MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Minnesota Orchestra management have rejected two counter offers by the union representing its musicians.
The initial offer made by musicians was to avoid a lockout set for Monday at midnight, and the second was to “Play and Talk” – allowing the musicians to work as both parties were in the negotiation process.
Management’s offer would cut yearly salaries from $135,000 a year to $89,000, and musicians would also pay more for health insurance.
Tim Zavadil plays clarinet in the Orchestra, which is scheduled to hold its first performance of the year on October 18.
NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Susie Jones Reports
“It would be our intention to make sure that concert happens. If management decides to lock us out and cancel concerts, that’s something that can’t be helped,” Zavadil said.
But Zavadil remains hopeful.
“We want to serve the community that we love, and we want to keep playing concerts, and that’s what we’ll do is keep trying to find an agreement,” he said.
Last week, Orchestra management announced that new fundraising has netted $97 million for its “Building for the Future” fund. That includes over $50 million for a new lobby at Orchestra Hall.