MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Officials say most of downtown Minneapolis should be back to normal on Monday after being flooded with 14 million gallons of water late last week.
A water main was ruptured last Thursday at Hennepin Avenue and 2nd Street when an excavation contractor was working near the pipe. City officials said they are still doing repairs to the line, but temporary lines are helping restore water to any businesses that were still without service.
Officials said that water may not be drinkable so to be safe, people who are affected should boil it first. Minneapolis officials say it’s too early to estimate the cost of a break, but the U.S. Postal Service alone may have $500,000.
As of Monday morning, all northbound lanes of Hennepin Avenue are back open. The southbound side of Hennepin Avenue is still closed from 1st Street to Washington Avenue, and 2nd Street is closed between Hennepin and 1st Avenue N.