Rep. Kriesel: Minnesotans Can Handle Bottle Rockets

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — The sponsor of a bill that would legalize fireworks in Minnesota beyond handheld sparklers and ground-based worms says Minnesotan’s are responsible enough to handle it.

John Kriesel, an Iraq war veteran and the republican lawmaker from Cottage Grove, defended his drive to legalize the dazzling surface-to-air bottle rockets that are currently illegal in Minnesota.

“The fireworks industry has seen a 920 percent increase in consumption since 1976. And during the same period, a 90 percent decline in fireworks related injuries,” Kriesel told WCCO Radio’s John Hines Tuesday morning.

Kriesel also argued against the idea that injuries will rise if fireworks are made legal because, he says, “Minnesotans are using them already.”

Kriesel’s bill still faces an uphill battle with most first responders and medical professionals opposing the measure.

Comments

1. Brett says:

Rep. Kriesel, with all due respect….. Have you lost your mind??

I think that you suffered far more serious injuries during your days in combat than you are willing to admit. and I think that because of some of those injuries, you may not be “fit” anymore to make sound decisions for the REST OF US. I hate to say it, but it could be true.

1. jackactionhero says:

With no due respect, have you?

You’re suggesting bottle rockets are really dangerous? How so?

1. Paul says:

Put them in the hands of a child who thinks it would be funner to shoot them at a friend then in the air, and you’ll see how dangerous they can be.

1. Dave says:

Okay Dale you can have your toys.

2. whatdoesWIallow? says:

Do you think they would allow a minor to legally use these?

wow

3. jackactionhero says:

Paul, I suggest you DON’T put them in the hands of children. Are you mentally challenged?
          How in the world do any kids in SD or WI have any fingers or eyes left, right?

4. Kimo D says:

Your right, this is what we give our kids…..does the term parenting mean anything anymore? oh wait…we just have the kids it’s up to everyone else to raise them…

1. Bill says:

Here Here I am a responsible parent, I know I can do a better job then someone else

5. hunnybear18 says:

If you’re that worthless of a parent that you can’t say no to your kid if they’re not responsible enough for bottle rockets, you have bigger problems than the threat of bottle rockets.

6. Robert says:

@ Dale, Brett is a CONservative

2. Rockets Red Glare says:

Even in the hand of an adult, who acts like a child, or is intoxicated, they can be dangerous.
      There was a video aired on tv recently showing young adults launching rockets from their buttocks.

1. jackactionhero says:

So Rep John Kriesel is stating that Minnesotans can handle bottle rockets just as well as Wisconsinites or South Dakotans, but you’re saying they can’t? Is that accurate? Is it true that Minnesotans are dumber than their neighbors and can’t take care of themselves?

1. Rockets Red Glare says:

Minnesotan’s are smart enough to know we don’t need them.
          It’s the GOPees way of wasting taxpayer money, and avoiding the real problems facing our state.

1. jackactionhero says:

Let’s make something clear. You do not speak for me or anybody else.

This is a way for Minnesota and Minnesotans to MAKE money. Why are Minnesotans dumber than SD or WI residents? Why are they too incompetent to handle little bottle rockets?

1. Rockets Red Glare says:

Ask yourself, Why was the law passed to begin with? Thanks to the GOPee here we are waisting time, and money reinventing the wheel again.
              Is making money more important than saving a child’s eye, or preventing a house, or business from catching fire?

1. jackactionhero says:

Where are you reading about house and business fires and children’s eyes coming out in Wisconsin or South Dakota?

How is it I’ve used these things for 25 or 30 years and never encountered any situations like what you’re claiming?

2. pumphandle says:

Were they injured? No they wern’t so shut the f%ck up

3. Jimbo says:

LOL so in your world people will be inserting bottle rockets into their anuses, you need to get your head out of yours before you can do that, you mentally challenged fools make me laugh.

4. Greg Looseanus says:

I can shoot them like that no problem.

5. conservative says:

Is it really the governments job to dictate to us what we can and can’t do?? How about a little personal responsibility? We don’t need cradle to grave government control. If the young adults launch bottle rockets from their butt, that is THEIR problem and THEIR decision!

2. Fredrick says:

Kriesel will you be paying out of your pocket, for this poor piece of legislation, that will call for increased hospital emergencies. Or are you going to do what you do best play dumb, OMG how could the people of MN elect such fools!!!!

1. Well then says:

He is the only politician I’ve heard from that gives adults credit for being able to be adults. You really expect a run on hospital expenses to the state cause people can have bottle rockets? Put your helmet on and get back in the house before you end hurting yourself out in the real world.

2. jackactionhero says:

You still haven’t demonstrated that Minnesotans will kill themselves with bottle rockets. Do you think Minnesotans don’t currently use bottle rockets?

Talk about playing dumb, except in your case I don’t think it’s an act…

3. Jimbo says:

Do not fear we will have Obama care, lol what fools.

3. Fred says:

Who cares if fireworks related injuries rise, everyone will have free health insurance soon anyways! God bless Obama!! *sarcasm*

1. jackactionhero says:

Why would fireworks related injuries rise? You don’t think there are people using bottle rockets in MN yet? They’re all waiting with anticipation for the bill to be passed into law?

LOL!

Fred, who reads these articles to you?

4. Well then says:

I would be more worried about fires than injuries.
    Brett, believe it or not but not all adults need to live in a sheltered little bubble, wearing blaze orange and a helmet.

5. mwallek says:

What a waste of time. Are we paying this guy? We don’t need to legalize more and bigger fireworks. We can, as we alwys do, drive to Wisconsin and bring them back.

1. jackactionhero says:

False. Why would you think that is legal?

1. Rudy says:

Because we all do and the cops in rural areas (especially at my lake) not only look the other way, they don’t bother to look at all. Making an educated guess, half of my cabin cohorts make a run to WI, load up on the BOGO deals and we all shoot them off in sync. I’m not talking bottle rockets. I’m talking big box style, close to pro versions. Never once heard of or have seen a fire or injury.

1. pumphandle says:

Lol Wisconsin fireworks being close to pro versions, try heading to Missouri or somewhere that sells class C, Wisconsin has only class B, I lit a few class C’s off in Isanti and was fined $200.

2. jackactionhero says:

My point being, if it’s illegal and all the Mud Ducks are loading their trucks up with WI fireworks and heading to the cabin, why not make them legal for MN vendors to sell to Minnesotans?

1. Rudy says:

Please Jack. Don’t think of me as a mud duck. And, you still owe me a beer.

6. G Dog says:

Now THERE’s a big job creator!! Thanks GOP!!

1. Dave says:

Even while losing the culture battle, they’re still passing worthless bills in hopes of looking “cool” in the eyes of their mentally challenged voting block. It’s fascinating to watch!

1. jackactionhero says:

This has nothing to do with the GOP. Kriesel is a common sense guy. I don’t find this bill worthless at all.

1. Rockets Red Glare says:

Obviously Kriesel has no common sense. Myself, and my family were terrorized by a group of intoxicated adult men on a fishing trip shooting off fireworks, including bottle rockets at a campground. Rockets landing on tents at 1:00 am in the morning.

1. morgan says:

Terrorized.

1. Rockets Red Glare says:

Yes terrorized, I went out fishing the next morning and when I returned my wife was hysterical, in tears. One of them had a hatchet that he had been throwing at a tree while threatening to come after me when I returned.

1. Susie says:

Ummm…what’s that have to do with bottle rockets?

1. Rockets Red Glare says:

He was upset when I told him what he could do with his bottle rocket.

2. Jimbo says:

Wow you must be such a puss RRG

3. jackactionhero says:

Your wife needs psychiatric help and your story is total BS. Not only that but you STILL haven’t demonstrated that bottle rockets are dangerous.

2. jackactionhero says:

So no Minnesotans should be legally allowed to have them because some idiots used them in a way you disapprove of? Is that accurate?

Why didn’t you go over there and say something to them?

So John Kriesel has no common sense because some people goofed around? Really?

Were you in Minnesota?

The only thing “obvious” here is that you can’t take care of yourself and don’t want others to be able to either.

3. jackactionhero says:

So the problem was intoxicated men… Why are you concentrating on the bottle rockets?

4. Susie says:

Learn the proper use of the word myself.

5. SGTJohn says:

Gosh, good thing a squirrel didn’t attack or something else scary. Did you call 911?

7. Dude says:

So the firework season will now begin in March and end in November? Great. Thanks for considering the quality of life expectations of the other millions of Minnesotans, i.e., THE MAJORITY who don’t partake.

1. jackactionhero says:

What? Is this really what you got out of that article? Seriously?

1. Mack says:

Pretty much all your post are in the form of a question

That is quite odd.

1. jackactionhero says:

I am asking for clarification on positions that I find absolutely absurd and pointless.

Do you also think Minnesotans can’t handle a firecracker on a stick, but people in other states can?

1. Mack says:

Personally, I find this all a waste of money – all firecrackers in general. I hate hearing them all summer long, I hate picking up bottle rockets in my yard, next my car because some stupid fool goes to WI and blows his money on this form of entertainment.

As for the injury part….My uncle is blind in one eye because HE as a lifelong Minnesotan ….couldn’t handle a firecracker on a stick.

1. jackactionhero says:

I don’t spend money on fireworks myself, because I’d rather get some new fishing lures or camo clothes for the Fall than spend my money on that stuff.

Someone should have told your uncle not to look so closely at the dangerous end after they’re lit. Reminds me of watching Elmer Fudd look down the barrel of his own shotgun…

1. Mack says:

At least I was spot on about how you think/act by your comments.

because only a jackcough…..would make a rude and horrible comment like that!

2. conservative says:

Because you find it a waste of money, others shouldn’t be allowed to spend their money on fireworks? If you don’t like hearing them, then put in ear plugs or turn your tv up a little. Everyone’s life should not have to revolve around what you want.

2. Dude says:

To clarify. I’ll just continue to call the cops for noise violations and/or disturbing the peace.

3. Rockets Red Glare says:

If there were an award handed out for absurd, and pointless, you would win hands down.

1. Dude says:

Well, you can test that theory if you wish, that’s your own decision.

2. jackactionhero says:

At least I can defend my family… You sound like the biggest wuss to ever pull on a pair of pants.

4. Rockets Red Glare says:

There is a simple solution to your problem jackactionbozo, move to another state.

1. jackactionhero says:

I live in Wisconsin, where we all have 10 fingers, 2 eyes, and unburned homes and businesses. Oh and we also have fireworks. Have a fun and safe 4th of July.

1. desert eagle .50 says:

Well Corporal Colostomy let’s hope you stay there.

And why aren’t you ever specific?

8. Wake Up says:

Not to worry Dems – Governor Googlie Eye, being scared shtless of most anything will veto the bill.

9. Drew says:

How many of the folks who oppose relaxing fireworks standards because the people are fools who can’t be trusted on the one hand, are on the other hand also the same ones who every November rally for everyone to get out the vote? Aren’t they still the same fools who can’t be trusted?

1. TW says:

This just is so true, you sir are a rational thinker.

2. jackactionhero says:

Are you admitting that you aren’t as smart as someone from South Dakota or Wisconsin who manage to have not just bottle rockets, but all kinds of fireworks, yet their children don’t all have 1 eye and 7 fingers? I think that’s sad that you admit that so openly.

1. Drew says:

I think you misinterpreted my post, the point of which was that those who say everyone should get out and have their vote counted are hypocrites for thinking those same folks cannot be trusted with fireworks. Have a nice day!

3. SGTJohn says:

Well said.

10. Susie says:

you can say that about almost every item found in your house if its not used for the proper purpose…uh oh, kids might think it’s more fun to staple a finger than paper…geez

11. Kimo D says:

WOW! listen to all the haters out there. OMG!! not a bottle rocket and God forbid a firecracker!! what will we do?? who will protect us from the noise of these products????? We the people in MN are too stupid to use these products safely and our adult children over 18 have not been taught how to properly use a lighter or a match…oh noooooo think of all the fires were going to start. Please somebody keep our freedoms locked up we don’t need or want them here!
    What a bunch of cry babies you people are! Here’s something more for you people to be afraid of, our Govenor said he will sign the bill if it’s gets to his desk! you better run and hide haters things are going to change! Keep up the great work Rep. Kriesel! So the Majority of people in this state are against freedoms, voter ID’S, and fireworks. Good Luck.

12. jackactionhero says:

Some of you feel justified in telling us all that we can’t eat a steak because babies can’t chew it. What a bunch of malarkey…

1. desert eagle .50 says:

Bottle rockets can be very dangerous, especially where you, Dr DRE, are most likely to put them. That is, if you can get your finger out of the way.

Can we watch?

What if you set your double wide on fire?

As usual, please be specific.

13. TW says:

Way to go Rep. Kriesel!!! The use of them is hardly an issue already except someone has to make a run out to WI or SD. Those who are scared will continue to leave them alone. You might even see some more seasonal retail jobs come with it over and above the sparkler stands that get moved in the last week of June. If fireworks are the major threat to public health then goodness sakes the end of the world is nigh.

14. SGTJohn says:

Last year I stopped at a roadside fireworks stand across the border in south dakota. The elderly couple that ran the place asked if I knew anyone who wanted to buy the stand. I asked them how much they took home from their business each summer, and they stated their PROFIT averaged about $80,000 for the past few years. Now, how much in tax dollars are being generated for wisconsin and the dakotas from sales to Minnesotans? It would be nice to keep it all in the state.

15. kaboom says:

I love living on the border. Every year I drive ten miles and buy a big box of goodies. Nothing more American than a holiday celebrated with explosives. Gotta love SD, the last free state in the union.

16. randy says:

I have enough noise to deal with in this neighborhood now. Whatever happened to the law of DISTURBING THE PEACE??.Which is exactly what teenage kids will be doing with bottle rockets and firecrackers into all hours of the night.

People still have to wake up early in the morning and be to work the day after the 4th. I don’t like it. I hope it fails

1. Susie says:

get some earplugs

1. Jill says:

What an asinine statement.

Why don’t YOU get a cork. You know where to put it.

1. Susie says:

I’m not the one whining about some stupid fireworks.

2. jackactionhero says:

Teenagers won’t be eligible to purchase bottle rockets unless they are 18.
      Your neighborhood is YOUR problem. It isn’t something all 6 million Minnesotans should pay the price for Randy…

1. Rockets Red Glare says:

I’m happy to here that you won’t be able to buy bottle rockets, you have the brain of an 8 year old.

1. jackactionhero says:

I have 2 large fireworks stores within 2 miles of my home, and I’m well over 18. Maybe I’ll be doing my fireworks display near your campsite this year. Wouldn’t that be grand?

17. Bill says:

What is with this state, they have a chance to take in more money on taxes from the sale of fire works, but noooo they would rather have us spend our money in Wisconsin, North and South Dakota. I take it they dont think we are grown up enough to handle fireworks safely. As for the noise complaints get over it, it is Our National Holiday celebrate it don’t complain about it.

18. Bettylarue says:

Boys, there are a whole lot of ways the state could “take in money”……many of them as stupidly irresponsible as this idea. Only idiots ignite incendiaries.

1. jackactionhero says:

There is nothing irresponsible about safe fun. If you are scared of a firecracker on a stick, perhaps you should hide in the TV room and tell the nurses to shut the shades on the windows.

You have not demonstrated that bottle rockets are “stupid” or “irresponsible” yet. Do you plan to, or was that just an emotional outburst that you can’t defend?

19. Tommy Solo says:

I hope it never sees the light of day as a law. Regardless of or not minnesotans can handle them the stupid things are obnoxious!!! Why would I want to have more of them shot off down my minneapolis street for weeks before the forth? Then have people shooting them off till 3 in the morning ON the 4th. The fireworks crowd have NO, ZILCH, ZERO respect for anything or anyone.

1. Bert says:

You should be used to noises like that, gunshots, living in dumpsville Minneapolis a haven for thugs and drugs.

2. jackactionhero says:

You find them obnoxious in the inner city, so all 6 million Minnesotans should be stopped from buying them in Minnesota?

If they are already shooting them off until 3 in the morning, what difference will it make if they sell them in MN or if they don’t?

I don’t think you thought your position through very carefully, buddy…

1. desert eagle .50 says:

No, we find YOU obnoxious in the inner city, outer city, out in the country, out of the country, uhhhh, EVERYWHERE!

Don’t you have any shades in the trailer you can close? We’ve seen enough of your prostate exam?

Cna you do this, JAQ, please?

And be specific for once.

3. conservative says:

yeah, it’s only the fireworks crowd that has no respect for anything… good generalization.

20. Freedom says:

Always amazes me how much Democrats have to push their ideals on everyone else.

If you can’t handle fireworks, then don’t buy them and don’t use them.

I think we need to outlaw forks because someone could poke out an eye.

21. desert eagle .50 says:

What street corner does she work? Must be very close to JAQ to make that much $.

Please be specific.

22. Jeremy says:

Seriouisly I get the injury risk but Cmon we’re losing jobs left and right and Wisconsin and South Dakota are reaping the benefits of Minnesotans going to those states to get the illegal fireworks. I have a $20 would you like me to burn it? That’s what we as Minnesotans are doing by letting Wisconsin and South Dakota reap all the profits and tax dollars from people border crossing to get fireworks. John is right in this bill if you go anywhere in this state illegal fireworks are lit off constantly on the week of the 4th. I don’t hear any cops stopping it. If this were the case I don’t think people would run the risk of lighting off fireworks.

Seriously business is business and what MN is doing is pure stupidity by letting our money go to Wisconsin. We are letting go Millions of revenue and tax money go to Wisconsin. It’s about time we reap the money that we’re giving Wisconsin.

23. Paul Begala says:

Don’t bet on it……

Minnesota is loaded with dopey liberal moonbats who are waaaaaaaay too stupid to think for themselves.