WCCO EYE4 LOGO WCCO Radio wcco-eye-red01, ww color red

Local

Minn. Government’s Budget Fallback Goes Away

View Comments
(credit: Jupiter Images)

(credit: Jupiter Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Today's Most Popular Video
  1. 4 Things To Know For July 25, 2014
  2. 4-Vehicle Crash On 35W In Roseville Stalls Morning Commute
  3. A Car That Drives Itself?
  4. Knoblauch Accused Of Assault On Ex-Wife
  5. Goin’ To The Lake: Amelia & Angela Camp In The BWCA

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A $600 million line of credit that has served as a safety valve for Minnesota’s cash-strapped government has expired and won’t be renewed.

John Pollard of the Minnesota Management and Budget Department says officials decided the state’s finances had stabilized enough to do without the credit line. Minnesota paid nearly $4 million to open and maintain it for two years even though it was never tapped.

Then-Gov. Tim Pawlenty’s administration made the arrangement in 2010 with private lenders to make sure it could pay day-to-day bills without interruption. The credit line was renewed last year under Gov. Mark Dayton.

Money flows in and out of state government coffers unevenly, making a financial cushion important. Pollard says key state accounts have rebounded to the point where a cash shortage is unlikely.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus