Each week Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl shares a couple of new recipes on her Saturday show, “Off The Menu”. This week, in honor of St. Patty’s Day of course, it’s Beets and Cabbage!
Dara’s Easiest Oven Roast Cabbage:
- Cut a whole green cabbage into slices or quarters, all of close to the same size so they cook at the same rate.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Brush cabbage with olive oil, using a pastry brush, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and, if you have it, caraway seeds.
- Cook for about half an hour until the cabbage becomes slightly charred on the outside.
- Serve beside corned beef! (And if you’re making that, Dara’s guest Damian McConn of Summit Brewing suggested you braise it in their Great Northern Porter)
Arugula, feta, and beet salads:
- One 8 ounce package of already cooked beets (I got mine at Kowalski’s) or, a bunch of beets, oven roasted and peeled.
- If the beets are different sizes, cut them to make them the same size. If you prefer slices, slice!
- Make a simple vinaigrette, with one part red wine and two parts olive oil
- Toss over the beets, and add salt and pepper.
- Use the liquid at the bottom of the bowl to dress arugula or baby spinach
- Place dressed greens in bowls or on plates to serve.
- Top each pile of greens with a few beets, and scatter feta or goat’s cheese on top.
- If you want to go crazy, add a few craisins, dried cherries, or a few spiced nuts or pumpkin seeds and serve!
Listen each week for more recipes and if you have questions or recommendations for Dara, send a note here!