Minn. Senate GOP Eyes $102M In Tax Cuts

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota Senate Republicans are pressing to get rid of a business property tax by the middle of next decade and give scattered tax breaks to married couples, military veterans and investors.

The tax plan outlined Wednesday would dish out $102 million in tax cuts next year and a growing amount in years to come. To pay for that, Sen. Julianne Ortman’s bill depends on money from state government cuts, drawing off the state budget reserve and greater tax compliance efforts.

The signature item is a gradual phaseout of a statewide business property tax. The goal is to eliminate it by 2026. Ortman argues it would improve Minnesota’s business climate and therefore make it easier for companies to hire more people. The bill also contains tax relief for married couples.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

1. Swen says:

So, I own a rainbow painting business and am hoping to marry my partner when you wonderful folks pass that little stickler. Sounds to me like I’m getting a big payday. Kisses to all of you.

1. mark says:

I just puked in my mouth a little.

2. Joe TaxPayer says:

“would dish out $102 million in tax cuts ”

“Dish out?” What bias.

If I chose to rob you of $90 instead of $100, did I “dish out” $10 to you?

3. not quite says:

No kidding, as though it is the government’s money and they are allowing us to keep it. Given half of the country pays no federal income taxes, what percentage of MN’s residents also pay no state income taxes?

1. Pat says:

So you say that business doesn’t get any benfit from government? So you say? Who put in your roads, sewers, and other infrastructure? Who keeps them open and running throughout the year? Why should citizens who work for a wage subsidize businssmen who survive on “investment” income? Why are we taking away renters credit to give to the wealthy? Republican cronyism!

1. Einer says:

Look up “Straw-man argument.” That is what you are engaging in. No one is interested.

2. taxed says:

I don’t know about you, but I pay my taxes to the TOP 1%.

1. What? says:

They’re plan is to steal from Grandma and the most vulnerable and “dish it” to the corporates. Republicanism.

1. not quite says:

Grandma holds the wealth not that it matters and I don’t care one bit about the most vulnerable/biggest slackers. The true vulnerables should have charity to fall back on not forced government charity.

4. Amy K. says:

More of the same republican bullshat. No realistic plan, again……..

5. Pat says:

They cut medical aide to the poor but give business a tax cut? They are paying for the cut out of budget reserves? Get these people out of office……please!

1. not quite says:

Pat the poor ,in Minnesota especially, is translated to the lazy and capable but don’t want to put forth effort. Cut the medical aid, force these lazy, freeloaders onto their feet and to be accountable.

6. Masturbating Liberal says:

Oh I am so angry! I am prancing down to the capital right now! And when I find these bullies I am going to “toss” my special white glitter all over them! That will teach them to give everyone one want they want and what they deserve! Their lucky I am not putting on my pink pride outfit too! It gives me man like powers that they would not soon forget!

7. Jason says:

More interested in other items like right to work/ voter id bills myself.