Work Resuming Wednesday At St. Paul Ballpark Site
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Officials with Ryan Companies Construction said work will continue at the site of the new St. Paul Saints stadium on Wednesday, eight days after a worker was killed in a construction accident.
Officials said a private memorial service was held Tuesday for family, friends and co-workers of Johnny Valek, who died last week after a large piece of concrete fell on him during demolition work. Valek was a veteran heavy equipment operator. His job for Rachel Contracting was to tear into that concrete, to bring down the old Gillette manufacturing plant. That’s what he was doing last when a large section of the buildings first and second floors toppled down, crushing Vanek while seated in his cab.
Crews will get back to work Wednesday removing debris and salvaged materials from the site in the Lowertown part of St. Paul.
Officials with Ryan Companies said they do not anticipate the delays at this stage of the construction project will impact the opening of the new ballpark. Other work in several areas of the project has been ongoing to ensure that the project stays on schedule.