Preteen Accused Of Hoaxing School Shooting To Appear In Court
NEW PRAGUE, Minn. (WCCO) — The 12-year-old boy accused of reporting a fake school shooting in New Prague must appear in court on Monday.
Police say the boy made two false 911 calls last Wednesday, reporting a shooting at New Prague Middle School. The 911 call said there was a person “with an AK-47,” and that two people had been injured.
The police chief said the student called in the prank using a deactivated cell phone, which was only capable of making 911 calls. At this time, they do not know what the student’s motivation was for the prank calls.
The campus was put on lockdown for hours, but no shooting ever took place and no one was hurt. The student now faces a felony terroristic threat charge.
The boy’s attorney, Marsh Halberg, appeared in Scott County Juvenile court with his client last Thursday. Halberg said the boy may not fully understand what his alleged actions put frightened parents through.
“He’s just not in a position to absorb all of that at this point,” Halberg said. “I think at some point as part of the learning tool, I certainly hope that he will see the videos of these terrorized parents rushing to the school imagining the worst.”
Halberg also said the boy has some “life issues,” but has not been in any legal trouble before this incident.
On Monday, the boy will be back in court where attorneys can discuss the conditions of his release.
Halberg says the boy’s family plans to have around the clock surveillance on him once he’s released into the custody of his parents.