With Weeks Zero and One in the books, the Minnesota High School football season is now in full swing. There were a couple of early surprises, but for the most part, the top teams in the state have made it through the first game or two unscathed. There was some shuffling in our top 10 as a few teams were able to prove themselves against some top competition. And, of course, there several games again this week we’ll be spotlighting. Here’s this week’s roundup of action on the WCCO Radio Rally!
WCCO Radio Rally Power Poll Week 3:
1. Eden Prairie: Returning 6A champ beat Elk River 56-17 for an impressive start to the season.
2. East Ridge: Line-up dotted with college recruits and they showed it, outscoring White Bear Lake 41-15
3. Minnetonka: Already 2-0 after topping Shakopee 28-14
4. Prior Lake: Lakers beat Eagan in the opener 40-21
5. Wayzata: Wayzata nips Rosemount 24-21 in 2OT for a quality, early-season win
6. Totino-Grace: Last year’s 5A champ beat Coon Rapids 23-13
7. Maple Grove: Great regular season run last year and started with shutting out Armstrong 41-0
8. Lakeville North: A tough opener against cross-city rival Lakeville South and won 7-0 last Thursday
9. Andover: The Huskies drilled Champlin Park 42-14
10. Hutchinson: Returning 4A champ held off Becker 16-13 in OT in week 1 for a good win
Mahtomedi beat Spring Lake Park 22-15
Roseville won at Cretin-Dehram Hall 15-12
Out…Edina (1-1) The defending Lake Conference champ whipped Holy Angels in opener, but fell at Blaine in a heartbreaker 21-19 last week.
Army Reserves MVP of the week (Thursday, 8/29 and Friday, 8/30)
Andover Wide Receiver Chris Larson is our Army Reserves MVP of the week with 4 TD’s and more than 300 all purpose yards in an opening night win last Thursday night against Champlin Park. The 6’0, 175 lb. senior returned the opening kickoff 97 yards for a score. He also had 6 receptions for 269 yards and 3 touchdowns in the Huskies 42-14 rout of the Rebels.
Key Games of the Week presented by Chris Rooney Home Experts, “Selling Every Lifestyle”
Hutchinson at Glencoe-Silver Lake
Prior Lake at Eden Prairie
Totino-Grace at Edina
Rosemount at Eastview
East Ridge at Roseville
Listen Friday night for the High School Radio Rally on News Radio 830 WCCO! We’ll have full coverage of week 3 with game reports, coach interviews, all the scores from around the state and more with host Steve Thomson, 8:00-Midnight on WCCO. You can also find podcasts of each show here.