Health Officials Report First West Nile Death Of 2013
ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) – Officials with the Minnesota Department of Health said the first death from West Nile virus in the state for 2013 was reported Monday.
Health department officials said so far this year, there have been 16 cases of the mosquito-based virus reported in Minnesota. There were 70 cases of West Nile virus, including one death, reported last year.
Officials said most people who become infected with the virus don’t develop any symptoms. But about one in five people can develop a fever with symptoms including a headache, body aches, joint pains, vomiting or a rash.
Health department officials did not release any information about the person who died from the virus.