Local

Minneapolis Dispatch Makes Changes After Workplace Shooting

View Comments
police lights, police generic, minneapolis

(credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Today's Most Popular Video
  1. Here's How To Keep Your Family Healthy This Flu Season
  2. 4 Things To Know For Oct. 21, 2014
  3. The Lowdown: 'Breaking Bad' Dolls Enrage Parents
  4. Free Financial Advice This Weekend In St. Paul
  5. MN Family Wants Down Syndrome Diagnoses To Change

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – The City of Minneapolis says it plans to change the way it handles emergency calls in the wake of last month’s deadly mass shooting at Accent Signage.

Police said Andrew Engeldinger, an employee there, was fired last month and shortly after a meeting with executives there, opened fire in the building. He killed five workers there, including the owner, and wounded three others before turning the gun on himself in the basement of the building.

Immediately after the shootings started, witnesses and residents in the area flooded the Minneapolis 911 Dispatch Center with calls. Officials say as many as six 911 calls to report the shooting went unanswered.

Starting this week, people who call 911 and don’t get an answer within 10 seconds will get a recorded message instructing them to stay on the line until a dispatcher is available.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,903 other followers