Menahga Wildfire Now 80 Percent Contained
Get Breaking News First
Today's Most Popular Video
- Dancin' Grandpa Turns Down For Nothing During '50s Medley
- 4 Things To Know For July 23, 2014
- Top Mpls. Chefs To Pair Dishes With City's Finest Craft Brews
- Recall On Some Fruit Sold At Costco, Trader Joe’s, Sam’s
- <a href="http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/10395857-video/"The Lowdown: EPA Tweets About Kim Kardashian
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – The wildfire in northwestern Minnesota is now 80 percent contained, authorities said Friday, and no structures have been destroyed in the last 24 hours.
The Green Valley Fire has destroyed 12 residences, two commercial properties and 41 other structures since flaring up on private property near Menahga, Minn., Tuesday afternoon.
Crews battled the blaze Friday, locating hotspots with a helicopter and then snuffing them on foot. Saturday’s forecast of significant rain should help firefighters contain the wildfire further.
On Saturday, landowners in the area will be visited to discuss rehabilitation needs, such as leveling bulldozer lines, the Minnesota Incident Command System said.