Reporting Susie Jones
ST. PAUL (WCCO) – Two people are in the hospital after an apartment fire in St. Paul Monday afternoon.
The fire started about 2:30 p.m. at 1876 E. Magnolia Ave, which is a two-story building. Residents say two people who lived in an upstairs corner unit fell asleep with food cooking on the stove.
St. Paul Fire Marshall Steve Zaccard says the fire was contained to one unit.
“I don’t know why they couldn’t get out, there was a smoke detector in there,” Zaccard said.
NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Susie Jones Reports
Zaccard says the two victims were unconscious when they were transported to the Hennepin County Medical Center. A firefighter also suffered minor injuries.
There was no sprinkler system in the apartment.