Police: Alcohol A Factor In Fatal St. Cloud Fire

ST. CLOUD, Minn. (WCCO) — Investigators think alcohol was a factor in a St. Cloud fire that left one college student dead and another person injured.

The Nov. 24 fire on the 500 block of 8th Avenue South killed 23-year-old Kyle Kopischke, a student from Comfrey studying at St. Cloud Technical College.

It appears the fire began in the kitchen and moved throughout the walls, ceilings and roof of the building. Investigators found that two of the stove’s burners were turned on.

The smoke detector in the building was disabled and located on a shelf in the victim’s bedroom with the battery removed. There were no sprinklers in the structure.

Also injured in the fire was 22-year-old Kevin Murphy, of St. Cloud. He suffered a number of injuries, including smoke inhalation.

Investigators believe that alcohol was a factor in the incident.


One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From WCCO | CBS Minnesota

Good Question

Listen Live