. Ignorance is bliss says:

Amazing. For all of you that have bashed motorcycle riders or drivers in a four wheeled vehicle have a family member who has been hit by a drunk driver in a large Chevy pick up truck that was hit so hard it flipped seven times, you won’t be writing these comments about starting to see motorcycles. You will be writing about how unfair it is to Julie, Glen and those two boys that a drunk driver was release an hour and half after he was arrested to go home to his family. He will get a slap on the wrist for this. It doesn’t matter what you are driving, drunk driving is the issue here and the lose of a mom and wife. Julie will never see those boys play in all of their sporting events or graduate with honors. Next time you feel the need to criticize someone find out all the facts as I pray these boys never read your comments. They are a great family with the biggest hearts. I guess in all of your worlds–ignorance is bliss.

1. tan pup says:

I’m so glad you wrote this: I know one of the kids, and this is so hartbreaking – and how it has affected these boys classmates and teachers. HOW DARE ANY OF YOU PEOPLE complaining about bikers – make a comment. This is about a DRUNK who hit this couple. He could have waited one more second and these kids would have their parents home with them.

2. Bill Clintons Cigar says:

Thats what happens when you ride……if you ride you will go down…..matter of time….buck up….wrench the ride…..and ride…….

1. Dave says:

Your a zippy the pin head type of person .HAHAHA..

3. Dave says:

I could not agree with you more. I see more people running a right turn on red light way to much .. Our police departments need to crack down on this type of behavior. As far as riders causing most accidents I think not..

4. Elwood says:

I think they may have been injured in the crash not “after” the crash…..

5. Linda Lovelace says:

I’m not swallowing either side as if you drive you know full well it plays both ways.
    I also bet in the country it’s more often the 4 wheels at fault and in the city those on 2. City makes riders stupid IMO and they take chances. In the country people look at the scenary and lose focus in cars/trucks was to often.
    There – my argument and I am sticking to it. Not planning on swallowing yours unless it’s a good one. lol

6. William says:

As someone who has ridden since 1974, I see more and more inexperienced motorcycle riders on the road. You know, you see them. the wanna bees with their black HD T-shirts and new ‘chaps’. II expect the crashes and death rate will increase.

1. Berger says:

Why are they wanna bees, exactly? do you mean an exprienced motorcylclist? then yes, wanna bees would be correct. You said you started riding in 1974. I bet someone said that about you who had been riding since 1945. Everyone has to start some time and starting something means they are inexperienced…How else do you gain experience but by doing!

7. Hudson-WI says:

The driver of the VEHICLE in this accident was arrested for driving while intoxicated… let’s stop placing blame on the bike riders and focus on the fact that drinking and driving is deadly. Two young boys will now grow up without their beautiful, loving mother. Please say prayers that their dad survives his injuries. He is still in critical condition.

1. Ann says:

Couldn’t agree with you more. It sickens me reading some of the above comments. Some people just shouldn’t open their mouths.

1. Nancy says:

I agree with Hudson too. They don’t even know the people and are placing blame on them. It’s aweful.

1. Matt says:

People aren’t blaming the motorcycle rider in this story. In general it is careless motorcyclists. Clearly it was the driver of the truck this time.

1. tan pup says:

TOTALLY! Not to mention the driver of the truck was DRUNK!

2. Corey says:

A bullet waiting for each drunk driver will eventually end the problem all together.

1. Uncle Rico says:

never gonna happen, people just wouldn’t drink then and the gov needs the money.

3. Hammond-WI says:

Amen. Praying for this family. How tragic!!

8. Phil Narveson says:

But really, did Budd’s mom ever tell him to “Look both ways before you cross the street”?

9. Ann says:

Obviously, this crash has nothing to do with inexperience on a bike. The driver of the truck was CLEARLY at fault. A woman tragically lost her life in this crash. Have a little compassion and take the reckless motorcycle drivers conversation elsewhere. It doesn’t apply here. Thanks

10. Nancy says:

FYI–this woman was a friend of mine and a classmate of mine. We lost a wonderful person who who always had a smile on her face and could brighten any day. Blaming them for something that you have no idea of what happened and how it happened becaus you were not there is appalling and insensitive. Try a little compassion as this time. This is just aweful.

11. gss says:

The world and 2 little boys have lost someone very special. Our hearts go out to the nelson family , pray for all they will need it for years to come

12. KM says:

Am so very sorry to hear of the loss of Julie. I do not know her, but am a rider. I pray God will comfort this family and heal Glen quickly.

13. Billy says:

Im a pro, when i ride it, i ride it like i stole it.

I think if people would just pay more attention, things like this would not happen.
    I dont believe in accidents but i do believe in stupidity and people not paying attention.

1. Billy says:

…another thing, if wearing a helmet is soo safe then why didn’t it save the passenger.

I ride a motorcycle and don’t wear a helmet, helmets are unsafe when riding, heavy, uncomfortable and block your side vision. If you we are a full helmet it can easly fog up..

I think most motorcycle accidents happen when people are wearing helmets. I wish they would do a study on that.

1. steve says:

give me a break!!!

2. Brett says:

You have a definite point there, Billy. I was once rear-ended at a stoplight, was not wearing a helmet. I was thrown from my bike, I was later told by a DOCTOR that if I had had a helmet on, I would have suffered a severe WHIPLASH injury. I did not suffer such an injury, or any other head injury (luckily) because I didn’t have the ADDED WEIGHT of a HELMET on my HEAD, which my neck and it’s associated muscles could not adequately and immediately SUPPORT. I do admit that my case was somewhat unusual, but not TOTALLY beyond imagination.

1. rich says:

My wife works with many head injury patients , mostly ones from motorcycle accidents, who didn’t have a helmet on – never has any of them said to her ” I ‘m glad I wasn’t wearing a helmet”. The ones who wore their helmets – she does’t see them, they already got out of the hospital.

14. Nancy says:

What this article failed to mention is that the driver was intoxicated and arrested. Later released.

1. Brett says:

PLEASE provide the link.

15. Dave says:

Fact: the most encompassing study performed on motorcycle accidents, The Hurt Study, concluded that persons wearing helmets are under represented in the death figures while persons not wearing helmets are over represented. In other words, helmets reduce head trauma but cannot eliminate it. Nor can a helmet (or any safety device) eliminate the risk of death.

So yes, someone has done a study regarding helmet use and accidents. Your assertion is wrong, helmets do not cause accidents.

1. David says:

I asked my buddy who works in the ER which style of rider has more deaths guys with helmets or guys without. He said guys without die more. It’s jus a fact. It’s just like seat belts. Mostly they save lives. But someimes they hold you in place so when you get T-boned you get squished instead of thrown across the car. Safety equipment doesn’t prevent death it just helps protect lessens the chance of it.

16. Brett says:

Well, so much for helmets saving lives, instead of COMMON SENSE, but I guess that you just can’t ever legislate that into law. Take a good look at this guy. Does he look like Bill Gates? How about some background investigation on his driving history? I’ll bet it involves more than a couple of speeding tickets.

17. ABATE says:

2010 crash report: of the 826 multi vehicle crashes involving a motorcycle – failure to yield 38.6% by the auto 9.2% by the bike – distracted driver 22.4% by auto 20.2 caused by bike. Play nice out there and watch out for each other, fact is there are knuckleheads on both sides.

18. LL says:

He was intoxicated. Arrested and then released for driving while intoxicated.

He pulled in front of them because he was drunk.

it is illegal to drive drunk.

19. LL says:

I want to know what his past driving record is.
    Just a wild guess, he has probably had previous issues with driving while intoxicated.