MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A number of school children had to take an unexpected field trip to a nearby fire station when a boiler exploded at Lake Harriet Upper Elementary School Thursday.
Authorities said the boiler explosion happened at the Community School Upper Campus at about 12:30 p.m.
It was contained, and there was no ensuing fire, officials said. However, students and faculty were evacuated from the building and moved to the Minneapolis Fire Department’s nearby station due to the cold conditions outside.
The building was cleared for re-entry and students returned at around 2:30 p.m. The building retained its temperature.
Parents were told they did not need to pick up their children.
Repairs to the boiler were completed around 3 p.m.