Lottery Fever As Jackpot Balloons Beyond $500M

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Like a snowball barreling downhill, the Mega Millions Lottery continues to grow. By Wednesday afternoon, it had surpassing the $500 million mark.

Minnesota is one of 44 states where one can buy a ticket or tickets. Lottery Director Ed van Patten told WCCO sales are on the rise, especially here in the Twin Cities.

“If they take the cash option, it would be reduced by 30 to 32 percent, so we’re looking at close to $400 million dollars in hand if the lottery were today,” said van Patten, who added he is sure sales and the odds will rise steadily before Friday.

The odds of winning the massive jackpot are 1 in 176 million, and van Patten says office pools of between 15 and 20 people are quite popular, given those odds and the amount of cash at stake.

“The most active sales are here in the Twin Cities, and very popular are the office pools of between 10 and 30 workers. There is the belief that that lowers the odds, by allowing more tickets to be sold to one group,” he says.

The drawing is Friday at 10 p.m.

Comments

1. Death says:

Times like these, anyone who’s got a buck will be buying a ticket.

2. Insert Here says:

Now come all the clowns that will cry it’s just a tax on the poor, who couldn’t possible comprehend the impossible odds to win….

Blah Blah Blah

Pick me!!

3. RACHEL BROCKTON says:

WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THE MONEY? I WOULD BUILT A NEW ANIMAL SHELTER HERE IN BEMIDJI. NEXT I WOULD BUY A LARGE PIECE OF LAND. TO BUILT MY RESCUE SHELTER FOR ALL DOGS & CATS. SO THEY WILL NOT BE MURDERED..

1. James says:

it’s not murder, it’s animal control, nuke ’em all

2. Matt says:

may I suggest buying a keyboard with a key that turns off caps lock?

1. Ha ha ha says:

And a grammar checker. You can’t ‘built’ something, but you could buy an education.

4. Sandra Miller says:

i would Pay off all of my family’s debts and homes and buy my son one..put up a trust fund for my grandchildren.pay off my home..and put 1 million in retirement account and then give the rest to homeless shelters and food shelves.

5. Bill says:

If I win, I would sue them for false advertising.

If they say it’s a 500 million jackpot, you should get 500 million if you win.

1. James says: