WCCO EYE4 LOGO WCCO Radio wcco-eye-white01, ww color white

Local

June Storm & Flooding Damage = $108 Million

View Comments
Duluth Flooding 2012 June

(credit: Northland’s NewsCenter)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Today's Most Popular Video
  1. 4 Things To Know From 09/01
  2. Patty Wetterling Asks Son's Abductor 5 Questions
  3. Vacuum Salesman Eats Pasta From Subway Floor
  4. Bar Abilene In Uptown Closes
  5. Viral Vid Of The Day: Stuffed Dog Scares Real Dogs

ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) – Thirteen Minnesota counties and three tribal nations have been declared major disaster areas, and are now eligible for federal public assistance.

According to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, Gov. Mark Dayton secured a major federal disaster declaration on Friday for Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Crow Wing, Dakota, Goodhue, Kandiyohi, Lake, Meeker, Pine, Rice, Sibley and St. Louis counties, as well as the Fond du Lac Tribal Nation, the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe and the Grand Portage Tribal Nation.

The declaration includes two categories of aid: Public Assistance and the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. The Public Assistance category involves aid to state, local governments and counties, as well as certain private non-profit organizations for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities.

And the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program is aid for actions taken to prevent or reduce long-term risk to life and property from natural hazards. All Minnesota counties are eligible to apply for aid under this program.

Eligible work includes removal of debris, and emergency services related to the disaster and repair or replacement of damaged roads, bridges, buildings, utilities and recreation areas.

75 percent of the approved cost will be funded by FEMA, and the remaining 25 percent is a state/local match.

Gov. Dayton also requested individual assistance damage assessments on July 11 for Aitkin, Carlton, Lake, Pine and St. Louis counties, as well as the Fond du Lac Tribal Nation.

This type of assistance gives federal grants to citizens and private businesses who have suffered damages and losses not covered by insurance.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,824 other followers