MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – The area surrounding Lake of the Isles has seen a rash of garage burglaries in the past month, according to Minneapolis city officials.
The Fifth Precinct, which includes the Kenwood, Lowry Hill, Cedar-Isles-Dean and East Isles neighborhoods, has been the center of these burglaries, with bicycles as the main loss.
These burglaries appear to occur most often in the late afternoon or overnight hours.
In most cases, the targeted garage or service doors were unlocked, while some cases saw doors pried open.
In order to protect yourself from garage theft, here are some tips courtesy of Minneapolis Police:
* Lock all of your doors, including the garage.
* Consider installing outdoor lighting for your home and garage, including motion sensors.
* Record the serial numbers on your bicycle and store them in a safe place.
* Keep alleyways clear so patrol cars have easy access.
* Call 911 to report crime and suspicious activity.
Click here for more information on these crimes and other crime prevention tips.