MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Minneapolis Police say a man now faces criminal charges after allegedly threatening his wife with a blowtorch and ax earlier this month.
Forty-year-old Richard Scott Armstrong was arrested on Sept. 17 after officers responded to a domestic assault call at 30th Avenue South.
Police said Armstrong was holding a blowtorch when they arrived on the scene. There was a struggle before officers were able to take Armstrong into custody.
Investigators say Armstrong’s wife claimed the assault happened after she initiated divorce proceedings against him. She told officers he chased her around the house with a double-bladed ax after saying he wanted to “talk with her.”
The victim said her children were at home at the time of the assault. She said she managed to escape with them to a parked car.
Armstrong now faces felony charges of making terroristic threats.
He is currently in custody at Hennepin County Jail.