WCCO Radio Rally: August 29-30
WCCO is proud to bring back our Friday night High School Football show, the WCCO Radio Rally! Host Steve Thomson brings you all the scores, game reports, interviews and updates from around the state each Friday from 8 p.m. to midnight. With contributions from Dave Lee, Mike Max, Sid Hartman and WCCO TV, expect the best High School coverage from all over Minnesota.
Each week, WCCO will bring you the Top 10 Metro Area teams from all classes, plus the US Army Reserves MVP and what to expect from the week ahead. Check back for updates all through the season from the WCCO Rally team!
Here is the first WCCO High School Football Power Poll of the season for August 30th, 2013
1. Eden Prairie: The returning 6A Champs bring back another strong team (Next: vs. Elk River 8/29)
2. Totino Grace: The 5A Champ moves up with the big boys and will again challenge for a title (Next: vs. Coon Rapids 8/29)
3. Minnetonka: The Skippers are loaded and confident after big win last week (Next: at Shakopee 8/29)
4. Wayzata: Three Lake Conference teams in our top four…yes, they’re that good (Next: at Rosemount 8/29)
5. Prior Lake: The preseason hype is huge for Lakers but they’ll have to prove it on the field (Next: vs. Eagan 8/30)
6. Hutchinson: The returning 4A Champs are good again but can they hang with bigger schools (Next: vs. Becker 8/29)
7. Maple Grove: Great regular season run last year and should be able to duplicate it (Next: vs. Robbinsdale Armstrong 8/29)
8. East Ridge: Line up heavy with Division 1 recruits and they’ll be a challenge (Next: vs. White Bear Lake 8/29)
9. Edina: Hornets are the defending Lake champ and with big first week win, they’re ready to defend (Next: at Blaine 8/29)
10. Lakeville North: They have a tough opener against cross-city rival that will tell us a lot (Next: vs. Lakeville South 8/29)
US Army Reserves MVP (for games August 22nd-23rd)
Minnetonka QB Nick Rooney: The 6’2”, 200 lb. Senior completed 12 of 15 passes for 208 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for two more in the Skippers 43-23 blowout win over Hudson last Friday night in the season opener for both teams.
Big Games to Watch This Week (August 29th-30th)
Edina at Blaine
Elk River at Eden Prairie
Lakeville North vs. Lakeville South
Wayzata at Rosemount
Becker at Hutchinson
Mahtomedi at Spring Lake Park
Eagan at Prior Lake
De La Salle vs. St Croix Lutheran (should be a great game)
Benilde St. Margaret at Albany
Litchfield at Orono
Minneapolis North at St Paul Como Park
Don’t forget to listen each Friday night from 8:00-Midnight for the WCCO Radio Rally with Steve Thomson and tune in for the High School Sports Rally with Mike Max during the 10 p.m. news on WCCO TV!