MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – In Minneapolis Monday, President Obama made his case for new gun restrictions in the wake of a series of gun massacres, including the deadliest workplace shooting in Minneapolis history last year at Accent Signage.
The president met with survivor John Souter who spoke publicly Monday for the first time. Souter was the first person shot by Andrew Engeldinger, and he’s still recovering from serious injuries.
“It’s been a struggle. Some days are better than others. You go up and down. It’s tough,” Souter said.
More than four months after the workplace nightmare, Souter was among the guests at a private roundtable meeting with President Obama discussing gun violence.
The president later cited Minneapolis on a grim list of cities suffering gun massacres, including Newtown and Aurora. He also pressed Congress for a ban on military style assault weapons, universal background checks and a mental health system that may have prevented the Accent shootings.
“No law or set of laws can keep our children completely safe. But if there is even one thing we can do, if there’s just one life we can save – we’ve got an obligation to try,” President Obama said.
Souter said he supports the president’s push for gun restrictions in the face of a reluctant Congress.
“If we don’t have the moral courage to support the president of the United States, shame on us,” he said.
in a statement Monday, the Republican Party of Minnesota says it’s time for the president to start governing rather than holding campaign style events and rallies. They say he should get back to Washington and focus on the economy and averting a debt crisis.